What's new

Calling All Tech Fans

The "Psycho" Tech requires a special key (inserted in the bottom of the handle) to unlock the razor so it can be disassembled to change the blade.

Used in prisons and mental health facilities to prevent access to the razor blade.

The Post-war Techs are brass and are different than the Contract Tech.

Thanks!

Two questions:

What is a Psycho Tech?
Are the brass post war techs without date codes “contractor techs?”

1577749978718.png

I have switched to SE for several months and love ATT SE1 and SE2 a lot.
In these few weeks, I backed to pre-war Tech.
To be honest, I am shocked by its smoothness and efficiency very very much.
I can hardly detect blade chatters which were reported by some gents.
SE1 gives me 15+ hours BBS.
SE2 gives me 18+ hours BBS (with blades retired from SE1.)
pre-war Tech gives me 15 hours BBS.
At this moment, I have two questions about pre-war Tech.
First, what are your best blade combo with Tech?
Second, are there any DE razors sharing much similarities with pre-war Tech?
Thank you.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thank you.

I prefer Kai blades in all my Techs.

Personna Israeli Red, Personna Med Prep and Feather also work.

But Kai is my favorite blade in my Techs.

That's a great question. I've asked it before and have been looking at DE head designs ever since. I recently bought a RazoRock Lupo and posted a few pics of it here. I haven't shaved with it yet, but I hope expect (ever the optimist) it to shave very similarly, looking at the base plate, top cap and overall head design. It is a design which I believe is based on a Wolfman which (I again, believe) was based on a Tech. It appears to have slightly more gap, which is why I wanted to try it; to see if I don't mind more gap. The Karve razors are also much alike in this regard. If I like the Lupo, I will give the Karve razors some consideration. I'm not thrilled about the price, even though they are reasonable to most, particularly after looking at other vintage razors.

I've recently come to the happy conclusion that this is entirely personal. Why happy? Because trying blades is maybe the most fun thing about shaving. And, not expensive. Relatively important to someone like me.

college-money-struggles-small.jpg

That's a great question. I've asked it before and have been looking at DE head designs ever since. I recently bought a RazoRock Lupo and posted a few pics of it here. I haven't shaved with it yet, but I hope expect (ever the optimist) it to shave very similarly, looking at the base plate, top cap and overall head design. It is a design which I believe is based on a Wolfman which (I again, believe) was based on a Tech. It appears to have slightly more gap, which is why I wanted to try it; to see if I don't mind more gap. The Karve razors are also much alike in this regard. If I like the Lupo, I will give the Karve razors some consideration. I'm not thrilled about the price, even though they are reasonable to most, particularly after looking at other vintage razors.

I've recently come to the happy conclusion that this is entirely personal. Why happy? Because trying blades is maybe the most fun thing about shaving. And, not expensive. Relatively important to someone like me.

View attachment 1048309

Dear TinyT,
I am very grateful for your inputs.
Some gents reported that ATT M1 tends to be a good alternative of Tech.
IMHO, ATT has a more classic outlook than Karve does.
Besides, I suggest you a Tech with triangle slot.
It's a miracle.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

To me, nothing shaves 100% like the 1930s-1940s-1950s Techs except a 1930s-1940s-1950s Tech. ;)

The razors I have found that are more "Tech like" than others:
RazoRock Game Changer .68 SB (most "Tech like")
Charcoal Goods Brass Level 2
Karve Brass B-SB plate
RazoRock Game Changer .84 SB
Ikon B1 Standard (Caution: the Ikon is much more aggressive than the Tech)
Blackland Dart (Caution: the Dart is much more aggressive than the Tech)

I only have experience with the ATT Single Edge razor and am unable to comment on their DE designs.

Just my opinion and YMMV :)

Thank you.
I had a great shave with a pre-war Tech this morning, coincidentally.

For blades, or course, everyone is different, but I have had the best results with Feather, Nacet, Personna Med Prep and GSB. Have not tried Kai, though I know David is a huge fan of them.

There are many Tech clones and Tech-influenced designs out there. I discovered by putting a longer, heavier stainless steel handle on my pre-war Tech, the results were improved. My pre-war Tech + Razorock Super Knurl handle combo is quite similar to a Feather AS-D2. An AS-D2 costs around $175, my razor cost under $20, and is all stainless steel and brass. A bargain.

WIN_20191227_14_09_04_Pro (2).jpg

To me, nothing shaves 100% like the 1930s-1940s-1950s Techs except a 1930s-1940s-1950s Tech. ;)

The razors I have found that are more "Tech like" than others:
RazoRock Game Changer .68 SB (most "Tech like")
Charcoal Goods Brass Level 2
Karve Brass B-SB plate
RazoRock Game Changer .84 SB
Ikon B1 Standard (Caution: the Ikon is much more aggressive than the Tech)
Blackland Dart (Caution: the Dart is much more aggressive than the Tech)

I only have experience with the ATT Single Edge razor and am unable to comment on their DE designs.

Just my opinion and YMMV :)

Dear @never-stop-learning,
I appreciate your valuable inputs a lot.
How do you compare Techs from different decades and countries?
Besides, I am quite curious about your comparisons between ATT single edged razors with Tech.

I had a great shave with a pre-war Tech this morning, coincidentally.

For blades, or course, everyone is different, but I have had the best results with Feather, Nacet, Personna Med Prep and GSB. Have not tried Kai, though I know David is a huge fan of them.

There are many Tech clones and Tech-influenced designs out there. I discovered by putting a longer, heavier stainless steel handle on my pre-war Tech, the results were improved. My pre-war Tech + Razorock Super Knurl handle combo is quite similar to a Feather AS-D2. An AS-D2 costs around $175, my razor cost under $20, and is all stainless steel and brass. A bargain.

View attachment 1048457

Dear @Atlantic59,
It's great to hear that Tech also serves well.
At first, I also found Tech was too mild to shave with and hence buy a Magard Razors SS handle.
However, at this moment, I think the original handle is great enough to provide a long-lasting BBS shave.
Just my two cents.

Top Bottom