What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thank you. A tiny brush might be too rich or too scritch for my blood, but I enjoy the photos tons

Reactions: Cal
SOTD
1939-RFB-B_2022-08-02.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget 22/48
Soap: Phoenix Scentsless
Razor: 1939 Gillette NEW RFB GT
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (2)
ASL: Duru Limon Kolonya 80°

A very fine shave. :biggrin:
Shock surprise! My Omega Mixed Midget (one time King of the ScritchMeisters) is now LESS scritchy than my Wee Scot! :w00t:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Cal,

Again, thank you so much for helping me understand the British 30's and 40's razors and making recommendations.

I shaved with my Flat Bottom Tech just a few minutes ago and it was a brilliant performer. It exceeded my expectations. I didn't really think it would match my Claymore Evo in any way..... but, and I realize, I have one shave under my belt, it was equal to the task. The KCG and the Tech worked perfectly together. I got used to the shorter handle very quickly. The only real adjustment was the blade length... after shaving with a 50mm AC blade for 5 months. But that didn't take long. The shave was effortless. The final results the same as I get with my Claymore Evo.

All in all, i couldn't be happier. The condition is semi-pristine. Two little spots on the cap.. one round spot.. 1/32" or so (.8mm) on the top of the cap and what looks like a small nick in the side of one of the edges even smaller. I am rethinking the replate. These imperfections give it just a hint of character, given its age. The rest is perfect, including the handle. The photos made the handle look like the plating had worn off quite a bit.... but no visible wear anywhere.

Thanks so much. It's nice shaving with a piece of history. I wouldn't be impressed with the age if it didn't shave so well. Old for old sake doesn't impress me... but this FBT does. <eg>

Cal,

Again, thank you so much for helping me understand the British 30's and 40's razors and making recommendations.

I shaved with my Flat Bottom Tech just a few minutes ago and it was a brilliant performer. It exceeded my expectations. I didn't really think it would match my Claymore Evo in any way..... but, and I realize, I have one shave under my belt, it was equal to the task. The KCG and the Tech worked perfectly together. I got used to the shorter handle very quickly. The only real adjustment was the blade length... after shaving with a 50mm AC blade for 5 months. But that didn't take long. The shave was effortless. The final results the same as I get with my Claymore Evo.

All in all, i couldn't be happier. The condition is semi-pristine. Two little spots on the cap.. one round spot.. 1/32" or so (.8mm) on the top of the cap and what looks like a small nick in the side of one of the edges even smaller. I am rethinking the replate. These imperfections give it just a hint of character, given its age. The rest is perfect, including the handle. The photos made the handle look like the plating had worn off quite a bit.... but no visible wear anywhere.

Thanks so much. It's nice shaving with a piece of history. I wouldn't be impressed with the age if it didn't shave so well. Old for old sake doesn't impress me... but this FBT does. <eg>
Sound like you need a new signature Kim :cuppa:

Glad it worked out for you too!

Guido

SOTD
SOTD-BRG-K_2022-08-04.jpg

Brush: Shavemac 20/46 Silvertip 2-Band
Razor: Gillette Flat Bottom Tech GT
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (4)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

A very good shave. :biggrin:
The FBT remains on the Number One spot on the podium (so my NEW RFB will just have to stay on the Number Two spot). I think my whiskers have been honing the Wizamet; it definitely feels (even) sharper than when it started out. :w00t:

SOTD
SOTD-BRG-P_2022-08-10.jpg

Brush: Shavemac olive wood 20/44 Silvertip 2-Band
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (6)
ASL: La Rive Cabana

An excellent shave. :biggrin:
Five days growth gone, just like that! The sink took a bit longer to clean up though. I'm celebrating today's new red Paratrooper Watch Strap on my favorite watch, so I had to let them join the party. 🥳

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD
View attachment 1502528 :001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac olive wood 20/44 Silvertip 2-Band
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (6)
ASL: La Rive Cabana

An excellent shave. :biggrin:
Five days growth gone, just like that! The sink took a bit longer to clean up though. I'm celebrating today's new red Paratrooper Watch Strap on my favorite watch, so I had to let them join the party. 🥳

I love the watch. I think I'll go watch shopping. I don't own a wristwatch.

I love the watch. I think I'll go watch shopping. I don't own a wristwatch.
Thank you, Rave. :001_smile

That particular Citizen Promaster Diver (which comes with various face and bezel colors [see the Watch Ya Wearing thread]) is one of the most popular here at B&B. I prefer the simple black face and bezel option. And stangely enough, they're not bank account breakers (less than $200 — if you search long enough).
I have several nice wristwatches, but I rarely wear them. I bet they would look good next to some of my razors too! :thumbsup:

~doug~
I always wear a watch (and only the one pictured above since I got it) barring bed time, ablutions, etc. I love taking walks without my smartphone, that feeling of freedom is bliss. :001_tt1:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
On another note: I had my third shave with a KCG blade in my FBT the other day... no noticeable dulling of the blade. That sort of surprised me since with some AC blades, three is the limit for me. I didn't expect a DE blade to last more than three, that's for sure.

I'll see what it's like this afternoon for the 4th shave.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Thank you, Rave. :001_smile

That particular Citizen Promaster Diver (which comes with various face and bezel colors [see the Watch Ya Wearing thread]) is one of the most popular here at B&B. I prefer the simple black face and bezel option. And stangely enough, they're not bank account breakers (less than $200 — if you search long enough).

I always wear a watch (and only the one pictured above since I got it) barring bed time, ablutions, etc. I love taking walks without my smartphone, that feeling of freedom is bliss. :001_tt1:
Cal, Thank you for the heads up and the link! I will research and shop. This should be fun! When I buy I'll post pictures for the obvious reason.

Reactions: Cal

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I like blue dial watches.. I have a couple decent ones but I wear these cheap ones daily but with a blue dial: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D35W8A/

I don't see the blue dials offered at the moment... I have 4 of them in reserve. I think I paid $15 a piece for them a while back.
That's a nice value for an everyday watch. Back when I wore watches I was a confirmed Timex man. Are they still any good? I did have a vintage Ingersoll Mickey Mouse watch. It wasn't vintage then, lol. It was cool, for a kid.

That's a nice value for an everyday watch. Back when I wore watches I was a confirmed Timex man. Are they still any good? I did have a vintage Ingersoll Mickey Mouse watch. It wasn't vintage then, lol. It was cool, for a kid.
Light blue, Mickey's arms as hands? My grandparents made our first watch a standard present for each of us at grade 4.

On another note: I had my third shave with a KCG blade in my FBT the other day... no noticeable dulling of the blade. That sort of surprised me since with some AC blades, three is the limit for me. I didn't expect a DE blade to last more than three, that's for sure.

I'll see what it's like this afternoon for the 4th shave.
KCG is my Excalibur blade - I am on 18 shaves and counting. Still feels like new. So at the rate this is going and the KCG blades I have in stock I can enjoy some 8-10 years of good shaves!

Guido

Top Bottom