What's new

Bohin Adjustable - first shave and impressions (pic heavy)

Dumb question, but if you want "close" or "very close" do you have the words you want facing up (under the top cap) or down so you can still read it above the handle?
I'm probably over thinking it...

Ha you know, dang if I remember. I need to use it tomorrow, it’s clearly been too long :)

I would hazard a guess though that the words facing out is the side you are using?

Hehe, the words say it quite clearly (in french, mind you) for once. It means, when the razor is shave-ready and you can read the plate :

- De près côté lame = close shave on the blade side
or
- De très près côté lame = Super close shave on the blade side

Hehe, the words say it quite clearly (in french, mind you) for once. It means, when the razor is shave-ready and you can read the plate :

- De près côté lame = close shave on the blade side
or
- De très près côté lame = Super close shave on the blade side
I'm just as confused lol.
I can't read it when it's assembled on the blade side, it's under the blade.
So if it's assembled, and I can read super close shave on the handle side, it's it set up for super close shave, or no?

Sorry if my sentence was not clear enough : when the blade is inside the head, and you screwed the handle back on, so you are ready to shave with is, the only side you can read now says what happens on the side you don't see anymore.

Sorry if my sentence was not clear enough : when the blade is inside the head, and you screwed the handle back on, so you are ready to shave with is, the only side you can read now says what happens on the side you don't see anymore.
I think you have it backwards. The side facing up that you place the blade on is marked with what you get. If you load the blade onto the tres pres side you get very close. If pres is facing up you get regular closeness. I could be wrong. Maybe someone has a copy of some old advertisement on the "adjustability". I think it's strange to call anything adjustable that only has 2 settings. :)

Last edited:
I think you have it backwards. The side facing up that you place the blade on is marked with what you get. If you load the blade onto the tres pres side you get very close. If pres is facing up you get regular closeness. I could be wrong.
Exactly! Still confused. Does anyone have the instructions?
Either way would make sense, pres up would be pres... seems obvious, but then when assembled you'd see tres pres and think that's what you're getting...so maybe that is right?
Ugh.

Exactly! Still confused. Does anyone have the instructions?
Either way would make sense, pres up would be pres... seems obvious, but then when assembled you'd see tres pres and think that's what you're getting...so maybe that is right?
Ugh.
I've had one for a while and always assumed the side you can read as you are loading the blade is the setting you will wind up with. Can't say I noticed a big difference between the 2 sides but now am curious. Next time I have it out I will be sure to check it during a shave.

Since this thread is throwing renewed and well deserved love at the Bohin I want to show the perfect set I upgraded to a while back. Love this razor model which looks like noone else in the DE world. SO art deco!

68CB03AB-21C4-4EF8-BBF1-20A988945093.jpeg
55CCCCB9-25FF-4632-8FAB-FFABA530AB16.jpeg
4AE52B04-2F60-4C18-8EC1-90E7AAA058CB.jpeg
8C07325B-0D03-4918-8F5F-6B25E3D2FDF7.jpeg
5E3DB5D1-A3D7-4CD2-8870-0266F706843B.jpeg

4E19FBC6-8E7A-4F1C-8760-195191F4330C.jpeg
5DFF37A0-5427-4E73-900E-709A9BC5C600.jpeg

This recent example seems to confirm my conclusion that the side the blade is facing indicates the setting. Totally different razor but same scenario of 2 sides, one regular, one more aggressive.
IMG_2746 marked.png

Have we agreed or not? Why would the idea of Tres facing outwards be the most logically thing to me to be honest. It should…

Find and post please. The mystery must be solved.
No promises...just went down a rabbit hole searching. Some cool info in this fb post; links inside take you to a full French fan page.

Top Bottom