What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Light blue, Mickey's arms as hands? My grandparents made our first watch a standard present for each of us at grade 4.
Mine was from the 1960s and looked like this with a black wristband:
s-l1600_28.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
KCG is my Excalibur blade - I am on 18 shaves and counting. Still feels like new. So at the rate this is going and the KCG blades I have in stock I can enjoy some 8-10 years of good shaves!

Guido
Unfortunately, as I started shaving yesterday, my KCG was tugging instead of cutting.... I'm not sure what happened. My third shave seemed fine... both sides were tugging so I just changed blades to a Wizamet.

That is sort of interesting. I didn't particularly enjoy the way the blade felt. It cut but certainly wasn't smooth. Perhaps they smooth out a bit on subsequent shaves. I sure hope so since I bought 250 of them. I know Wizamets are @Chan Eil Whiskers / Jim's favorite blade. I do have a pretty serious set of whiskers. You know... old man, wiry, grey whiskers. Pretty dense, though perhaps not Italian dense.

I was hoping to avoid a DE blade research project. I guess if I found a better source for KCG blades where they didn't cost $.60 a piece, I could just stick with them.....

Unfortunately, as I started shaving yesterday, my KCG was tugging instead of cutting.... I'm not sure what happened. My third shave seemed fine... both sides were tugging so I just changed blades to a Wizamet.

That is sort of interesting. I didn't particularly enjoy the way the blade felt. It cut but certainly wasn't smooth. Perhaps they smooth out a bit on subsequent shaves. I sure hope so since I bought 250 of them. I know Wizamets are @Chan Eil Whiskers / Jim's favorite blade. I do have a pretty serious set of whiskers. You know... old man, wiry, grey whiskers. Pretty dense, though perhaps not Italian dense.

I was hoping to avoid a DE blade research project. I guess if I found a better source for KCG blades where they didn't cost $.60 a piece, I could just stick with them.....
Sorry to hear, but if it’s any consolation: KCG is a favourite of mine but is not always a smooth ride at all. Particularly on my neck it can be rougher than I would like causing some redness. Tugging not necessarily - it does the job pretty well. Weepers and nicks, yep, had them, because it is a really sharp blade.

My suggestion would be to stick with the blade. Your skin needs adapting to DE shaving (AC blades are different) and that takes time. I have shaved with KCG blades for at least three months straight before I decided to venture out and if they were any cheaper I would not have ventured out at all but instead stock like a mad man.

You will be fine, I know you will - all we need is:

Best,

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Since I've whined in this thread about international shipping times, I'd like to announce, my two new British razors showed up today. The Flat Bottom Tech's top cap is a bit scratched up so I'll send the entire razor to Chris @ Back Roads Gold for his wonderful mirror nickel replate. The 1933 NEW Raised Flat Bottom is in remarkable shape. I can't find any marks or scratches on it anywhere. It has a silver plate or whatever you call the thin silver finishes Gillette used back them... but this thing looks brand new. I know it isn't... but it sure is pristine. I was going to sent it to Chris as well for a nickel finish just to cut down on polishing, etc. but it's so nice, I'm just going to use it for now.

Here are a couple horrible photographs of them. I have some beautiful surfaces around here.... but a light box would produce better photographs. But then, I'd end up using a tripod, my DSLR with a macro lens... Lightroom and Photoshop... that isn't likely to happen. ;)

Unboxing5R.jpg

Unboxing6R.jpg

Edit: the handle on the NEW RFB is thin... I checked Mr. Razor's site... and I can't really determine if that came in a fat handle version. Does anyone know? Anyway, I'm going to have Doug make me a couple handles anyway.. or at least, one, that I can rotate between the three Vintage Gillettes I have.

Since I've whined in this thread about international shipping times, I'd like to announce, my two new British razors showed up today. The Flat Bottom Tech's top cap is a bit scratched up so I'll send the entire razor to Chris @ Back Roads Gold for his wonderful mirror nickel replate.
Congratulations Kim!:001_cool: But you're confusing me. Am I correct in thinking that you now have TWO FBTs? :001_unsur
The 1933 NEW Raised Flat Bottom is in remarkable shape. I can't find any marks or scratches on it anywhere. It has a silver plate or whatever you call the thin silver finishes Gillette used back them... but this thing looks brand new. I know it isn't... but it sure is pristine. I was going to sent it to Chris as well for a nickel finish just to cut down on polishing, etc. but it's so nice, I'm just going to use it for now.
It's well known that Gillette's gold plating (or wash) was thin. But I thought that their silver plating was "normal;" where did you get that info from please, Kim?

Here's my 1939 silver plated NEW RFB:
J2-Silver-RFB-4of8_2022-02-22.jpg

Also featuring on mr-razor.com. :wink2:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I made an assumption.... that because the gold plating was thin, the silver plate was as well... so misinformation on my part. Sorry about that.

