What's new

Calling all reformed nicotine junkies...

NMMB said:
Well,

It is day two... and I'm going out of my mind. I opted for gum + sunflower seeds rather than the patch. I think this will be a little easier on me since it reminds me of the smokeless tobacco that I used in the past (for a while I switched from cigarettes to smokeless - but went back to cigarettes since all of the spitting bothered some people including SWMBO).

Thanks everybody for the encouraging words...

If all fails the least thing you can do is buy snus/snuff. its a product from sweden.
its nicotine in a little bag you put between your lip and gums. the benefit is no smoke around you ,the addiction gets its kicks. out of the bag.

good luck with getting back your control of life. and a better health.

http://www.swedish-snus.com/

So,

After a week I have fallen off of the non-smoking wagon... to say the least, I am not proud of this. I was doing really well until I ended up back in an old routine (having a coffee with a smoking friend while I waited for a meeting)... looks like I'm going to have to avoid coffee with Bob for a while if I'm going to manage to stay smoke free...

Hey, don't beat yourself up. Its just like a diet--if you fall off the wagon don't give up and binge--just shrug it off as a step back and get back ON the wagon.

The fact that you've got the stones to admit this here says more about your true desire to quit than one minor setback. Expect more small steps back, and hang in there! Imagine how much better it will feel when you finally do quit.

So what you indulged. Now just remember "They're trying to kill me." You'll realize that after a while the urges and cravings go away as fast as they came. Once you grasp that concept you've pretty much kicked it.

Tito

mrob said:
...if you fall off the wagon don't give up and binge--just shrug it off as a step back and get back ON the wagon...

You know, that's a great way to look at it. Thanks. This morning I purchased a pack of my regular brand (preparing to "binge" - or at least go back to my old ways), but I just tossed them (actually, I cracked them in half and flushed them away - but whatever). Just remembering the fits (panic attacks, shaking, etc) that I went through the other day was enough to make me NOT want to have to go through serious physical withdrawl again.

NMMB said:
You know, that's a great way to look at it. Thanks. This morning I purchased a pack of my regular brand (preparing to "binge" - or at least go back to my old ways), but I just tossed them (actually, I cracked them in half and flushed them away - but whatever). Just remembering the fits (panic attacks, shaking, etc) that I went through the other day was enough to make me NOT want to have to go through serious physical withdrawl again.
There is something magic about throwing away that full pack.. Hell, my last time I even tossed a chrome Zippo with a solid silver (pre WWI) Deutsche Mark coin on it. In that simple act you recognize your commitment and selfworth. It will lift you back onto the wagon. Take it as a lesson learned.

NMMB said:
Good for you and smart move to destroy them. I once threw some tobacco away in the kitchen trash and went back an hour later to dig it out. Yes, it is disgusting, but that is how bad the addiction is. Keep fighting the good fight!

NMMB said:

Congratulations! Now that takes courage. It sounds to me like you have really made up your mind to quit, and that's the most important and hardest part of this whole process--and it is a process, not an event.

Hang in there--anything worth doing is difficult. And this is definitely worth doing.

NMMB said:

IF only my mom was HALF as brave as you are that would made my day.....she is not even there at the point of thinking of quiting your way ahead on the right path to enlightment sorry for even bringing up a distraction for you......... nicotine stays nicotine even if you take it up the anus. yes some cultures they use tabacco up the anus for consumption . here's a new meaning to " Up yours "

:lol: :lol:

SSLStudio said:
IF only my mom was HALF as brave as you are that would made my day.....she is not even there at the point of thinking of quiting your way ahead on the right path to enlightment sorry for even bringing up a distraction for you......... nicotine stays nicotine even if you take it up the anus. yes some cultures they use tabacco up the anus for consumption . here's a new meaning to " Up yours "

:lol: :lol:
Rene, where in the world do you find out this information?:eek: :blushing:

Good luck - I started when I had a girlfriend who smoked - now married to someone else and still trying to quit - have gone for a month now, but go off and on the wagon from time to time.

