What's new

Bugging out

With all due respect, I feel that you may be dismissing some basic concepts / fundamentals that man and nature have already established. Key cornerstones to the very foundation of evolution actually! Consider the following:

Ducks fly in a V.

Wolf packs travel at the speed of the elders...

Even in Le Tour de France.... The Peloton exists for a reason!

These are just a few examples, but if you don't want our squirrels then fine. :)

Why would Party A add
1. security risk
2. greater drain on resources
3. drama
4. etc.

For an unknown person or group who cannot provide security, food, or any other essential survival need for themselves? Even someone with significant medical skills adds no real value if there are no such supplies available, and most in that field will have zero experience in an austere environment.

Secondly, if a person doesn't value their own life, or the lives of their family members enough to have provided even a minimal safety net for misfortune or disaster....why should anyone else?

Why would Party A add
1. security risk
2. greater drain on resources
3. drama
4. etc.

For an unknown person or group who cannot provide security, food, or any other essential survival need for themselves? Even someone with significant medical skills adds no real value if there are no such supplies available, and most in that field will have zero experience in an austere environment.

Secondly, if a person doesn't value their own life, or the lives of their family members enough to have provided even a minimal safety net for misfortune or disaster....why should anyone else?

My brother, here we can agree to disagree.
I guess it's in my DNA to help others, especially the weak (during a disaster or not). This thread wasn't intended to sow discord amongst some of the more serious preppers.

(And you can still have some of our squirrels if you change your mind!) :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Eating a squirrel is all in the prep. No pun intended.

Soak in water, squeeze it, soak it in vinegar water mix, squeeze it. Rinse with water, cook and eat.

My brother, here we can agree to disagree.
I guess it's in my DNA to help others, especially the weak (during a disaster or not). This thread wasn't intended to sow discord amongst some of the more serious preppers.

(And you can still have some of our squirrels if you change your mind!) :)

Contrary to what you may have assumed based on my last post, I actually enjoy helping others. I, and my wife, are both part of our community CERT team. I'll help out any way I can, until it comes to possibly taking food out of my family member's mouths or jeopardizing their safety. At that point, everyone else had the same opportunities to save, stock, etc. for a rainy day and I have zero sympathy for those who choose to depend on others instead of themselves. I believe it says quite a bit about an individual's character to expect that others will provide for them. To be clear, I'm speaking in terms of able bodied people.

Why would I post any sort of useful information in a thread like this if I didn't want to help people? That said, I don't see any point in helping people who refuse to help themselves....no different than the old "give a man a fish, feed him for a day. teach a man to fish, feed him for life".

My great grandparents bought and kept a 60 acre farm during the great depression. They were not wealthy people...in fact they were essentially sharecroppers prior to that. I remember my great grandmother sewing on a treadle powered Singer sewing machine when I was a child...same one she'd made clothes on for 50+ years. There were a number of stories passed down and one of them I think is applicable to "bugging out". A barefoot man showed up with his wife and kids. He asked if there was any work to be done and as it happened, my great grandparents needed a root cellar dug. It appeared that none of them had eaten in several days, and they were carrying everything they owned. A deal was struck and that man started digging. In a single day, he dug a roughly 10'x10' cellar deep enough that a person didn't have to bend over to walk in. Barefoot. In a single day. He cried when they paid him, likely more than the agreed upon price, and I don't recall but they probably fed him and his family on top of it. They were the sort of people that if a man did two men's work, he got paid two men's wages.

Leaving everything else aside, you tell me, do you think there is a difference in character between that man and someone who shows up looking for a handout?

Eating a squirrel is all in the prep. No pun intended.

Soak in water, squeeze it, soak it in vinegar water mix, squeeze it. Rinse with water, cook and eat.

This a great tip actually. The powers of vinegar never ceases to amaze!!

You tell me, do you think there is a difference in character between that man and someone who shows up looking for a handout?

