What's new

Brush Acquisition Thread

I'm a badger man with 11 Simpsons. I just ordered my first boar, a Semogue 830 to see what I've been missing!
My Semogue 1800 is my favorite brush. I suggest breaking it in by just lathering it. I did the cold water trick in a boar and it splayed funny and reknotted it. I was very frustrated initially with thr Semogue and ready to give up at the beginning. Until it broke in. Here is my initial experience. My Semogue 1800: an 8 week journey

IMG_20181202_161454845.jpg

My new yaqi 30mm tuxedo was waiting for me when I got home today. Did a test palm lather and boy can this thing whip up some soap like nothing. Handle is hefty but extremely comfortable for me. Tips feel even softer than my RR plissoft.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My new yaqi 30mm tuxedo was waiting for me when I got home today. Did a test palm lather and boy can this thing whip up some soap like nothing. Handle is hefty but extremely comfortable for me. Tips feel even softer than my RR plissoft.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Nice!

The tips on Yaqi synthetics are softer than the other synthetic brush makers (except muhle).

Used my Moca brown mew this morning. I'm not a big synthetic fan, but that is a respectable brush. Love the handle. That brush could make the rotation.

Edit - oops, wrong thread. But it sorta fits here.

The tips themselves are very very soft when painting on, so if you bowl lather that's great. I face lather almost every day but found it's slightly scratchy, but has become softer over time with use. This is my first horse hair brush so I cannot attest as to how much softer it will get, but it has softened up a bit. The knot is very very dense and is almost a "wall of horse."

Could you please give me some information about this brush?
1) How is the backbone? I like 2 handles colours, but the 26x50mm knot, apart being very big, sounds as very strong in backbone, maybe more than boars!
2) Does the brush splay without tangling? I mean, can you use swirl motions in face lathering?

I found this at a little barber shop in Branson, MO today. No idea who made it or what it's made of but I'm pretty sure it's crystal. It has a nice grip and it's very hefty at 147 grams. If anyone's seen one like it, I'd appreciate the info. These pictures don't do justice to how sparkly it really is. :001_wub:

2018-12-11 12.37.54.jpg

2018-12-11 17.31.36.jpg

2018-12-11 18.26.18.jpg

2018-12-11 17.16.01.jpg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I found this at a little barber shop in Branson, MO today. No idea who made it or what it's made of but I'm pretty sure it's crystal. It has a nice grip and it's very hefty at 147 grams. If anyone's seen one like it, I'd appreciate the info. These pictures don't do justice to how sparkly it really is. :001_wub:

View attachment 934427

View attachment 934429

View attachment 934430

View attachment 934431

It’s Waterford Crystal. It’s the brush from a two piece set. The were expensive when new. I got a set from a thrift shop years ago at a much more affordable price

1D9624FD-C2D1-4AF8-95CE-BB7A12F7E3A0.jpeg

It’s Waterford Crystal. It’s the brush from a two piece set. The were expensive when new. I got a set from a thrift shop years ago at a much more affordable price

View attachment 935179

Thanks for the reply. Probably about the same time you replied last night, I was looking at it again and noticed a smudge on the bottom that wouldn't come off, then the light hit it just right and I saw it was a word. I figured it said something like made in China but when I looked at it with a magnifying glass I saw Waterford.

I did a little research and found where a couple of people said it is circa 1957 and the knot is Silvertip badger. Do you know anything about this?

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thanks for the reply. Probably about the same time you replied last night, I was looking at it again and noticed a smudge on the bottom that wouldn't come off, then the light hit it just right and I saw it was a word. I figured it said something like made in China but when I looked at it with a magnifying glass I saw Waterford.

I did a little research and found where a couple of people said it is circa 1957 and the knot is Silvertip badger. Do you know anything about this?

I don’t know when they started making the brushes, all the one I have seen have been with the razor. The razors came with a trac 2 cartridges with would make them from the 70’s. My brush is also 3 band badger, a little floppy and on the thin side but does not shed

Top Bottom