What's new

Bugging out

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
This might have been addressed already, but a means of protecting your hard-earned and planned bug out/SHTF supplies should be up there.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
This might have been addressed already, but a means of protecting your hard-earned and planned bug out/SHTF supplies should be up there.

My compound is equipped with a bomb shelter, three machine gun nests, and land mines. I do need to make some improvements though.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Same here. Mine too.

I do need to put some remotely detonated explosives under the machine gun nests...in case they are overrun and the guns are taken over. Surprise, surprise, surprise.

You need a moat of piranha and crocs.

Naw...they need fed and we don't get that many visitors...they may go hungry with no visitors.

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned The Patriot Nurse re. prepping, etc. She's a calm voice of reason that everyone seems to agree with.

I found this line in one of her blog posts:
"What all this indicates, dear reader, is a vanishing respect for people whose words include ‘have’ ‘done’ and ‘experienced.’ The theorists and would-be-experts use words like ‘should’ ‘would’ or ‘could’. Note that one side uses past tense while the other uses conditional language. Big difference."

I found this line in one of her blog posts:
"What all this indicates, dear reader, is a vanishing respect for people whose words include ‘have’ ‘done’ and ‘experienced.’ The theorists and would-be-experts use words like ‘should’ ‘would’ or ‘could’. Note that one side uses past tense while the other uses conditional language. Big difference."
I was a touch sarcastic with my previous post as she is a rather polarizing character in the prepper community given her advice that some consider extreme or even dangerous. That said, the quote you found does illustrate some of the things I respect in her MO. She's VERY big on personal accountability and action vs. entitlement.

I was a touch sarcastic with my previous post as she is a rather polarizing character in the prepper community given her advice that some consider extreme or even dangerous. That said, the quote you found does illustrate some of the things I respect in her MO. She's VERY big on personal accountability and action vs. entitlement.

I missed the sarcasm. I'm not about to talk badly about someone's favorite source, so I looked for ideas I could use. I liked what she said about classes, but around here, you better be a certified guide before teaching anyone or taking them out in the field. Even listing what a person should take on a hike could result in liability when something goes wrong.

In the motorcycle world, they say "pictures, or it didn't happen." I saw a lot of talk about how people would start a fire. Well, here is one I started in 70 seconds in a real world backpacking trip. There is one obvious suggestion. Let's see if anyone can discover it. Also, let's see who can figure out what I used for tinder and kindling. (Hint: no accelerants used.)

I missed the sarcasm. I'm not about to talk badly about someone's favorite source, so I looked for ideas I could use. I liked what she said about classes, but around here, you better be a certified guide before teaching anyone or taking them out in the field. Even listing what a person should take on a hike could result in liability when something goes wrong.

In the motorcycle world, they say "pictures, or it didn't happen." I saw a lot of talk about how people would start a fire. Well, here is one I started in 70 seconds in a real world backpacking trip. There is one obvious suggestion. Let's see if anyone can discover it. Also, let's see who can figure out what I used for tinder and kindling. (Hint: no accelerants used.)

Your respecting other people's opinions, sources, etc. is admirable since as we've seen in this thread the topic dos seem to stir up emotions. I'll listen to pretty much anyone about any topic to hear if they have anything useful I might learn or to clearly not do as they preach. And yes, I agree she does have some good ideas, but she also has the ability to go down some interesting & extreme tangents but that's to be expected from many youtube personalities.

I think that goes for anything not just the motorcycle world. Did I tell you about the 8' rainbow I caught?

As for the fire, almost looks like cigar wrappers
screenshot_511.jpg

If it's cigar wrappers...and that's a big IF. Then I change my vote to cigar wrappers. If not I still agree with Dave.

Being from Kentucky we have ANY number of tobacco farms but sadly that leaf is moist. Need a tobacco store to find dried cigar wrappers.

I lieu of those...what else is dry and very combustible and easy to find?

I've been using the same thing for the last 53 years since my father showed me when I was 12 years old. He called it squall wood.

First of all, I'm pretty sure I used a dead leaf as an extension of the lighter. Above that, I used tiny twigs broken off living pine trees. They should be on the trunk or as close to the trunk as possible. The twigs must be so dead, they break off at the slightest touch. These will ignite easily and burn hot for a short time. They will also be dry in all but the heaviest rain.

Above them, I used slightly larger tiny twigs. Normally, I'd step up the size more gradually than I did in this fire.

Gray wood ignites easily and burns hot and almost smokeless. I could have done a better job increasing the size slowly.

A teepee fire would have worked better, but I was trying something.

Ideally, I'd light the fire from the upwind side so the flames blow into the center, but the wind shifted 180 degrees before I lit it.

Is this the only way? It's about the only way I know with slight variations. What's important is I know one way well. Not 100 theoretical ways from some book.

Reeds would likely not burn hot enough or long enough to light the wood above. Notice I didn't say they wouldn't because I haven't tried it.

Accelerants such as alcohol or gasoline are quite dangerous except for the first attempt. Besides, they take out the challenge.

That is what I liked about the original iPods (before they became iPhone lites)- it did one thing incredibly well every time.

When Apple announced they were discontinuing the Shuffle i went and bought two more to have on hand in case my old worn constantly used 1Gig beast ever died. Then my hard drive with all my music on it froze up.
dave

Top Bottom