That's a slippery slope. Personally I think we should only judge our own character, but we digress. Back to bugging out! :)

Last edited:
Seriously, bugging out and prepping can become as contentious as religion and politics. If I were to really try to teach someone about bugging out, I'd have them read the book I wrote. But I'm not here to sell books.

We'd all spend time reading one chapter at a time and gathering the same or equivalent gear. Then we'd bug out to my backyard for three days. Then we'd either go hiking or camping using the gear, but not both. If it was only hiking, we'd set up our tents and prepare a meal around the turn around point. I'd make sure there were some sections that were scary if we hiked in the mountains. If it was only camping, we'd only go out for one night.

There are some simple thing people forget. I've been on a few group hiking trips, and I was the only one who carried a full pack for an overnight trip. One time, we came close to getting stuck out on the back side of Pike's Peak when it was snowing and the temperature was around zero. Technically, it wasn't a difficult trail. The problem was, you couldn't see it because of the fresh snow and there were plenty of places to go astray. One of the guys was vehemently trying to lead us in the wrong direction. Fortunately, I'm directionally dysfunctional, so whenever I make a turn onto another trail, I leave a small cairn 10 feet before the intersection on the right side of the trail. I was tail end Charlie on that hike, so nobody noticed. I was also the only one with a map and a compass.

Let's say I did adopt a group of two parents and a child. The first thing I'd want to do is go through their packs and get rid of every non-essential item. Then I'd let the child or the slowest parent lead and set the pace unless there was deep snow. That keeps the group together. A group that is rubber banding is tiring for the slow hiker as the lead group always wants to end their break when the slow hiker catches up. It pays to stop for a break well before the least physically fit person gets tired. Usually, this will be about every 20 minutes of hiking in the mountains for a weak hiker.

One major problem with merging two groups is there are two leaders. If they are both experienced, they can usually work it out. If one of them is a loud-mouth jerk, it's best to say "See you down the trail" and go on at your own pace.

It also pays to know how to dress for different temperatures. I like to walk through the winter. It doesn't take fancy clothes; just enough layers.
upload_2019-1-13_19-6-58.png

It was 11 below on this day:

upload_2019-1-13_19-9-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-13_19-5-2.png
    upload_2019-1-13_19-5-2.png
    212.5 KB · Views: 4
Great post brother. Good tips about dropping markers and carrying a compass. Clearly you are an alpha type with good survival skills.

Wife is a fitness instructor accustomed to teaching Zumba classes 5 hours each day. I can't hang with that but I do compete in half triathlons and keep fit.

B.O.B. consists of light weight items including solar panels, fruits, knives, garbage bags, etc.. We aren't looking to be adopted and saved, but we do need to watch out for our 13 month old baby girl. I think many folks out there would be in a similar position with young children or aging parents etc..

This is the reason I likened us to a wolf pack traveling at the speed of the elders

That's a slippery slope. Personally I think we should only judge our own character, but we digress. Back to bugging out! :)

Interesting deflection.

Bugging in is almost always a better option. If one has to bug out, then have a plan....and I don't mean "oh we're going to the national park and we'll live off the land". Very few people actually possess the skills to do that, and every one of them will tell you that it isn't living, it is merely existing. One minor mistake can compound into death, possibly a very slow, painful death. Killing an animal for food is pretty easy. Skinning and gutting ain't that hard either, but done wrong will contaminate the meat. Do you know what edible wild/native plants are common in your area, or intended bug out location? Which parts of those plants are safe to consume, or do they require specific methods of preparation? Some edible plants are very similar to and easily mistaken for poisonous plants. Do you know where they are most likely to be found? What about medicinal plants? Which parts of the plant provide a benefit and how are they prepared to get that benefit ?What season are those plants at their best? Do you eat any of them now? If not, how do you know you won't have an allergic reaction to them?

Nope, have a plan. Where are you going, how do you get there, what happens if the primary route is blocked, what do you need to take vs. what's available at the destination, how many vehicles, what do you need when you get there, etc.. Figure it all out now, and that means less stress and hopefully no mistakes if/when the plan has to be executed. There are many things to take into account. Think it all through now, while things are relatively calm and easy, and it'll be easier to deal with if/when they get hard.

