What's new

Calling All Tech Fans

I've just had my first shave with a made in England Gillette tech and it was absolutely stellar. This is the first different razor I've tried since soldiering on with a Merkur 34C and I couldn't get near to what I've managed today in terms of post shave comfort, closeness and, most importantly of all for me, in-shave comfort.

Can anyone who really likes Techs and isn't crazy about Merkur/EJ type razors tell me what other razors they like? I have a Fatip on my shortlist at the moment as I've noticed that many people who like Techs also like Fatips, but one more razor will hardly be enough! Before todays experience I was only really thinking about OC's because I sometimes like to go for 3 or 4 days without a shave, but the way I've just taken care of 2 1/2 days of stubble with the tech as me re-thinking.

I have noticed the different head geometry between the Merkur and the Tech. With the 34C, when I load a blade and tighten the razor not only can I see the blade bend I can often hear it creaking. I suspect that the curving of the blade is intended to provide rigidity because the blade is otherwise not very well supported. The Tech, by contrast, supports the blade between the top and bottom cap, requiring less bending of the blade to impart rigidity. Subsequently, even with reputedly very sharp blades, I would often get tugging and skipping with the Merkur, to the point where I could hear twanging with certain particularly tough whiskers. None of this happened with the Tech. I'm not suggesting that this is an extrememly rigid razor, certainly when compared to SE's, but compared to the 34C it's much more rigid. Rigid enough for me at this stage, in any case, which hopefully gives me more options when it comes to feeding my looming RAD.

This is not intended as a criticism of Merkur/EJ type razors. I know they have many fans, I just don't think they're the kind of razor for me. I haven't posted this in the DE forum because I'm interested to hear from any Straight and SE shavers that may have had a similar Tech experience in the past.

I like my Techs, but I am still trying to come to terms with my Fatip Piccolo. Today was my second shave in a row with it. First with a carbon steel Treet, second with a Shark platinum. My next shave with it will probably be an Israeli Personna.

This is like my "3 Days of The Condor" thing...except I don't look like Robert Redford. Three Days of The Piccolo.

Even now, I would weigh in in favor of the Tech over the Piccolo. The Tech, be it gold plated, nickel, or aluminum, is just better than the Piccolo.

Techs are fantastic. If they're the best you've found so far, there are a bunch of variants to try. The NEW short-comb and NEW long-comb have pretty similar geometry to the Tech so if you want to branch out from Techs a bit, I'd go there.

I used my Tech for a while, and still bring it out from time to time. A few months after acquiring the tech, I bought an ATT with an M1 baseplate and Kronos handle. I used that for a while and found it to be even milder than the Tech, by a small bit. I also preferred a shorter handle, so then I got the Atlas handle and an R1 baseplate, which suits me just about perfectly. Like I said, though, I still go back to the Tech from time to time, and really like it.

Gillette Techs are ok if one's beard isn't heavy, but the Star DE from circa 1946 to 1959 is similar, but better in design, appearance and in performance.

I have two Techs. One is an aluminum Tech made in England, and the other is a Ball End Tech made in Argentina. Both are great shavers, but I prefer the British one.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Gillette Techs (pre-war through the 1950s) are, in my opinion, some of the best DE razors ever made. I always get a wonderful, smooth DFS, or better, shave.

My personal 'Top 5' Techs:

Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid (England)
Gillette #34 Tech (Germany)
Gillette Flat Bottom Tech (England)
Gillette Pre-war Fat Handle Triangle Slot Tech (Canada)
Gillette 1950s #24 Ball Handle Tech (England)
Above used with Timeless TRH6 Ti, RazoRock Halo Ti or Maggard MR11 handle.

Incredible razors. :)

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

Last edited:
I like the mamba 70 . Same blade angle , but a touch more efficient. Same can be said for the Baili BR171.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You can search all over and spend lots of money and never beat a Tech.

It is as close to perfect at face feel as anything else I've tried.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
The Gillette Techs (pre-war through the 1950s) are, in my opinion, some of the best DE razors ever made. I always get a wonderful, smooth DFS, or better, shave.

My personal 'Top 5' Techs:

Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid (England)
Gillette #34 Tech (Germany)
Gillette Flat Bottom Tech (England)
Gillette Pre-war Fat Handle Triangle Slot Tech (Canada)
Gillette 1950s #24 Ball Handle Tech (England)
Above used with Timeless TRH6 Ti, RazoRock Halo Ti or Maggard MR11 handle.

Incredible razors. :)

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)
:thumbup1: This guy has sort of made it a mission to seek out and enjoy the wide variety of Tech Clones the world has provided...(Check out The Tech Clone Wars thread).

There is a reason that there have been so many variations of the Tech produced...its a fantastic razor. I'll echo what was said earlier, you might try a Gillette New. They tend to be a bit more aggressive then the Tech in my experience but not uncomfortably so by any stretch. They are also OC, which you mentioned you were looking for.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This guy has sort of made it a mission to seek out and enjoy the wide variety of Tech Clones the world has provided...(Check out The Tech Clone Wars thread).

tumblr_n0ymmj5Ecf1s7xk0go1_500.gif

:)

Quoted For Truth.

I've used my English-made 1953 Ball End Tech almost everyday since it I inherited it because of two things: 1) I feel close to my Dad when I use it; and 2) a Tech will always give you a great shave. Regardless of which razor I use to start a shave, I almost always end it with a touchup pass with my Tech because it's efficient enough to remove the last traces of stubble, yet still leaves my face refreshed and irritation-free. Even with the sharpest blades, they are very forgiving. That's particularly welcome for those whose technique isn't quite up to snuff, which is why it makes a great beginner's razor.

Speaking of the other DE razors that I own, I think that I have a small, but diverse range: 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable; RazoRock Game Changer .84-P, RazoRock Old Type OC, and Merkur 34C HD. The first two are more aggressive razors that I use for my initial passes, and the last two are milder razors that I'd normally use for touchup passes. I formerly used the 34C as my touchup razor, but put it in storage when I inherited the Tech.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I should add: the Tech is REALLY easy to use with your weak hand if you injure your strong hand.

Also, those who said the Gillette New LC is a great razor are absolutely correct. Like the Tech, you almost have to try to cut yourself for it to bite you at all.

Never been bitten by a tech. I'm on my way to my third one. I do like my black beauty as well, but I find myself migrating back to the tech after a while.

I'll try the new lady Gillette that's on its' way (hopefully in decent condition, the pictures were meh) and report back, lol, but I find I haven't touched my super speed since I bought it ages ago and restored it.

Techs are great. I have a problem now though as in the last month or so I have gone from no vintage Gillette Razors to 6 1/2. I have:

Triangle slot fat handle tech
Oval slot ball end
New Short Comb Common Bar Handle
New Long Comb Ball end Handle
FatBoy
Slim Adjustable
Old Type with a new handle

All provide great shaves. I reach for the Open Combs a lot and the Fat Handle Tech.

Also the clones are great, but my favorite is the global shave Sumatra for looks, and feel.

+1

I've not really bought/used anything since buying a Tech, aside from more Techs.

UK Ball End 51-53 is my most used; IMO the perfect razor - works with very sharp blades and smoother ones.

I love my post war Tech (fat handle) and don't like my EJ89. The EJ89 just doesn't work for my facial hair. As for other razors I love, the Razorock Mamba and Gem MMOC.

Top Bottom