What's new

Calling all Double Ring Serial Numbers!

I know I have a addiction to this stuff when my swimbo is out in the spa, but I'm making her wait so I can polish up a DR for a quick photo shoot.....

as asked for Alex.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 168
Gents, any thoughts on this ebay BIN double ring and its serial number? No prizes for noticing the awkward case or the bent corner tooth. I place no extra value on a mis-struck patent date, either.

But how do you read the serial number? My eyes want to read "818008", which would make it the highest I have seen by a good margin. If genuine that could push double-ring production into 1907. However the leading "8" is not perfectly clear: is it a 1905 "218008" instead? It looks something like the "2" at http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1905 Double Ring.JPG. Perhaps what looks like the loop of an "8" is just a scratch?

Also the serial number is on the knob shaft, so possibly the original was broken or lost and this one is a changeling from an early single ring. What do you think?

I think the first digit is a "2" with a funny scratch.

And...I can't wait for that razor to sell so it will stop showing up in my search results Or, maybe the seller will take it to auction like he has previously threatened.

In case you didn't realize it, that razor is the most valuable / rare razor ever created in the history of mankind. :thumbdown

I think the first digit is a "2" with a funny scratch.

And...I can't wait for that razor to sell so it will stop showing up in my search results Or, maybe the seller will take it to auction like he has previously threatened.

In case you didn't realize it, that razor is the most valuable / rare razor ever created in the history of mankind. :thumbdown

Please do not send your opinions unless you are making an offer, this item is for the serious collector's & investor's only.

:lol:

-jim

Come, come now... Surely what he's asking can't be too much for a razor that is both the only one known to exist and extremely hard to find. I mean, it's vary [sic] unique!! :a52:

Also, yeah, I think that's a '2' as well.

I'll toss mine into the mix of this old thread:

Serial # 201707. Decent box too. :biggrin1:

Attachments

• $IMG_2482.jpg
    $IMG_2482.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 67
I'm going to have to go with "2" as well. Also I another one coming in today and I'm not sure the year yet. How exciting.

Yes the lower left portion of the first number has a flat segment. Only number I can think of with that shape is a two.
Later in the number string are what I would call a couple eights and they have curved segments in the corresponding areas.

I have a gillette double ring eched handle no teeth ser pat off 2 marcas , single thread .no box , how do i find the value it was my grand fathers and would like to place it on my home insurance if valuable .

I have a gillette double ring eched handle no teeth ser pat off 2 marcas , single thread .no box , how do i find the value it was my grand fathers and would like to place it on my home insurance if valuable .
Quite confusing that description. Can you post a picture?

Anyway, appraisals are not allowed, it's against the TOU.

You'll have to search for sold listings, eBay, etc ...

I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that you need not worry about putting that razor on your insurance. More good news: it should shave quite well. Buy some blades and give it a try.
It is a Tech, not a double ring. Probably made in the 2nd quarter of 1970.
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/Tech.htm

Last edited:
Top Bottom