What's new

Brush Acquisition Thread

Epsilon White horse hair brush.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I recently added another brush to my den with the handle being from DC Shaving and a TurnNShave 26mm Timberwolf fan knot that I set myself... About 3-4 shaves with it so far and though it lathers well its not quite the same as the Angel Hair and the Quartermoon knots from Milton.
20181104_084714.jpg

My 3 DC Shaving handles w/ TurnNShave knots.
20181104_084644.jpg

I just received and used the Purple Haze with the 24mm Mew Brown knot. Here is a stock photo from the web, which is real close to real life!
proxy.php

I have a 24mm SynBad which is the same fiber but packed more dense, per info on another thread (email shared by member in which Andrew of APShaveCo answered that question).

I found the Purple Haze to be just as soft, but a wee bit more firm (backbone) without adding any scritch. I immediately loved the look and want to love the brush, and after the first use, I think I can love both this brush and the SynBad. Maybe in the future I'll try comparing them, but I am glad to have sprung for this brush.

On the down side, I have not had either of my SynBads lose a hair. The Yaqi lost 4 on its first use. The manufacturer states on the website that this is to be expected. I hope that I don't see more!

Just got the Atomic Rocket, the handle might be a little too big and heavy for me. I kinda wanted a syn similar in size to a Omega 10108. In hindsight the Starcraft would of suited me better.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I don't know what I bought or if it can be fixed but I got all weak kneed when I saw it... Here's hoping I can fix the crack and get a nice Shavemac knot in it!

Just got this last week, custom horse hair brush by DampCellarTurnings this is my first horse hair brush i love it
20181119_161007.jpg

I prefer smaller knots (22mm - 24mm) but decided to see what all the hullabaloo is about larger knots. I didn't get a 30mm, I went up to a 26mm. So I eased into a 26mm with a 56mm loft Stirling 2 band badger. What I'm hoping for is I'll learn to like the 26mm so I might jump into a Paladin some day! Here's a pic after washing it & breaking it in.
IMG_0233.jpg

For a size comparison, here it is next to my Rooney 22mm silvertip.
IMG_0234.jpg

E128CB64-7CF1-41CF-ABAD-2C97EF7BB470.jpeg
F459977E-25D9-47A9-86B6-12BDC67E899F.jpeg
I just had this Ever Ready 1000L reknotted with a 20mm TGN Master Silver Badger According to TGN, the hairs are naturally shorter for a less floppy knot.

Very nice. What is the horse hair like compared to a badger or boar?
The tips themselves are very very soft when painting on, so if you bowl lather that's great. I face lather almost every day but found it's slightly scratchy, but has become softer over time with use. This is my first horse hair brush so I cannot attest as to how much softer it will get, but it has softened up a bit. The knot is very very dense and is almost a "wall of horse."

The tips themselves are very very soft when painting on, so if you bowl lather that's great. I face lather almost every day but found it's slightly scratchy, but has become softer over time with use. This is my first horse hair brush so I cannot attest as to how much softer it will get, but it has softened up a bit. The knot is very very dense and is almost a "wall of horse."

“Wall of Horse” would be a great band name. If you face lather every day, I’d suggest a Semogue 1800 (which is the only boar I own and my favorite brush)

Well thanks to Canada Post's greed and constant striking, this took about 6.5 weeks to get here! But alas, I now have a tiny synthetic that has been searched for, for a long time! My new Maggard Travel arrived this morning. Here it be along with my daily EJ STF 19mm, and the Omega 22mm.
proxy.php

Top Bottom