What's new

Bohin Adjustable - first shave and impressions (pic heavy)

Still nothing definitive. ...

Someone posted this 8 years ago:
I find with the V-shaped notches (referring to the blade holding pins on the base plate) pointing up (toward the cap), the shave is a little milder.

Looks like I will have to do a test if no documentation pops up.

Last edited:
I spent way too much time looking for the instructions yesterday. I give up, until I happen across them again.
I figured I could easily find them if I wanted, but as they're in French skipped right by them. Oh well!

Digital calipers anyone?

Ok. Had two goes with both sides and the plate with reading cote de tres pres lame (very close shave) facing inwards gives a more aggressive shaving. Was not expecting that at all.
Always aiming for the aggressivness and never bothered for less I assumed the opposite.

Had always set the other way around earlier- never bothered on having it on the reverse side- and therefore thought the razor was not particular wild at all (that´s fine- it was still up to my personal preferences as giving a good shave). These days I tend to want my razors a bit more dangerous. The setting mentioned above was a tad more aggressive. Maybe a lot. Need to try with fresh blades again.
That´s my take on it.

Ok. Had two goes with both sides and the plate with reading cote de tres pres lame (very close shave) facing inwards gives a more aggressive shaving. Was not expecting that at all.
Always aiming for the aggressivness and never bothered for less I assumed the opposite.

Had always set the other way around earlier- never bothered on having it on the reverse side- and therefore thought the razor was not particular wild at all (that´s fine- it was still up to my personal preferences as giving a good shave). These days I tend to want my razors a bit more dangerous. The setting mentioned above was a tad more aggressive. Maybe a lot. Need to try with fresh blades again.
That´s my take on it.
I keep forgetting to take mine out and try it. Came to mind that the post ends visible through the holes on the cap is a good indicator also. Notched = less aggressive (de pres facing the blade). Correct or do I have it backwards?

I keep forgetting to take mine out and try it. Came to mind that the post ends visible through the holes on the cap is a good indicator also. Notched = less aggressive (de pres facing the blade). Correct or do I have it backwards?
Yep. I concur with you that the De Pres facing the cap is the milder setting. I will revisit both settings again. Time to dig out your Bohin @HDSledge!

Finally an answer ! Thanks to @The French provider we now have a copy of the original instructions :

Notice Bohin recto.jpg

Notice Bohin verso.jpg

The text says : when the head it open, place the blade on the baseplate side you wish to use, this means the text that is IN the head when the razor is closed is the setting you are using.

As we say here, voilà !

Excellent! Many thanks. I have now finished off many shaves and this is spot on my observations as well. Solid razor. At last it´s on the more aggressive side thanks to this thread.

Finally an answer ! Thanks to @The French provider we now have a copy of the original instructions :

View attachment 1557416

View attachment 1557417

The text says : when the head it open, place the blade on the baseplate side you wish to use, this means the text that is IN the head when the razor is closed is the setting you are using.

As we say here, voilà !
Well done!

Btw I have an unusual little French travel set on the way from across the pond. Maybe @The French provider can provide some details on it. I will post pics when it arrives.

Well done!

Btw I have an unusual little French travel set on the way from across the pond. Maybe @The French provider can provide some details on it. I will post pics when it arrives.
i can not help a lot because mine is still NOS and sealed:

Attachments

• IMG_20220421_090324_027.jpg
    IMG_20220421_090324_027.jpg
    707.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220421_090344_807.jpg
    IMG_20220421_090344_807.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20220421_090357_634.jpg
    IMG_20220421_090357_634.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220421_090415_694.jpg
    IMG_20220421_090415_694.jpg
    662 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20220421_090438_001.jpg
    IMG_20220421_090438_001.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20220421_090516_380.jpg
    IMG_20220421_090516_380.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 31
hoooo...so classy set!
Got it today! It is a very nicely constructed and unique set. The cap is spring loaded like a cigarette lighter. I have not seen another one like it. Will take pics and post a new thread in acquisitions. Perhaps you can add some information on date made and maker.

Je l'ai eu aujourd'hui ! C'est un ensemble très bien construit et unique. Le capuchon est à ressort comme un allume-cigare. Je n'en ai pas vu d'autre comme ça. Je prendrai des photos et publierai un nouveau fil dans les acquisitions. Peut-être pouvez-vous ajouter des informations sur la date de fabrication et le fthis razor may be back at mother land
this razor may just get back at mother land...i only found this:

Top Bottom