What's new

Brotherhood of Above The Tie Shavers (BATTS)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Any hints on the "other projects"?

Sorry, no. What I can say about the G1 is that I don't think it got the reception the folks at ATT were hoping. The reaction to it was a little lukewarm, with some guys saying they couldn't see paying that for a Gem-style razor when they could buy a whole coffee can full of old Gem razors for $2.50 apiece. I guess some of them came back, maybe more than they were thinking.

It's definitely a good razor. It's designed to match the 1912 shave, which I can report that the original and the more aggressive version both do. Very well, I might add, but I tend not to get a smooth shave with most safety-bar Gems. Gem and Gem-ish razors with open combs are fantastic.

I've done a few things and some other mods have been suggested. The simple fact is that wet shaving is a niche, single-edge is a niche of that niche, Gem-style is a niche of a niche of a niche, Modern Gem-style is a niche of a niche of a niche of a niche, and that means a modern Gem-style open comb razor is a niche of a niche of a niche of a niche of a niche.

It's not really worth putting the time into the engineering challenges if it's not going to excite anyone. Much as I wish MY favourite razor style was a little more enchanting, I live with what I have. Matt says ATT may return to the Gem idea some day, but it'll be a while.

O.H.

Much as I wish MY favourite razor style was a little more enchanting, I live with what I have. Matt says ATT may return to the Gem idea some day, but it'll be a while.

O.H.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised when ATT came out with a slant head. I guess all ideas have their time. Merry Christmas!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Well, I was pleasantly surprised when ATT came out with a slant head. I guess all ideas have their time. Merry Christmas!

I didn't like the look of that slant head when it came out, but then I was looking at online pix. I like the G1 so much that I picked up an SE1/2 combo pack to try AC. Found out THAT was a blade too far for me (especially in the SE2) and thought, "What the heck. Let's see if I can trade the SE combo for an S combo" and put it up on the BST.

What came back was an offer to trade an S2 for the SE1. Wasn't going to do it at first, after the owner said he thought it was "too harsh" for him. But in the end I sent him an SE1 head and he sent me the S2 head. I'm glad I didn't hold out for the S1 as well. I find the S2 to be the best DE razor I've ever used.

I've used a couple of slants and really like the shave, but I have to say any other slant I pick up from now on has a really high bar to get over. There are a few, though, like the Merkur 37, the Ikon, maybe even a PAA BOCS that I'd like to try, but right at the moment I'm not interested enough to go through all that online mahooha to get them.

So, yeah...still got an SE2 head that I'll happily trade for an S1 head or we can talk...

O.H.

Guess I should join in here. I have the following ATT razors: Windsor SE1 Calypso handle, Windsor DE with CM1 and SSR1 plates with Kronos handle and the Classic with M1 and R1 plates and Atlas handle. Enjoy all, but the Windsor’s are my favorites. My very first ATT was the Blue Aluminum Special Edition with the H plate and Calypso handle, found that too aggressive so bought the M1 plate. Just sold the Aluminum as it wasn’t getting the love it deserved.

Reactions: nav
The daily driver got a thorough cleaning yesterday! My ATT S1 with new Calypso XL handle.
7A8827BA-D9A6-486F-A35F-7191EF5D49D0.jpeg

Check in BATTS!

• Love
Reactions: nav
This is somewhat of a thread resurrection, but I just picked up an Above the Tie handle from eBay, so I now have one for each ATT head. The new handle is 3 1/2" like the one on my X1 but is polished and has the cross-hatched pattern rather than the barber shop pole detail. I wanted one of the different versions of the ATT handles offered, and while I would have preferred a satin finish for $25, I wasn't about to let it go. Maybe Blackland will have some previous handle designs available when they roll out ATT from the ashes!
IMG_4581.jpg
IMG_4582.jpg

Top Bottom