What's new

Bugging out

We're in NJ. If SHTF, we'd have to head to my brother-in-laws in KY that are more prepared.

For the trip:
1. As many half-gallons of gin that I have on hand. Tonic, if room.
2. Bottled water for my wife.
3. Our Kimber Raptor w/ conversion barrel and 3,000+ rounds of .45 & .22 ammo on hand.

If gas will be an issue getting to KY, then I'd replace the water with 30 gal of gas we have containers for, enough to make the trip. There is no doubt in my mind that my wife will overrule me, take the water and leave my gin behind. The sacrifice us husbands have to make.

I think we've got a winner here. Three things named, finally! And good things too!!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
We're in NJ. If SHTF, we'd have to head to my brother-in-laws in KY that are more prepared.

For the trip:
1. As many half-gallons of gin that I have on hand. Tonic, if room.
2. Bottled water for my wife.
3. Our Kimber Raptor w/ conversion barrel and 3,000+ rounds of .45 & .22 ammo on hand.

If gas will be an issue getting to KY, then I'd replace the water with 30 gal of gas we have containers for, enough to make the trip. There is no doubt in my mind that my wife will overrule me, take the water and leave my gin behind. The sacrifice us husbands have to make.
Leave the gin? How uncivilized. :lol:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Have to fight malaria with something (some tonic has quinine in it).
Funny you should mention this. I'm trying to talk the War Department into letting me learn to distill spirits. My mother's side is from Appalachia, and I'd just like to try it. I drank moonshine, once, and that was enough, but I'd like to age it in barrels, the whole 9 yards. Figure that might be a handy skill.

Listen, when The Big One hits, or pretty much if simply the internet calls it quits. Half of the population will perish within 24 hours without access to Facebook/Twitter, Kardashian updates, nor Fortnite. Just lay low for 24-48 hours, and emerge unscathed in the dawn of a bright new day.

Funny you should mention this. I'm trying to talk the War Department into letting me learn to distill spirits. My mother's side is from Appalachia, and I'd just like to try it. I drank moonshine, once, and that was enough, but I'd like to age it in barrels, the whole 9 yards. Figure that might be a handy skill.

For less that the cost of a still you can buy legal shine at Meijer. But I recommend Lauders scotch.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Booze will always be good trading material.

Listen, when The Big One hits, or pretty much if simply the internet calls it quits. Half of the population will perish within 24 hours without access to Facebook/Twitter, Kardashian updates, nor Fortnite. Just lay low for 24-48 hours, and emerge unscathed in the dawn of a bright new day.
There are some generations where this is sadly true. They'd starve in a grocery store.

So we have booze (1) and ammo (2). Family is a given, so we are just needing #3.
My vote is water. Unless there are any opposing views I'm going to consider the question answered and thanks everyone

This seems to be a thread people are interested in lately. If you had to Bug Out what would be your three things.? I'll start.
1) Water in canteen
2) beef jerky
3) garbage bag (to collect more water)

Sorry if this post is in the wrong area. What about yinz?

In a later post you said you really wanted some tips.

First of all, a Bug Out bag, also called a 72-hour bag or Go bag, is for a quick departure to head for a safe area. Fires have been frequent lately. So have hurricanes and snowstorms. Ideally, your car would be available. It's not for the apocalypse. For that, a gun and a single bullet is enough.

There are four things a person must have:
  1. Food
  2. Water
  3. Shelter
  4. Warmth
And a fifth that's real nice to have:

5. Sanitation items. You know, like toilet paper, toothbrush and toothpaste. (If you are outside, you don't want to brush your teeth just before going to sleep or you might end up French kissing a bear. A felt cloth about a foot square is all you need for drying yourself. A four inch square is good for doing dishes unless you eat meat. Then you need all sorts of crap.

1. For food, I prefer oatmeal, pasta, dehydrated refried beans, potato flour (for potato soup), tortillas, peanut butter or peanuts, and some other stuff. I use a Trangia stove with 500 ml. of alcohol for three days. For up to five days, I use an old SVEA 123 stove that can burn camp fuel or gasoline and a one quart bottle.

2. Water: Four one-liter plastic bottles that fit in the side pockets of my pack. Depending on the location, it might take eight.

3. Shelter: I use a Eureka solitaire tent
upload_2019-1-14_18-34-5.png

It only costs about $79. The first time I set it up in my back yard, there were 70 mph winds. It was sheltered a bit, so the wind was probably about 50 mph. It's far warmer than a larger tent.

My backpack is out of the 80's. It's a World Famous external frame pack with a magnesium frame.

upload_2019-1-14_18-42-14.png

Put the sleeping bag in a plastic bag and lash it to the bottom. The tent fits under the top flap or inside depending on how I pack. They run about $70 including shipping.

My sleeping bag is an inexpensive Alpine 20 bag rated to 20 degrees. You have to know how to dress to get comfortable at that rating. I have a different bag for lower temperatures. I forget the name of it. Sierra something.

A trash bag is handy for... trash. :)

There is more, but this is enough for now.

A trash bag is handy for keeping things dry. And collection of water. Not just for trash! ;)

I do like your ideas though. These are all in my bag but the topic was just three things which makes for some difficult choices indeed..

Sometime, you need to put everything together and practice bugging out. This is a three day (two night) bug out my daughter and I went on.

Top Bottom