Stick with it - one way to reward yourself is to take the money you would have spent on smokes, put it in a jar and use it to buy yourself something nice (like more shaving stuff). In fact if you can, don't buy any more shaving gear (or whatever else you like) until you can do it out of your "cigarette money". Then make it your goal to save up enough money to buy something really expensive - like some high-priced brush that will take at least a couple of weeks to a month to save up for.

The catch is, if you fall off the wagon, you put the money in the bank and start saving from zero.

Its all about playing mind tricks on yourself and creating the right incentives (beyond not dying of lung cancer, stroke or heart attack or smelling like an ashtray).

Good luck and stick with it.

An "incentive" story. . .

My mom, who just turned 70, smoked 2-3 packs of Pall Malls per day for almost 50 years. She quit a few years back and the difference in her health and appearance is astonishing.

Her skin is clearer and more even in tone, her teeth are clean, her eyes sparkle, and she looks 20 years younger. Food tastes better and she can smell things--like flowers. . .or shave cream:wink: , that she hasn't smelled in years.

Now, I'm not going to lie and tell you that it was easy for her, or that she still doesn't miss it, but she'll tell you that quitting was the best thing she ever did for herself.

Hang in there--the end justifies the means in this case!

I don't know if it counts, but I smoked cigars (and those pipe tobacco cigarettes) in A-school. What helped me quit was buying a new pack, opening it and having it on me. I told myself that I COULD have one anytime I wanted it, but I just didn't want one. It worked for me. I had failed before, because the instant I tell myself I can never have something again, I want it badly. I guess, in a way, I took away their power over me. I did smoke maybe two from that pack, and every time I realized it just wasn't worth it, and they weren't that good anyway. I think you are doing fine. Everyone slips up once or twice, you haven't lost the war.
If you mess up and smoke one one day, big deal. You did NOT revert to day one. Just keep on trucking. It is a work in progress.
I haven't "QUIT" per se...as I still smoke a hookah...however I'm down to maybe 3 times a YEAR...so I'm basically unconcerned. You are always your own worst judge. Congrats on your dedication so far.
John P.

Suzuki said:
... one way to reward yourself is to take the money you would have spent on smokes, put it in a jar and use it to buy yourself something nice (like more shaving stuff)...

An "incentives" game, eh? You know, I see how this would work for many (most?) people, but I really can't imagine that this is a tactic that would/could work for me. I like to spend my free time trying to model "games" like this and figure out why/how agents (er... "people") will respond to (dis)incentives. What can I say? I am a (micro)economics nerd...

Really, I think that the strongest motivation that I have (and will have) is pride. I told SWMBO that I would quit smoking before our wedding (less than 2 months away now). There are very few things that I hate to do more than go back on my word - if I commit to something, then I feel like I must honour my commitments (though, I'll admit that this stubborn pride has caused me many problems in the past).

Economist, eh?

Well then, think about all of the personal resources you are expending on an activity that has little personal economic upside/utility. In addition, you should take into account the difficult to quantify externalities, such as the disfavour you may curry with your soon-to-be spouse (I'm no economist, but there's got to be a cost to pissing off your wife/breaking your promise to her!)

Also, from an efficiencies standpoint, think about all of the higher uses you could put the resources you currently expend on smoking to (i.e., more shaving stuff). Similarly, the upside social benefits (I'll leave those to your imagination :wink:) could be quantified and further suggest that ceasing smoking is the rational decision.

However, while you economist-types predicate all of your assumptions on the "rationalagent", your personal approach clearly supports the view that humans are not always rational agents - I'm not sure where that leaves economics generally - but that's for another day (and several strong drinks).

On the flip side, you could be a rational agent in the sense that, for you, the value of honouring your commitments has a greater value (which we could attempt to quantify) than your desire to continue smoking.

