What's new

Brut Lotion by Faberge

Several years ago, when I discovered the glories of aftershave after more than 55 years on this earth, I bought a plastic bottle of Brut aftershave at my drugstore. Having bought the stuff for my dad several decades ago (with my mom's money, at Christmas time), I sensed the modern version was different from the version of my youth. I wore the stuff from the plastic modern version half-heartedly. My wife didn't notice what I was wearing.

Knowing I was missing something, I searched online for the glass jugs I remembered from my youth. I bought a glass bottle (6oz!) of vintage Brut Lotion from Faberge, on eBay. The first time I wore it, a couple of years ago, my wife commented later that morning in the car, "Are you wearing that cologne that all the boys wore in high school?" (That would be 1971-1974.) I looked at her, smiled, and said, "Yep." She smiled, and went back to her front-seat driving to warn me of all the perils on the road... And to leave me thinking about what "boys" she might be talking about...

I went with the vintage Brut again this morning. I'm sitting here now, 12 hours later, and can still smell the classic scent. The Faberge Brut might be the longest lasting AS I own, and among the best. I wish it were still around. It's my favorite vintage drugstore aftershave, and I've got vintage Old Spice, Skin Bracer, British Sterling, English Leather, Aqua Velva, etc. This stuff is special, to my nose.

I'm a big fan of Brut too........

When I was a kid the late 70s and early 80s, the late, great Henry Cooper did the Brut ads on TV and immortal lines like "Nothing beats the great smell of Brut" and "Splash it on all over" are the way I remember him best - after all his boxing career was a bit before my time.
I got my first bottle of Brut 33 as a Christmas present when I was 13 - the bottle was empty by New Year
After that, I seemed to get given Brut 33 every Christmas, and often on my birthday
On my 15th birthday I was lucky enough to get Brut Shampoo, Brut Talc and Brut 33 Splash On in a gift set.
I had a bath and put all 3 to good use - my Dad said he could smell it before I opened the door - and the fumes nearly knocked him out when I set foot in the living room
It definitely had staying power because the next day in school I got comments like......

"Has someone here got B.O. - or Brut"? and "You must have washed your shirt in it"!!

When I got back into DE shaving in November 2014, Brut was one of the first "Old School" aftershaves I bought.
I've tried the Brut Classic Aftershave manufactured in Mexico for the USA market, the European made Splash On and, IMHO the best by far, the European Brut Original Aftershave.

None of them are exactly the way I remember Brut 33 in the late 1980s, if anything the Brut Original Aftershave is better

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Brut and Paco Rabanne (cologne) are fougeres cut from very similar cloth ... try both and see.

Clean, soapy; classic fougere.

AA

I love Brut! I've got a bunch of it, both modern and vintage. The Brut Balm is good stuff too. I've also go the HUGE 26 oz bottle of Brut Cologne. That will last me a while! Also have a couple pucks of Honeybee Soaps Brut shaving soap which is a perfect match. If you like Brut, you should definitely try it.

I love Brut! I've got a bunch of it, both modern and vintage. The Brut Balm is good stuff too. I've also go the HUGE 26 oz bottle of Brut Cologne. That will last me a while! Also have a couple pucks of Honeybee Soaps Brut shaving soap which is a perfect match. If you like Brut, you should definitely try it.

I’m glad you decided to get the big jug, KJ! Do you keep it on your desk at work, like I do?

Top Bottom