And yes.. this is a second FBT. Since they seem to be semi rare, I saw another one and snapped it up. We have two sons and I'd like them each to get one upon my passing.

So is this thin handle the only option offered in 1933 for the NEW RFB? I checked Mr. Razor's site and only saw ones with the same handle on mine. Noticeably thinner than the fat handle on the FBT's I have.

So is this thin handle the only option offered in 1933 for the NEW RFB?
Dunno.

Personally I prefer the Tech Fat Handle on ALL the Gillette three piece razors.

Then, moving into Holy Grail handles we have the 15 gram GT:
1947-FBT-Depart_2022-04-17.jpg

which is 10 grams lighter than the Tech Fat Handle.

Here's a GT Handle with a Gillette Tech Fat Handle beside it, and one inside it, for reference :wink2::
GTand2FatTechs_2022-08-19.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Dunno.

Personally I prefer the Tech Fat Handle on ALL the Gillette three piece razors.

Then, moving into Holy Grail handles we have the 15 gram GT:
View attachment 1507843
which is 10 grams lighter than the Tech Fat Handle.

Here's a GT Handle with a Gillette Tech Fat Handle beside it, and one inside it, for reference :wink2::
View attachment 1507847
I'm already talking to @Rosseforp about handles. I think I like the stainless/copper/brass/bronze combinations. I think I would chose the 14.3mm but not as light as yours. I think 26grams would be perfect for me..... 80mm long. That's just a few mm longer than the stock Tech Fat handle. I guess the 14mm would be fine as well. I don't quite know how they are made... does Doug buy tubing or is he milling out the centers of solid billets, if that is the right word.

Resized_ FBT_Fat_Thin Handle Tech_01.jpg

I'm already talking to @Rosseforp about handles. I think I like the stainless/copper/brass/bronze combinations. I think I would choose the 14.3mm but not as light as yours. I think 26 grams would be perfect for me..... 80mm long. That's just a few mm longer than the stock Tech Fat handle. I guess the 14mm would be fine as well. I don't quite know how they are made... does Doug buy tubing or is he milling out the centers of solid billets, if that is the right word.
I find the 14.3mm diameter GT handle PERFECT. :001_cool:
I also find the 75mm long GT handle PERFECT. :001_tt2:

Obviously, at 26 grams, you're not a Lightweight Handle Fanboy (LHF).

Gillette Tech Fat Handles tend to vary a little dimensionally:
GTand2FatTechs_2022-08-19.jpg

The one beside the GT is 80.1mm x 11.6mm, the one inside the GT is 78mm x 11.6mm. Both weigh ~25g.

Depending on the alloy required (and what's available) Doug uses both tubing and solid rod (drilled out) for the knurled center pieces. I think he uses solid rod for the nose and tail pieces. Mine (above) has an aluminum tube center piece and stainless steel nose and tail pieces.

If I've made any errors as to what Doug (@Rosseforp) does and uses, I'm sure he'll correct me. :biggrin:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I find the 14.3mm diameter GT handle PERFECT. :001_cool:
I also find the 75mm long GT handle PERFECT. :001_tt2:

Obviously, at 26 grams, you're not a Lightweight Handle Fanboy (LHF).

Gillette Tech Fat Handles tend to vary a little dimensionally:
View attachment 1507915
The one beside the GT is 80.1mm x 11.6mm, the one inside the GT is 78mm x 11.6mm. Both weigh ~25g.

Depending on the alloy required (and what's available) Doug uses both tubing and solid rod (drilled out) for the knurled center pieces. I think he uses solid rod for the nose and tail pieces. Mine (above) has an aluminum tube center piece and stainless steel nose and tail pieces.

If I've made any errors as to what Doug (@Rosseforp) does and uses, I'm sure he'll correct me. :biggrin:
Cal, your idea of using metal polish on the Bakelite case was brilliant... It took the dull spots out entirely.... Thanks so much.

SOTD
SOTD-BRG-P_2022-08-20.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 20/46 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Phoenix Scentsless
Razor: Gillette Flat Bottom Tech GT
Blade: King C. Gillette (8)
ASL: Pashana American Bay Rum [hair and scalp tonic :crazy:]

A superb shave. :biggrin:
Being a lover of "the burn" I invested in some Pashana HAIR AND SCALP TONIC as used and recommended by Richard (@EclipseRedRing) as ASL! Based on just the one use, I like the scent a little bit more than my beloved Clubman VIBR. "The burn" was only a tad hotter than VIBR... so basically not that much of a burn at all (to my "gimme that burn" skin).

Nonetheless I'll keep using it for a while to see if it will continue to outperform my VIBR; my face and neck certainly feel good (now two hours post shave). Thank you for the (apparently not so crazy) idea, Richard. The price is right too. :001_cool:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Top Bottom