What's new

Caffeine Clips: Show off your tea/coffee acquisitions- November

lol, you could be finer on drip yes, and maybe my zass is different to yours , mine being an older model. Whatever, we both have awesome grinders and awesome coffee... Nothing to complain about!!

Exactly - although I'd much rather have to crank for only two minutes...

Off on a Yirgacheffe and Blue Mountain run to Stuart Lee's store tomorrow, partly for the beans partly for the awesome espresso, and mainly because that place is damned awesome and I want a good sniff of his beans again.

15 pounds of green beans (Ethiopia Organic Korate Washed Sidamo, Colombia Seasonal Select Supremo 18+ Spectacled Bear, and some Ethiopia Organic Natural Djimmah Decaf for the inlaws). I should take some photos before it's all gone.

This is my first pu-erh ever, surprisingly everything came today in 3 separate orders from 2 different companies

proxy.php

2006 Menghai Yue Chen Yue Xiang Pu-erh Tea Brick
2007 Golden Melon Pu-erh Tribute Tuocha
2003 Golden Sail Brand Yunnan Pu-erh Tuocha
2006 Arbor Yinhao Tuocha
2007 Xiaguan Tibetan Flame Brick

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Nice score, gatto. Make sure you have a fine mesh strainer when you brew the Tibetan brick. :tongue_sm

You're at a great but potentially frustrating stage right now. Try fiddling around with different amounts of leaf and brew times- it's amazing how much control you can have over the strength of the brew.

Have fun!

Nice score, gatto. Make sure you have a fine mesh strainer when you brew the Tibetan brick. :tongue_sm

You're at a great but potentially frustrating stage right now. Try fiddling around with different amounts of leaf and brew times- it's amazing how much control you can have over the strength of the brew.

Have fun!

Thanks for the tip, I have one around here somewhere. I think I used too much leaf for my taste tonight. I didn't pay attention to exactly what tea I used. It was a sample of raw pu-erh from 2007. I used 7 grams and my yixing pot is about 8oz. A little too strong for me, tomorrow I think I'll try 5 grams. I only infused it 3 times, can I put the whole pot with the leaf in it in the fridge and infuse it a few more times tomorrow?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Thanks for the tip, I have one around here somewhere. I think I used too much leaf for my taste tonight. I didn't pay attention to exactly what tea I used. It was a sample of raw pu-erh from 2007. I used 7 grams and my yixing pot is about 8oz. A little too strong for me, tomorrow I think I'll try 5 grams. I only infused it 3 times, can I put the whole pot with the leaf in it in the fridge and infuse it a few more times tomorrow?

Sure, give it another go manana.

How long were you steeping it?

If it was too strong, try cutting the times in half. The first infusions can be 5-10 seconds, basically in and out.

Thanks! I'll give that a try tomorrow. This is definitely more fun then stick a tea bag in a coffee mug and move it around for a few minutes. :lol: I also can't believe how even after 3 cups the tea was still strong. The tea I tried tonight was raw and tasted like green tea, is it true that the cooked pu-erh tastes like black tea?

is it true that the cooked pu-erh tastes like black tea?

If by black tea, you mean steeped sweepings from a horse stall...:tongue_sm

(As you can probably guess, I'm not a huge fan of the cooked stuff).

Seriously, the cooked stuff is a totally different beast, at the low end its nasty stuff that tastes and smells like dung, at the better end, its a rich brew that has earthy, mushroomy flavours.

It does not taste like your aunties English breakfast.

Did you rinse the leaves with boiling water before your first infusion?

Yes, I did that for 20 seconds. I was having trouble finding a lot of information online about how to prepare pu-erh, mostly information about the tea itself. Are there any good books about it?

Yes, I did that for 20 seconds. I was having trouble finding a lot of information online about how to prepare pu-erh, mostly information about the tea itself. Are there any good books about it?
Yes, a tutorial would be helpful in sorting it out. After the rinse let the tea rest for a while and steam in its own juices as it were. My first infusion is a bit longer than the second or third as the tea can still be compressed.

You can pick up a lot in this forum alone. Read back through it and pay attention to the sheng of the day thread along with other threads about puerh.

You can pick up a lot in this forum alone. Read back through it and pay attention to the sheng of the day thread along with other threads about puerh.

I have been, there seems to be a lot to learn though. I'm sure I'll pick up everything I need pretty quickly. I really wish there was a book about it, there's a book on everything else. Maybe I'll stop by the local book store and see if I can find something. Even if I can't I know you're right, it's all here on the forum. I'm just such a book person...

I need more green coffee like a hole in the head, but the new crop Misty Valley was out, so i had to amortize the shipping a bit....

Top Bottom