What's new

Calling All Tech Fans

• DE Razors: Gillette New SC or LC (although I find the SC a touch more comfortable but just as efficient); any of the Gillette/Rotbart/7 O'Clock New RFBs; Mamba .70 and RR Game Changer .84P

• SE Razors: Gem Featherweight, Gem Pushbutton, Gem Contour; Schick Type L

Nice recommendations. The New SC and LC are on my definitely/maybe list. All of the SE razors will be added.

the Gentile is the happy medium, i absolutely love it.

i-got-my-eye-on-you-16234559.png

Recently acquired a few Tech: a Gold Tech, a N°27 with black case, and a N°26. The 26 & 27 are NOS, never used.
View attachment 1046294View attachment 1046295View attachment 1046296

Mine isn't NOS but apparently only got used a couple of times in the first year. The reason for that suggestion are the old blades that came with it. A couple used an a couple NOS but all T1 dated.

Besides the excellent shave the English flat bottem tech's provide I'm really amazed by the sharpness of the knurling.

7868F35B-BE2D-4356-80A7-ECB92CA187F2.jpeg
6778EB7D-2AC7-4DF6-91BE-913129E61031.jpeg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I like my Tech razors mild, not a tech but I know you like Fatip's :yesnod: the Gentile is the happy medium, i absolutely love it.

Most that buy the Piccolo SE with both bases usually move to the OC base in time. The Fatip OC is as mild as you want it to be, it depends on how its used. I've said more than a few times I think of mine when used at a very shallow angle as being as mild as a Gillette Tech, if not even milder, but 5 times as efficient.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Most that buy the Piccolo SE with both bases usually move to the OC base in time. The Fatip OC is as mild as you want it to be, it depends on how its used. I've said more than a few times I think of mine when used at a very shallow angle as being as mild as a Gillette Tech, if not even milder, but 5 times as efficient.

I sure like both - the Techs and the FaTips - and get consistent DFS+/BBS results when using either.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I sure like both - the Techs and the FaTips - and get consistent DFS+/BBS results when using either.

I just posted along those lines. Its a different road to, almost, the same place.

Yesterdays shave with my Tech and a Derby Extra was 3 full passes and 2 cleanups done with considerable buffing for an 8 hour BBS. Pretty good for a Tech shave to me.

Using my Grande and the same blade would be 1 full N/S pass and 1 full buffing pass ATG for a 12 hour BBS. The most telling part for me is, despite how virtually everyone thinks of the Tech as mild, it isnt all that mild to me because of the blade gap it has and the Grande doesnt.

Every time I use a razor with blade gap, even as minor as the amount in a Tech, I'm reminded I dont like it. Yeah, yesterdays shave was comfortable but my Grande is even more comfortable while being far more efficient. More efficient means the blade is on my skin for less time. That makes for a more comfortable shave again.

Different razors and different roads.

I just posted along those lines. Its a different road to, almost, the same place.

Yesterdays shave with my Tech and a Derby Extra was 3 full passes and 2 cleanups done with considerable buffing for an 8 hour BBS. Pretty good for a Tech shave to me...

Correct me if wrong, but if you are doing an XTG pass as one of the three try skipping it and merely doing an ATG pass as your 2nd one.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Correct me if wrong, but if you are doing an XTG pass as one of the three try skipping it and merely doing an ATG pass as your 2nd one.

beard-grain-map-1.jpg

A N>S pass for me is WTG on my cheeks turning to WTG/XTG at my jawline and lower. As I work closer to my chin the growth becomes more WTG other than my two swirl growth patterns.

A S>N pass for me is directly ATG on my cheeks, on my neck under my chin, face of my chin and sides of my mouth.

The areas that becomes irritated the easiest are my two swirl growth patterns either side of my Adams apple. The most comfortable way to shave them is with a razor that has a lot of blade exposure of a rigidly held blade and minimum gap, Grande and MMOC, with a very shallow angle.

Depending on what mood I'm in, sometimes i like the Gentile more, other times the open combs, i get great shaves with both, the Bokër i have is like the Schone razor that is available in the U.S, that one is a great shaver too in it's own right, the Fatip MK1 i prefer over the milder updated version, one WTG pass & one ATG & a few touchups I'm set to go.
IMG_20191225_200209.jpg

IMG_20191225_200029.jpg

20191225_194259.jpg

left: MK1, middle: Bokër, right: MK2

I found a very good razor combo today using a vintage pre-war Gillete Tech + Razorock Super Knurl handle + fresh Feather blade. I thought the heavier and longer Super Knurl handle would feel unbalanced, but the combo felt more like a Feather AS-D2, for very low cost (that is a Scratch & Dent handle, BTW, you can't tell, though).

WIN_20191227_14_09_04_Pro (2).jpg

Does anyone have suggestions for other handles they have found that work well with vintage Techs?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I found a very good razor combo today using a vintage pre-war Gillete Tech + Razorock Super Knurl handle + fresh Feather blade. I thought the heavier and longer Super Knurl handle would feel unbalanced, but the combo felt more like a Feather AS-D2, for very low cost (that is a Scratch & Dent handle, BTW, you can't tell, though).

View attachment 1047154

Does anyone have suggestions for other handles they have found that work well with vintage Techs?

I like the Timeless TRH6 Ti, the 80mm - 90mm Russian Ti handles (auction site) and the Maggard MR11. The RazoRock Bulldog is also not bad.

YMMV

SOTD

Post War Tech, Proraso Red, Personna Red (6), Colonel x2L.

I’m liking this Tech very much.
Today was a two pass (WTG -XTG) and touch up at the corner of my jaw.
What’s not to like?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Here is my shave from yesterday.

Shave 20191227

20191227_143157~2.jpg

Prep: Splashed water on face
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: AP Shave Co. 24mm SynBad Synthetic
Cream: Cyril R. Salter Wild Rose
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: Gillette #34 Tech (Germany), TiBam Handle
Blade: PolSilver SI (2)
Post-shave: Crystal Alum Stick, Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave Balm: Thayer's AS Balm w/Aloe
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

WTG, ATG then XTG twice using different angles. Minor touch-up and buffing.

BBS with zero weepers nicks, cuts or irritation.

9++/10

In my personal 'Tech Ranking', the German #34 Tech is bettered only by the Hybrid Tech. High praise indeed.

The shave is smooth, comfortable and 'Tech Efficient'. A very relaxing shave.

Todays' shave was with a 1903 Old Type. King Gillette got it right the first time with his first razor. Got the best shave of the month with a new Wilkinson Sword blade, and my no angst Williams Puck lathering procedure.
A single pass shave would have been sufficient, but since I had enough lather left in the bowl, I did the other 2 passes simply as cean-ups and feelgood.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Two questions:

What is a Psycho Tech?
Are the brass post war techs without date codes “contractor techs?”

The "Psycho" Tech requires a special key (inserted in the bottom of the handle) to unlock the razor so it can be disassembled to change the blade.

Used in prisons and mental health facilities to prevent access to the razor blade.

The Post-war Techs are brass and are different than the Contract Tech.

Top Bottom