What's new

Buy more badger brushes! Help the neighbours sleep!

Here is a very interesting article from the Daily Mail:

<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=449313&in_page_id=1770>

We should do what we can to help these people get the rest and repose that they need!

Quote:

Once they have reared their pups he can apply for a licence from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs to install badger gates around his property.

I say he should find a tranquilizer gun, put them all to sleep and drop them off in front of the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs after shearing off some silvertip hair first. :biggrin:

Incredible story! Seems that these people aren't aware of a dog breed that might just help their cause... the mighty Daschund! :biggrin:

The Daschund we know today was originally called a German Daschund, which was much larger, weighing up to 40 pounds. This early breed had straight and crooked leg varieties. The Daschund is also famous for hunting of fox and rabbit, as well as exterminating badgers and finding wild boar and injured deer. The name itself translates in German to “badger dog” because of its amazing hunting, chasing, and scent abilities.

Tchau,
chop-chop

Doxies dig like there is no tomorrow.
I easily believe they were badger hunters.
Although, I would hate to see one torn up by a badger.

Seriously you guys, I work in agriculture over here in the UK. It has long been accepted that dear old brock spreads TB amongst Dairy cattle - pretty serious really! By the way, where I live we are overun with the scabby brutes and have every opportunity of snipping off a bit of hair from all the road casualties, but have you ever smelt a dead badger? Oh my Lord........

The problem is that it is illegal to kill a badger in the UK.

Unless you are the government :thumbdown

The UK goverment (environment) has ordered numerous culls on badgers due to somewhat unfounded allegations of the badgers passing Tuberculosis onto cattle.

In the area I live I see 2 or 3 badgers a week that have been killed by cars.

So governmental badger genocide and accidental death by car are legal.

I don't know for certain if hunting badger with a gun is illegal. It may be legal but no one does it as there is no point in killing badgers as they do not ruin crops or kill chickens. I do know that badger bating (chasing and killing with dogs
) and gassing was made illegal some time ago.

I'll scrape up the road kill and ship it out to whoever wants to make brushes if you like :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Mat

Unless you are the government :thumbdown

The UK goverment (environment) has ordered numerous culls on badgers due to somewhat unfounded allegations of the badgers passing Tuberculosis onto cattle.

In the area I live I see 2 or 3 badgers a week that have been killed by cars.

So governmental badger genocide and accidental death by car are legal.

I don't know for certain if hunting badger with a gun is illegal. It may be legal but no one does it as there is no point in killing badgers as they do not ruin crops or kill chickens. I do know that badger bating (chasing and killing with dogs
) and gassing was made illegal some time ago.

I'll scrape up the road kill and ship it out to whoever wants to make brushes if you like :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Mat

Here's a quote from some of my conversations with the director of the Badger Trust in the UK.

As the Badger Protection Act 1992 stands, it is illegal to sell, offer to
sell, manufacture, or possess anything made with badger hair from a
Eurasian badger, killed in the UK.

However, it is therefore NOT illegal to offer for sale, or possess, a
badger-hair shaving brush made with hair from Chinese badgers,
where either the hair, or the whole carcass, has been imported from
China. All the UK manufacturers of gentleman's accessories now
purchase their hair from China, it comes in already treated ready for
use. Some of the more noted manufacturers have specific disclaimers
on their web sites, stating compliance with the Badger Protection Act,
and quoting the sources of their raw material.

Shooting badgers is highly illegal. And actually badgers do damage crops although not to the extent birds ie. pigeons do. The threat from TB passing into the human food chain however is very real, hence restricted government culling.

The threat from TB passing into the human food chain however is very real, hence restricted government culling.
Yup, there's mandatory (annual or twice a year I think) testing of all cattle over here for TB which is accepted as being transmitted by the little stripy ruffians, so I don't object to having the things shot. Evil little buggers too.

Badger Dog at your service. Send me GPS coordinates and I'll bring Dewey, the Wonder Weiner Dog to take care of this problem. :biggrin:

Tom

Top Bottom