What's new

boot sole repair.

Does anyone know what would work better for fixing the soles of work boots, silicone or urethane?

I spent a small fortune on a nice pair of work boots thinking they would last me for a long time. Come to find out, along time is 7 months of easy use. Im a little angry because I could have bought the cheap walmart boots at a fraction of the price and had them last just as long...sorry end of rant.

You may wish to call upon the professional services of a cobbler. He should be able to help you out and in the future when looking for a pair of boots, try to find something that has a goodyear welt type of construction. I have my eye on a pair of these, by Red Wing:

Who made the boot? Seven months is fast for an expensive work boot. Also the company may offer rebuilds. If all else fails a cobbler should be able to make the repair especially if it has a Vibram Sole. tblech; In my experience, and knowing many that have also had Red Wing boots, consider Chippewa. They are a better boot for about the same price.

I go through 2 pairs a year... Redwings.. but I work the heck out of them.
cracked soul or worn through?
Shoo-Goo can make an acceptable repair somewhat depending on the damage,,,
but you may want the services of a cobbler as was stated for a better more lasting repair

You may wish to call upon the professional services of a cobbler. He should be able to help you out and in the future when looking for a pair of boots, try to find something that has a goodyear welt type of construction. I have my eye on a pair of these, by Red Wing:
attachment.php

Those redwing 9014's have intrigued me for a while, It seems they are only available in "d" width.:frown:

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Those redwing 9014's have intrigued me for a while, It seems they are only available in "d" width.:frown:

ROFL...

I sent him a PM asking what brand those were as well. I have been looking for a boot/shoe like that for some time that could be resoled. Rats to the D width.

They are the Wolverine Durashock 2582. Wolverine does not fix/repair boots and sole replacement runs about 70 bucks. Im better of just getting a 30$ pair from walmarts instead of fixing them.

The sole is cracked not worn thru, but I want to stop the cracks from becoming larger since the rest of the boot is like new.

I go through 2 pairs a year... Redwings.. but I work the heck out of them.
cracked soul or worn through?
Shoo-Goo can make an acceptable repair somewhat depending on the damage,,,
but you may want the services of a cobbler as was stated for a better more lasting repair

I was going through two pairs of Red Wings a year too. I now wear Whites boots, they are the best boot I have found. They cost alot, and take a long time to break in, after that they feel like your wearing tennis shoes. Best part is they are 100% rebuildable http://www.whitesboots.com/boots-about.php

They are the Wolverine Durashock 2582. Wolverine does not fix/repair boots and sole replacement runs about 70 bucks. Im better of just getting a 30$ pair from walmarts instead of fixing them.

The sole is cracked not worn thru, but I want to stop the cracks from becoming larger since the rest of the boot is like new.

I would attempt return them - they may have some sort of guarantee.

I contacted the online vendor and they said 7 months is too long. The cracks are not bad, so I will try shoe goo and hope that prevents the cracking from getting worse.

These are nice boots. The leather is amazing, its so soft yet durable and the durashock insole is the most comfortable Ive ever used. However, the soles seem to be the weakest link and no matter how good the leather is, if the soles fall apart, the boot is worthless. I think I will stick to vibram soles from now on.

Thanks all, Ill fix em up with shoe goo and see how that goes.

The best bet is to get them professionally repaired, it's still cheaper than a new pair. And you might be able to get the resoled multiple times.

I'm reminded of a local shoe repair guy I use who is named Jesse James. He's a rather fit black guy about five and a half feet tall and a real character to talk to. I took in a pair of hard soled moccasins that I've had for almost forever. He took a look at them and shook his head. "There's nothing left to work with here, so that I can stitch the soles on."

I explained to him how long that I've had them and how handy it was to keep them next to the door if I had to run a quick errand. Jesse grinned and said, "I know what you mean and I got hit with that just today. My wife calls them my 'Honey, take out the trash shoes!'" :lol:

ROFL...

I sent him a PM asking what brand those were as well. I have been looking for a boot/shoe like that for some time that could be resoled. Rats to the D width.

Whites-

White's Semi-Dress 5"
White's 5" Semi-Dress - 100 Years of Quality
The Semi-Dress is White's answer to a light utility shoe for active workers who are constantly on their feet. The hand-sewn, stitch-down construction shapes the shoe to your foot to ensure superb comfort. A single, flexible, oak leather sole, combined with a 5 inch mid-weight leather upper, provides the same tough trademark qualities of a White's work boot, yet in a shorter shoe height.
  • 5 inch height
  • Available in Brown or Black premium full-grain, Semi-Dress leather
  • Optional Water Buffalo leather: Dark Brown, Light Brown, Black, or Sienna.
  • Optional French Calf leather: Burgandy, Black, Dark Brown, Brown Pebble.
  • Single Leather sole, or Oil proof composition
  • Four rows of lock stitching for rock-solid durability
  • Reinforced toe box
  • Optional with Rolled Top
  • Laces included
  • Completely rebuildable for years of extended life and value
  • Available sizes: 4 - 14 including half sizes
  • Available widths: B,C,D,E,EE
  • Custom orders with International shipping (Japan $55, China $65)
How to order for shipment to Japan or International: Place your order online using our address and put your ship to address in the comments box. We will adjust your tax and shipping amount prior to charging your credit card. We will confirm your order when received. Credit card is secure online. Please email us if you have any questions: [email protected]
WHITE'S PATENTED ARCH EASE™ SUPPORT

There's never been anything quite like it for all day comfort.

If your feet have ever suffered at the end of the day, you'll find new comfort in White's Boots. Why White's? The reason is generations old: uncommon workmanship and White's patented Arch Ease™ design. A design that duplicates the natural contour of your foot.

