What's new

Building boxes?

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Hey Tim!
What's going on in the third picture? Really curious on what those cyber looking clamp thingies are called and what the do. Doesn't look like standard equipment at all.
Please tell!

Thanks for asking. They are common bar clamps holding the boxes body to a homemade square. Using the squares keeps everything a true 90 degrees

5F5952CA-0DB7-44CD-A761-6006E3B90CBE.jpeg
91B5D0E2-FF93-4BD5-A8FF-81DA75BEA7A0.jpeg

F style for clamp up jobs like patio kitchens
work 177.jpgwork 183.jpg

Attachments

• work 173.jpg
    work 173.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I made boxes for a couple of razors and decided no more. Just space and numbers issue. I did one with a compass point inlay I’ll try to find that you reminded me of. Actually bought the box somewhere as it was perfect size/shape and like most, cheaper than I can make it for. But then I did the inlay and some leafing. You have a fine start there! Good for a select razor of course

Holy smokes Stone is that a Lee Valley plane?
I did hone my plane blades yesterday when i did my scissors, i stopped at 8k and will try them today hopefully

No, Lie Neilson planes. I have a very nice group of planes.

proxy.php

Other drawer, Japanese chisels in the rolls.

proxy.php

Bench,

proxy.php
I did 4 oak and 2 walnut boxes yesterday for some el cheapo stones and paddle strop for my youngest son.
Made a huge mistake on the last box, working to fast and not having a clear mind almost cost me haha!
It was a box for one of my stones so i just kept it instead of ripping new material.

Table saw kickback

20201015_052522.jpg
20201015_052038.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that is easily 1,500$ in tools in them two drawers!

I purchased them many years ago. They are very expensive now.
They are exceptionally well made and perform like what you would expect.

Nice boxes and paddle strop!

Kickbacks are super dangerous, If possible, install even a tiny splitter/riving knife.
I normally discard all the splitters and shrouds from saws but keep the splitter and cut in down so it protrudes about 3/8 past the table. This way it doesn't get in the way, can stay for near all dadoing,and most important makes kickbacks near impossible.
I'll take a photo later when I'm in the shop.

Yeah that little Bosh job site saw has a riving knife i just didn't have it up. My other saw has a tablesaw sled and i was going to build one for the Bosh but it has a weak bearing from ripping 6x6 and 3x12 bridge plank and i hate to build a sled for a saw that might last another month. I have not been real impressed with the Bosh, nice and portable but not really made for heavy use for anything over 3/4 stock.

Top Bottom