Anyhow - just thought I'd take a stab at putting this into "your" language :lol: .

Regardless of your motivation, stick with it.

Suzuki said:
Economist, eh?

Well then, think about all of the personal resources you are expending on an activity that has little personal economic upside/utility. In addition, you should take into account the difficult to quantify externalities, such as the disfavour you may curry with your soon-to-be spouse (I'm no economist, but there's got to be a cost to pissing off your wife/breaking your promise to her!)

Also, from an efficiencies standpoint, think about all of the higher uses you could put the resources you currently expend on smoking to (i.e., more shaving stuff). Similarly, the upside social benefits (I'll leave those to your imagination :wink:) could be quantified and further suggest that ceasing smoking is the rational decision.

However, while you economist-types predicate all of your assumptions on the "rationalagent", your personal approach clearly supports the view that humans are not always rational agents - I'm not sure where that leaves economics generally - but that's for another day (and several strong drinks).

On the flip side, you could be a rational agent in the sense that, for you, the value of honouring your commitments has a greater value (which we could attempt to quantify) than your desire to continue smoking.

Anyhow - just thought I'd take a stab at putting this into "your" language :lol: .

Regardless of your motivation, stick with it.

OK, first I feel that I should defend Economists a little here (but only a little - hey, as practitioners of "the dismal science" we can't be that great, can we?). The "rational agent" assumption is very problematic and difficult to explain. When I/we assume rationality we aren't assuming that everybody is rational (making such an absurd assumption would violate itself) rather we assume that the "representative agent" is rational... that is, that "on average" people are rational (if you prefer, your crazy and my crazy roughly balance each other).

Also noteworthy, in my opinion, is the idea that addiction (and acting in apparently irrational ways as a result of addiction) is not necessarily irrational. There is actually a decent amount of literature out there about so called "rational addiction" in the event that somebody is even more of a boring nerd than I am (not my field - don't have the time or inclination to pick up a new field at this time).

I do enjoy hearing a non-economists trying to speak "economics"... it is like bringing your tom-boy gal-pal to a fancy event and laughing while the stuffy old ladies choke on their tea when they see her guns & roses tattoo [note: the gal that I am describing is actually a good friend of mine - and I did once bring her out to a "fancy" lunch where the old ladies were very disturbed/confused by a girl with big tattoos... it was priceless].

Whether or not you speak economics, I do appreciate all of the encouragement. Thanks.

"Give me a one-armed Economist." Harry Truman
I just love that one.

How's about this then, think about your opportunity cost for quitting??? Remember it's all about the allocation of scare resources. I used the incentive program myself by treating myself to a teeth whitening session at the dentist to erase the 15 or so years of yucky yellow brown cig stains.

Keep up the good fight.
Tito

Kyle said:
Rene, where in the world do you find out this information?:eek: :blushing:

I was searching on the web info about Snuss, I ended up at a site where this journalist stated problems about tabbaco usage. it is in Dutch so you cant read it. Ron's wife is able to read it though !

im not sucking my thumb here..and please Kyle dont even try it! :tongue:
and if you do..DONT TELL us about it... :eek:

mrob said:
An "incentive" story. . .

My mom, who just turned 70, smoked 2-3 packs of Pall Malls per day for almost 50 years. She quit a few years back and the difference in her health and appearance is astonishing.

Her skin is clearer and more even in tone, her teeth are clean, her eyes sparkle, and she looks 20 years younger. Food tastes better and she can smell things--like flowers. . .or shave cream:wink: , that she hasn't smelled in years.

Now, I'm not going to lie and tell you that it was easy for her, or that she still doesn't miss it, but she'll tell you that quitting was the best thing she ever did for herself.

Hang in there--the end justifies the means in this case!

Awesome Story ! good for your mom your never too old to stop !!!!!

I have to print this and let mom read it..... :001_smile

Top Bottom