What's new

Caffeine Clips: Show off your tea/coffee acquisitions- November

proxy.php

Cona Model D Stove top 2 pint vac pot

Indian Peaberry Bold beans
Costa Rica Finca De Licho beans. Both roasted yesterday at Hasbean

Not home roasting yet but hand grinding and brewing in a vac pot. I will be trying this for the 1st time this afternoon and we shall see how well it goes.

I thought pu-erh was expensive. Coffee has just taken over.

full

My first non-sample tea purchase! Thanks B&B.

I am just old enough to still be amazed at how flat the world we live in has become. I send a e-mail around the world to a guy in China and a week and a half later a box showes up at my door.:biggrin:

Jim,
Nice looking gear there. Have you or tacobell tried the Xia Guan FT Xi Zi Tuo Cha Raw Pu-erh 2008 yet? I know ouch gives it two thumbs up. I'd like to hear what some other gentlemen think. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim,
Nice looking gear there. Have you or tacobell tried the Xia Guan FT Xi Zi Tuo Cha Raw Pu-erh 2008 yet? I know ouch gives it two thumbs up. I'd like to hear what some other gentlemen think. Thank you.

I do like it very much!

I also bought a Zassenhaus Lima manual coffee grinder.

In addition to being a little cheaper than the wooden models, I liked both the contemporary design and the fact that you can clean it more easily than the wooden models.

View attachment 33978

Chris,
Thats a nice looking grinder. I've never seen one like that. I thought they all were boxy wooden ones.
I wounder if any one has tried to attach a cordless screwdriver to on of these, making it powered:w00t: Just a thought. Enjoy

Chris,
Thats a nice looking grinder. I've never seen one like that. I thought they all were boxy wooden ones.
I wounder if any one has tried to attach a cordless screwdriver to on of these, making it powered:w00t: Just a thought. Enjoy

I've heard of this being done - but you have to change the crankshaft to do it.

If you want an electric grinder, better to buy a decent one for $100 than convert a Zass.

attachment.php

Dude it looks like your brush has a shedding problem :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nah, it's a special design. The hooks at the ends of the bristles help to create instant lather, and they also lift the beard while applying the cream, with the center shaft giving one a facial massage in the process.

Very Zen.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Cona Model D Stove top 2 pint vac pot

Indian Peaberry Bold beans
Costa Rica Finca De Licho beans. Both roasted yesterday at Hasbean

Not home roasting yet but hand grinding and brewing in a vac pot. I will be trying this for the 1st time this afternoon and we shall see how well it goes.

I thought pu-erh was expensive. Coffee has just taken over.

You live in a beautiful neighborhood.

That Cona looks really nice. If I still consumed as much coffee as I used to, I would have no choice but to get a vac pot. As is, my one cup filter holder and Aeropress (okay, I have a few presspots around, too) make more than I need.

I always enjoyed vac coffee, especially from the drad and dingy Mei Lai Wah in Chinatown, now closed. I still don't understand how the glass rod thingy works, though.

I don't know how any of it works but it just does. The cona is build brilliantly. works easily and brews enough to fill my flask so I can keep a stash of hot coffee around for quite some time. It really has changed my outlook on coffee, I don't think I will ever need an espresso machine or a better coffee machine now that I have found this.

If anyone hasn't tried vac pot coffee I urge you to go and seek some out. Delicious!

And thanks for noticing the leafiness of my little village! It is a rather splendid place yes.

Went to Stuart Lee's shop Pumphrey's today and got 100g samples of his own blue mountain blend,Costa Rican Tres Rios and Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. I left with a massive smile and a shop I will visit over and over again.

Checked out the GreenBeanery - a local store that sells green coffee, fresh roasted coffee and all manner of coffee supplies.

I bought a half pound each of:

Ethiopian Yirgacheffe
Ethiopian Harrar (dry process)

Both roasted yesterday.

I also bought a Zassenhaus Lima manual coffee grinder.

In addition to being a little cheaper than the wooden models, I liked both the contemporary design and the fact that you can clean it more easily than the wooden models.

I've played around with it a bit - it takes about 4 - 5 minutes to grind enough coffee for 6 -7 cups of drip coffee. Coarser grinds take less time and smoother grinds more. While a bit of a pain, I got this so I could grind coffee fresh every morning without waking anyone up. It has a nice smooth action and the shape is great - you can use it on the counter, between the legs, under the arm, or held in one hand - much more flexible than any of the other models.

I figure that, at least it will ensure that I get some exercise in the morning!

View attachment 33978

This looks like an interesting piece of equipment. Where is the cheapest place to get one. I searched quickly and found it for $75. Can I find in a local NYC store.
Thanks,
Dave

This looks like an interesting piece of equipment. Where is the cheapest place to get one. I searched quickly and found it for $75. Can I find in a local NYC store.
Thanks,
Dave

Not sure if you can find it in a B&M in NY, but I'm willing to bet you can.

Cheapest I've seen it for is $75 (or thereabouts).

You have to be prepared to work for your coffee in the am - it takes me 5 minutes of vigorous grinding to grind enough coffee for 6-7 drip cups (as indicated by the cup markers on the pot/water resevoir).

I get a nice even grind from mine and quite like it - but it is a committment in terms of time and energy.

5 minutes?! I must move my arm faster then you because in 2 mins or less I have enough for an 8 cup bodum french press on a finer setting than most would go to for french.

5 minutes?! I must move my arm faster then you because in 2 mins or less I have enough for an 8 cup bodum french press on a finer setting than most would go to for french.

I'm sure I'm using a finer grind and it may be that the "cups" on my pot are bigger than the ones on your Bodem.

I use just over one tablespoon of ground per cup

I'm grinding pretty vigorously, no lilly dipping on my end!

lol, you could be finer on drip yes, and maybe my zass is different to yours , mine being an older model. Whatever, we both have awesome grinders and awesome coffee... Nothing to complain about!!

Top Bottom