What's new

Building own beltgrinder

Today I got the motor and inverter up and running for the first time. Works like a charm :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like winner! Good work! Be careful with the shear key in the shaft while testing. With my luck, it would come flying out at about 3600 rpms and take out my eye. LOL

Shaggy Just be Very careful when you use that controller as it gos very high yes too high for a 2 X 72 belt the belt "WILL EXPLODE" and slap you in the face and body or worse throw the blade you are working on into your body most of the time I only use mine at 40.5 to 45.0 and that is fast some where around 36,000+ belt feet per minuet be very careful when using your belt grinder get your self a good Leather Apron I have one from Lee Valley & Veritas they have some of the best full length ones to protect your chest to your lower legs . do not forget eye protection ,ear plugs,and a dust mask . Remember Safety First Brother and Happy Grinding !

Best Regards

Thanks R Yates,

I know. My previous job was working as a metalworker so I do know the dangerous concerning these things. And yes, they can be very dangerous indeed.
Of course I will take all the necessary safety precautions. And the speed is something I need to find out when I get my drivehweel in order. Depends on the diameter of course. En running this motor at nominal speed equals 1440rpm at 50Hz.

I could take it up to 200 but there is no need for that. By hearing alone it think between 35 and 65 should be a good working rpm depending on belt and type of metal.

Well, all I need now is a freaking drivewheel, but I don't get an answer from the guy I mailed for it. So might have to make one myself.

If you Need to you can always order anything you need from here http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/shop/

Including a 6 inch drive wheel that will give you the maxim amount of of belt feed per minute and around 300 at about .05 at the lowest setting on the VSDso you can still gring plastic ,composites, and man-made materials . as well as soft woods with out burning them .

Thanks all :)
Machine is 99% ready now, waiting for the mailman bringing my drivewheel and then it should be up and running :) Placed my order at the steel mill for a couple of meters of O1 toolsteel :)

Got my first basic design ready to go, so ... Postman Patt, please come soon :)

Today I received my drivewheel, so put it together and made my first testrun :)

:thumbup::clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting, but I'm curious if this is done primarily out of interest or if there's actually significant savings vs buying a belt grinder?

Are you going to enclose that vfd?
I am thinking about that. The housing itself is industrial strength, but the dust could be a problem. I am looking in to making a remote control for On/Of and speed, than the VFD could be shielded properly. However it does have a fan for cooling so I can't seal it in a box because it would get to hot.
I do have and use a heavy duty vacumcleaner to suck of most of the dust. Should be ok for now.

Very interesting, but I'm curious if this is done primarily out of interest or if there's actually significant savings vs buying a belt grinder?
Both really.
I have been looking at grinders for some time now, but the prices are pretty high. The cheapest frames I came across are still in the €600 mark. Imo way to much for what you get. Let alone complete grinders being sold for 1500-2000...

So I decided to built one myself A, for the fun of it, and B because of the imense saving I did compared to a commercial available grinder. Of course the VFD and motor are the most expensive things, but it still makes this grinder affordable for self building.
And of course, it doesn't have a "real" €250 contactwheel, but guess what, my €60 wheel does the same ;)

This entire machine cost me a lot less than a €2000-€1500 or €1000...
NExt thing on my list to do is make myself a platten arm and get a small diameter wheel like a 1" or something, and make a rest.

Hope that answers your question a little :)

I am thinking about that. The housing itself is industrial strength, but the dust could be a problem. I am looking in to making a remote control for On/Of and speed, than the VFD could be shielded properly. However it does have a fan for cooling so I can't seal it in a box because it would get to hot.
I do have and use a heavy duty vacumcleaner to suck of most of the dust. Should be ok for now.

Both really.
I have been looking at grinders for some time now, but the prices are pretty high. The cheapest frames I came across are still in the €600 mark. Imo way to much for what you get. Let alone complete grinders being sold for 1500-2000...

So I decided to built one myself A, for the fun of it, and B because of the imense saving I did compared to a commercial available grinder. Of course the VFD and motor are the most expensive things, but it still makes this grinder affordable for self building.
And of course, it doesn't have a "real" €250 contactwheel, but guess what, my €60 wheel does the same ;)

This entire machine cost me a lot less than a €2000-€1500 or €1000...
NExt thing on my list to do is make myself a platten arm and get a small diameter wheel like a 1" or something, and make a rest.

Hope that answers your question a little :)

Hrmm I believe I have seen grinders here in the states that cost about 1500 usd .... Maybe something I want to look into ;-)

Hrmm I believe I have seen grinders here in the states that cost about 1500 usd .... Maybe something I want to look into ;-)

Yes, check out the different packages from KMG and source the same motor from one of the industrial motor sales folks on eBay.

Top Bottom