To appreciate this natural phenomenon, take a moment to sit down. Now cross your legs and relax. Notice the angle formed by your leg and foot. As customarily believed, it is not a right angle. Instead, your relaxed foot points slightly downward.
proxy.php
In fact you can see your foot's relaxed angle detailed in our Arch Ease™ illustration. Observe the high heel and arch supporting the foot in its natural resting position. This critical heel placement affords generous arch support when positioned well under the weight-bearing bones of the leg. Setting the heel ahead also shortens the arch, adding dramatic strength.

Best of all, wearing a new pair of White's will allow you to feel the extra Arch Ease™ support missing from ordinary boots. Especially when you lift heavy objects or put pressure on your feet.

Now, at the end of a hard day your feet will feel good! And that's what White's Boots are all about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seems more rugged than the Alden for the same money.

+3 For Whites. They do their own resoles and rebuilds in house. I had terrible plantar fasciitis until I went with their boots. Wouldn't try anything else now.

I contacted the online vendor and they said 7 months is too long. The cracks are not bad, so I will try shoe goo and hope that prevents the cracking from getting worse.

These are nice boots. The leather is amazing, its so soft yet durable and the durashock insole is the most comfortable Ive ever used. However, the soles seem to be the weakest link and no matter how good the leather is, if the soles fall apart, the boot is worthless. I think I will stick to vibram soles from now on.

Thanks all, Ill fix em up with shoe goo and see how that goes.

The sole of the boot is what led me to Redwings...
they have this clear softer sole that gives such good traction..
no big lugs but just a special type of rubber compound..
We were working sheeting a roof with plywood one winter at - 30C and the plywood was so slippery/frozen it was almost impossible to walk on.
The fellas with the Redwings were having no tuoble whatsoever, me with my Vibrams could not do it, the soles were frozen and slippery..it was bid time dangerous..
now with the Redwings, the non slipness in almost all types of conditions make them very attractive
Good luck with the repair job.. those cracked soles usually mean the end.

I was going through two pairs of Red Wings a year too. I now wear Whites boots, they are the best boot I have found. They cost alot, and take a long time to break in, after that they feel like your wearing tennis shoes. Best part is they are 100% rebuildable http://www.whitesboots.com/boots-about.php

Thanks for the link... and the suggestion. :cool:

I have never seen nor heard of those before!
They look quite different, with such a high looking heel.. not sure what to make of them
but if they are as good as they claim and as you's have suggested...well
I'd best look into them :wink:

I looked for a shortwhile at their site and could not see if they had any *steeltoe* boots.. That is what I would require

also on the Plantar F mention... I have that as well and now have to wear Orthotics to keep it under control.. wonder if that will be doable with the Whites? or perhaps not needed.. that would be good.
I may just look into a pair just for more street useage and take it from there..
sure would be nice to have a dealer to try them on before the decision is finalized... I'll have to look around some.
:thumbup1:

Whites-

White's Semi-Dress 5"
The Semi-Dress is White's answer to a light utility shoe for active workers who are constantly on their feet. The hand-sewn, stitch-down construction shapes the shoe to your foot to ensure superb comfort. A single, flexible, oak leather sole, combined with a 5 inch mid-weight leather upper, provides the same tough trademark qualities of a White's work boot, yet in a shorter shoe height.
  • 5 inch height
  • Reinforced toe box
  • Laces included
How to order for shipment to Japan or International: Place your order online using our address and put your ship to address in the comments box. We will adjust your tax and shipping amount prior to charging your credit card. We will confirm your order when received. Credit card is secure online. Please email us if you have any questions: [email protected]

If your feet have ever suffered at the end of the day, you'll find new comfort in White's Boots. Why White's? The reason is generations old: uncommon workmanship and White's patented Arch Ease™ design. A design that duplicates the natural contour of your foot.

To appreciate this natural phenomenon, take a moment to sit down. Now cross your legs and relax. Notice the angle formed by your leg and foot. As customarily believed, it is not a right angle. Instead, your relaxed foot points slightly downward.
proxy.php
In fact you can see your foot's relaxed angle detailed in our Arch Ease™ illustration. Observe the high heel and arch supporting the foot in its natural resting position. This critical heel placement affords generous arch support when positioned well under the weight-bearing bones of the leg. Setting the heel ahead also shortens the arch, adding dramatic strength.

Best of all, wearing a new pair of White's will allow you to feel the extra Arch Ease™ support missing from ordinary boots. Especially when you lift heavy objects or put pressure on your feet.

Now, at the end of a hard day your feet will feel good! And that's what White's Boots are all about.

Railroad work rules require a minimum hight of 6 inches, drat...

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Whites-

White's Semi-Dress 5"
  • 5 inch height
  • Reinforced toe box
  • Laces included

proxy.php

Yeah...Now to find some place in Manhattan that carries the Whites brand. Would really like to pick up those shoes.

I own a pair of Whites Boots and they are the best around. They are an old company in Washington State and have a large following in the logger and wildland fire fighter community. You can do this through the mail. Get a measuring kit from them, you trace your foot, take all kind of foot measurements, and then leg circumference measurements. Chances are they have a last that will match your foot, and if they don't they will contact you about building a custom pair. They do make steel toe boots also.

I own a pair of Whites Boots and they are the best around. They are an old company in Washington State and have a large following in the logger and wildland fire fighter community. You can do this through the mail. Get a measuring kit from them, you trace your foot, take all kind of foot measurements, and then leg circumference measurements. Chances are they have a last that will match your foot, and if they don't they will contact you about building a custom pair. They do make steel toe boots also.

sounds good :thumbup1:

Top Bottom