What's new

Calling all reformed nicotine junkies...

If you are just looking to quit cigarettes I can give you my testimony...if you are looking to give up all tobacco related products...stop reading here.

I started smoking while in the Navy and had a 1 pack a day habit for 9 years. I tried to quit more times than I can remember. Nicogum, chew, dip ...nothing worked.

Joined the civilian world and a buddy of mine turned me onto cigars. I remember the very first one was a Cuesta Rey 95. I stopped cigarettes IMMEDIATELY.

I now primarily smoke pipes...2 small bowls a day as I drive to and from work and cigars on the golf course. They are very relaxing and I feel that is am important part to my physical and mental wellbeing.

The BIG difference is that the pipes and cigars for me are not a habit. Most weekends I dont smoke and I never have the withdrawals that the cigs gave me.

So, with that info....best of luck to you.

Well--

You could try an aversion technique. Take a real deep breath in--as deep as you can. Breathe out half way, no more--then inhale again. Breathe like that for 5 minutes; bet you won't make it the 5, maybe not even one. Its very uncomfortable and duplicates the discomfort of emphysema.

Earlier on someone mentioned the psychology of it. There is a lot of psychology there but no quick fix to address that. Fundamentally, there obviously is a physical addiction but after than there is the psychologic tension to smoke. Unless that tension can either be dissipated, shifted elsewhere, or numbed with medications, you will probably go back to smoking or find another outlet for this aggressive oral autoeroticism (like Telly Savalas and lollipops or all the people who gain weight when thay quit smoking). Many mock Freud--honestly, the guy was an unbelievable genius.

Remember you are not alone. There are countless smokers out there and its hard for all of them to quit. But if you do chances are you will get to live longer to enjoy your favorite shaving products.

MJB

I think the key here is really wanting to quit, and I mean really wanting it.

I was unfortunate to have started smoking when I was 12 years old. Growing up in a house where every adult figure in my life smoked, having a corner gas station that had a cigarette vending machine for a $1 a pack, and that the adults didn't care.

It took me three tries over the years but I finally kicked it a year and a half ago with the patch. What made me really want it was when I realized I couldn't even walk down the street without huffing and struggling to get air into my lungs. I just said enough is enough.

Quitting smoking is not at all that difficult. Why I myself have quit hundreds of times. -Mark Twain

You have to make a decision: Will you allow yourself to be ruled or will you be the decider of your fate?

It's a very simple question; it requires a very honest answer.

Consider also as well, that one day you and your future wife might like to have children. You will learn quickly that sick children are a heavy burden.

When you see that they continue to become sick because of your actions, it will tear your heart apart.

-joedy

Well,

It has been a little over 2 weeks since I've had a cigarette... However, I have smoked 2 cuban cigars (both of which, might I add, were very nice). I know that "switching" from cigarettes to cigars isn't ideal and certainly isn't my objective here and I don't want to be one of those people who smokes a cigar (or more than one) each day... but I don't think that I mind smoking the occasional cigar, so long as I don't smoke them frequently/regularly enough that it becomes a habit (maybe once or twice a month... maybe not even that often).

Top Bottom