What's new

Broken camera?

Well I came across my old camera at my parent's house. Kalimar K-90 35mm, probably got it close to 10 yrs ago. Well when I look through the view finder you can't see anything, and when you open the back the shutter curtain is closed, I'm pretty sure it use to be opened when I'd open the back. So would the shutter curtain be broke? If so is that easy to repair?

I looked up the manual on that camera, as well as pulling out my pentax k1000 to take a look at a few things.

what i came up with is that i'm pretty sure the shutter curtain is meant to be closed.

in fact, my guess is that the problem lies on the other side of that curtain, ie the mirror is stuck in the up position. to check on this, hold the camera above your head, with the lens facing down, and detach the lens. if you can see the mirror, than its obviously not that and you'll have to think of something else. if you cant (and it should look like a black void in there) than that is your problem. try pulling the mirror back down and see if it wasn't just stuck.

oh, btw if your not worried about dust, you dont have to do this with the camera above your head.

dan.

How's the battery doin' after ten years? Maybe a fresh battery might get things going. Just a guess.

I looked up the manual on that camera, as well as pulling out my pentax k1000 to take a look at a few things.

what i came up with is that i'm pretty sure the shutter curtain is meant to be closed.

in fact, my guess is that the problem lies on the other side of that curtain, ie the mirror is stuck in the up position. to check on this, hold the camera above your head, with the lens facing down, and detach the lens. if you can see the mirror, than its obviously not that and you'll have to think of something else. if you cant (and it should look like a black void in there) than that is your problem. try pulling the mirror back down and see if it wasn't just stuck.

oh, btw if your not worried about dust, you dont have to do this with the camera above your head.

dan.

I just checked that and the mirror actually was in the up position, I tried pulling it back down, but it just sprung back to the up position.

...and yes, new batteries.:tongue_sm

I just checked that and the mirror actually was in the up position, I tried pulling it back down, but it just sprung back to the up position.

...and yes, new batteries.:tongue_sm

uh oh...

so...either there is a "mirror up" function on that camera that needs to be turned off (though this sounds unlikely because in most cameras you have to click the shutter from the down position to make it lock up) or else the springs need to be replaced...

actually, im wondering if it was ever serviced at home? or by someone who wasn't entirely sure what they were doing? they might have put in the springs improperly?

uh oh...

so...either there is a "mirror up" function on that camera that needs to be turned off (though this sounds unlikely because in most cameras you have to click the shutter from the down position to make it lock up) or else the springs need to be replaced...

actually, im wondering if it was ever serviced at home? or by someone who wasn't entirely sure what they were doing? they might have put in the springs improperly?

Has never been worked on.

I'll probably just have to take it somewhere.

I'll keep fiddling with it for a while though.

You atleast steered me in the right direction, I'd still be thinking it was the shutter curtain.

Thanks

On a K1000, if the mirror locks up you can take off the bottom cover and nudge the mirror-return lever that will then be exposed. Don't know how Kalimars are constructed.

Top Bottom