It also pays to know how to dress for different temperatures. I like to walk through the winter. It doesn't take fancy clothes; just enough layers.View attachment 943442

6°F.....that's still shorts weather in these parts :)

Interesting deflection.

Bugging in is almost always a better option. If one has to bug out, then have a plan....and I don't mean "oh we're going to the national park and we'll live off the land". Very few people actually possess the skills to do that, and every one of them will tell you that it isn't living, it is merely existing. One minor mistake can compound into death, possibly a very slow, painful death. Killing an animal for food is pretty easy. Skinning and gutting ain't that hard either, but done wrong will contaminate the meat. Do you know what edible wild/native plants are common in your area, or intended bug out location? Which parts of those plants are safe to consume, or do they require specific methods of preparation? Some edible plants are very similar to and easily mistaken for poisonous plants. Do you know where they are most likely to be found? What about medicinal plants? Which parts of the plant provide a benefit and how are they prepared to get that benefit ?What season are those plants at their best? Do you eat any of them now? If not, how do you know you won't have an allergic reaction to them?

Nope, have a plan. Where are you going, how do you get there, what happens if the primary route is blocked, what do you need to take vs. what's available at the destination, how many vehicles, what do you need when you get there, etc.. Figure it all out now, and that means less stress and hopefully no mistakes if/when the plan has to be executed. There are many things to take into account. Think it all through now, while things are relatively calm and easy, and it'll be easier to deal with if/when they get hard.

+1

Totally agree that bugging out would be the best option only when bugging IN is no longer an option. Squirrels take note!!

Right. Prudent to have some water stored, some nonperishable food, candles, camp stove. However, thoughts of heading to the boonies with an infant, far from medical care, etc may not be so realistic.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Not sure you can bug out in Singapore - 20 minutes in any direction and you're in the water!

So ... what's your Bug-Out-Boat of choice?

So are you guys saying there is an advantage to NOT bugging out? That goes against everything I've read on the prepper sites.

Totally agree that bugging out would be the best option only when bugging IN is no longer an option.

IMHO staying put is the better option whenever possible. You have your established residence & shelter, you have the stores of food and materials at hand (far more than you can carry in a bug-out). You have whatever social network with neighbours you have established, rather than figuring out total strangers wherever you end up bugging out to.

The most likely scenario for me to "bug out" is a natural disaster (ie forest fire) threatening my home town. Our normal camping gear and enough gas to get me 300 miles away ... and we can camp in tranquility and buy our groceries at the nearby supermarket just like normal.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So ... what's your Bug-Out-Boat of choice?

IMHO staying put is the better option whenever possible. You have your established residence & shelter, you have the stores of food and materials at hand (far more than you can carry in a bug-out). You have whatever social network with neighbours you have established, rather than figuring out total strangers wherever you end up bugging out to.

The most likely scenario for me to "bug out" is a natural disaster (ie forest fire) threatening my home town. Our normal camping gear and enough gas to get me 300 miles away ... and we can camp in tranquility and buy our groceries at the nearby supermarket just like normal.
Yep. I basically have a homestead right here. I'm not going to leave unless I have to. My neighbors are as close to me or closer than family. We are all peppers in one form or another. We'd fight for our freeholds.

We're in NJ. If SHTF, we'd have to head to my brother-in-laws in KY that are more prepared.

For the trip:
1. As many half-gallons of gin that I have on hand. Tonic, if room.
2. Bottled water for my wife.
3. Our Kimber Raptor w/ conversion barrel and 3,000+ rounds of .45 & .22 ammo on hand.

If gas will be an issue getting to KY, then I'd replace the water with 30 gal of gas we have containers for, enough to make the trip. There is no doubt in my mind that my wife will overrule me, take the water and leave my gin behind. The sacrifice us husbands have to make.

Top Bottom