What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Ever get that type of cut on the edge of a nostril? That hurts.

Once! Back in the early days when I hadn't sussed out what I was doing. I was attempting shaving against the grain on the moustache, from the outer part of my lip, inwards towards the centre. I was using pressure, and much force to overcome the friction and cutting resistance. I got the angle wrong mid stroke, the edge let go of the stubble, and I whacked myself - hard - right on the edge of the nostril. It took ages to stop bleeding, and kept restarting at inopportune moments over the next couple of days I think.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Once! Back in the early days when I hadn't sussed out what I was doing. I was attempting shaving against the grain on the moustache, from the outer part of my lip, inwards towards the centre. I was using pressure, and much force to overcome the friction and cutting resistance. I got the angle wrong mid stroke, the edge let go of the stubble, and I whacked myself - hard - right on the edge of the nostril. It took ages to stop bleeding, and kept restarting at inopportune moments over the next couple of days I think.

Yeah, once is enough lol. On one of my early MMOC shaves, my right hand wobbled slightly as the blade touched the top of my cheek for the first stroke and I cut myself. That hurt a bit but not like the edge of a nostril.

I did something similar to my earlobe one day, with my MMOC again, but that was because I was in too much of a hurry. Lucky I didnt cut part of it off lol.

I did something similar to my earlobe one day, with my MMOC again, but that was because I was in too much of a hurry. Lucky I didnt cut part of it off lol.

Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Self-portrait_with_bandaged_ear_(1889,_Courtauld_Institute).jpg

I was thinking, "Kryten's mug would be easy to shave!"
I was thinking further, "As a robot, Kryten wouldn't have to shave."
I was thinking even further, "Poor Kryten, he probably even has an attachment for shaving others!"

"Lucky Kryten, he probably has an attachment for everything!"

SOTD
SOTD-FS-W_2020-09-24.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget
Soap: Fine Snake Bite
Razor: Fine Aluminum Slant
Blade: Gillette Blue (4)
ASL: Fine Snake Bite

A fine shave! :laugh:

My new soap arrived today (to match the ASL). It was a very cool shave (pun intended). Al @AimlessWanderer would probably have died... with all that menthol.

Shaving around yesterday's accidental cut was a bit tedious. From the look of it I won't be able to shave over that area for about a week. It's kinda boring, like getting lines from the teacher, but that'll larn me. :yesnod: Looking on the bright side, it might help tweak my technique too. :smile1:

Happy shaves guys! :001_smile

Last edited:
SOTD
SOTD-FS-B_2020-09-25.jpg

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget
Soap: Fine Snake Bite
Blade: Gillette Blue (5)
ASL: Fine Snake Bite

Another fine shave! :laugh:

This is beginning to look like an advertising campaign for Fine... but I assure you it isn't. I'm just enjoying their products, with the shiny Fine Slant Razor at the top of my list.

Happy shaves guys! :001_smile

SOTD
SOTD-FS-K_2020-09-27.jpg

Brush: Shavemac 18/44 Silvertip D01 2-Band
Soap: Vitos Red
Blade: Gillette Blue (7)
ASL: Reuzel

Back with some old friends today resulting in (surprise) an excellent shave! :cornut:

I've enjoyed the Fine Snake Bite chilling fun, but I think that'll be just occasional use for me. I love the (albeit faint) marzipan scent of good ol' Vitos Red, and the apple/lard scent of Reuzel is really nice to finish off with. Of course, different noses will detect different scents to mine. Ain't we a strange bunch? :crazy:

Happy shaves all y'all. :biggrin:

SOTD
SOTD-FS-W_2020-10-03.jpg

Brush: (New) Omega 11047 Mixed Midget
Cream: CRS Classic Almond
Blade: Silver Star (4)
ASL: Fine L'Orange Noir

A very fine shave. :biggrin:

TL;DRers stop here. :wink2:

All very nice gear, including my brand new Omega Mixed Midget. No doubt having been left for a few years with its last soap glued to its hairs and bristles by the chemicals in my extra hard water... my original one started to shed in a major kinda way. So I thanked it for its service and placed it gently in the bin. Then after a couple of days grieving I ordered a new one.

I'm amazed that after a standard "Cal brush prep (1½ hours)" my new Mixed Midget feels completely broken in, and lots of the boar bristles have new split ends. It took my original Mixed Midget AGES to get to that stage; but it never had the benefit of citric acid treated water.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
No doubt having been left for a few years with its last soap glued to its hairs and bristles by the chemicals in my extra hard water... my original one started to shed in a major kinda way. So I thanked it for its service and placed it gently in the bin.

Ahh, the joys of natural brushes. I remember it well :biggrin1:

I was very nearly tempted for an Edwin Jagger badger brush recently. They had them reduced from £50 to £40, or thereabouts. I think it might have been seeing your mixed midget that got me thinking about natural brushes again. I've never tried a badger brush, and having found a cream I really like, the idea became appealing again. I went from looking at the mixed midget to bouncing between that Jagger and the Wee Scot by Simpsons.

I couldn't do it though.

Having to go back to infrequent shaves to let the brush dry, or having to swap and change brushes all the time to let them dry that way, is not something I want to do. I do like the shaves I got with my boar brushes, but the lower hassle maintenance of synthetics has won me over now. That badger brush quickly changed in my mind from rather tempting, to additional hassle that I don't need.

Sorry your old midget met its demise, but thanks for reminding me why I went full time synthetic :tongue_sm

Top Bottom