What's new

Blood test gone wrong

Couple times a year at least my primary care doc directs me to get blood tests. I'm old, have the usual old guy issues.

So, went to the lab Monday and they stuck a needle in me.

Yesterday the doctors office called. Sorta panicked. Very, very high potassium number. Indicative of kidney failure and other unpleasant things.

Naturally, the second thing I thought was, "I have to PIF my shaving kit."

The first thing was less noble.

Fast forward, doctors office insisted I re-do the blood test STAT.

Guess the lab tech screwed up the first test, cuz the potassium # was normal second time. Got the call last evening.

This wasn't quite like being on death row and getting word the Governor was issuing a pardon, but today is gonna be a better day than yesterday.

Yup. Today is going to be a pretty good day.

Couple times a year at least my primary care doc directs me to get blood tests. I'm old, have the usual old guy issues.

So, went to the lab Monday and they stuck a needle in me.

Yesterday the doctors office called. Sorta panicked. Very, very high potassium number. Indicative of kidney failure and other unpleasant things.

Naturally, the second thing I thought was, "I have to PIF my shaving kit."

The first thing was less noble.

Fast forward, doctors office insisted I re-do the blood test STAT.

Guess the lab tech screwed up the first test, cuz the potassium # was normal second time. Got the call last evening.

This wasn't quite like being on death row and getting word the Governor was issuing a pardon, but today is gonna be a better day than yesterday.

Yup. Today is going to be a pretty good day.
Mac, some times my potassium reads 5.4 up to 7.0.
I do have stage 3 CKD, I have to stay on a low protein diet.
Your lab test might have been right the first time, but keep a close watch on your diet and blood tests. I get my blood test once a month. I was diagnosed with diabetes and Ckd in 2006. Always glad to help out a younger man like your self. But seriously keep an eye on the blood work.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Glad to hear the second results came back good. But I would agree that it would be wise to keep an eye on just on case. I wounder if that is something you can get a home test kit for like blood sugar.

That's why I haven't been to a doctor or gotten a blood test in 6 years. I prefer to be surprised when my time is up.

Blood tests can vary quite a bit depending on what you ate in the past day or so as well as what exercise, if any, you have done.

Apparently mishandling of the blood by the lab can produce a high # result.

That is what I read on the Internet, and you can't lie there.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Excellent news. Just about ANYTHING can screw up blood samples. Good thing they did another one. All those tubes are color coded for a reason; sometimes they are meant to be spun out, some have a preservative, etc.

A friend had a false positive for HIV once about a year after a surgery. This was 1989. Protocols are different today, and the tests for blood donors are better.

Today IS a good day, my friend! Shave twice.

Last edited:
How do you know the good sample wasn't screwed up at the lab? That is why a third sample would not hurt.

I would be dead by now from stroke, heart attack or colon cancer if I didn't go, and I'm only 50.

It's all a luck of the draw. I'm in my 70's, my father and grandfather both died from colon cancer. Cancer and heart disease also run on my mother's side. I'm 30 lbs overweight, eat crappy, don't exercise, drink too much and yet I'm still here. Go figure. The worst I ever felt was when I tried to get healthy and went to a doctor who prescribed statins for 18 months. I never filled a prescription. He had a cabinet-load of samples they gave me every time I went. My nighttime hip and leg pain stopped when I stopped taking them, and at that point I stopped going to doctors.

A man I worked with came from a family where no male member has ever reached 65. He smoked for years and only quit when he was in the hospital and under oxygen. He is 30 pounds overweight. He can drink more than anyone I know. His idea of exercise is sitting at a bar and lifting a drink. He is no 86 years old.

Ha, ha, ha......

When SWMBO and I got married they wanted to do a blood test for issues with possible children or such.

I "assumed" it would be only SWMBO since I had that issue "taken care of" years prior.

When they headed toward me with a needle after taking blood from SWMBO, I said "whoa" I can't have children. You're not sticking me.

SWMBO turned to me and said if I didn't, I would be walking back to Florida.

Needless to say, I got stuck and got married.

Last edited:
Several years ago, I got a UTI and went to an urgent care clinic for antibiotics. The doctor recommended that I go to my primary care physician for a followup visit. When I went, they ran blood tests including PSA. That test came back slightly elevated and my primary care doctor recommended that I go to a urologist for a biopsy. I did not believe going to the urologist was necessary as I was pretty sure the UTI had caused the elevated reading. Thus, I never went to the urologist. The PSA reading has since dropped to normal levels and remained there year after year. However, I get it checked annually, just in case. I have a number of friends who have had prostate cancer surgery, so I do not want to take chances.

Tests are useful, but if a single test is the only indication of a potential problem, then it might not be that big a deal. However, a followup test in a few months is probably indicated. Potassium levels can normally be controlled by diuretics. Some spare potassium and others remove excess potassium from the body. You physician can select the right one for you if needed. In the mean time, drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and keep the kidneys flushed out.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Good to hear that all is well. We want you around for a lot longer. Lots of us enjoy your commentary.

Glad to here your doing okay.
Don't panic and give everything away because of kidney failure. Five years ago I had both kidneys removed. That's what I said both of them are gone. Dialysis isn't pleasant but it sure beats the alternative. Lucky for me, my son in law gave me one of his. I'm still here, still using traditional shave equipment and still working. Blood tests are now a monthly thing. I even tell the lab techs where the best location to stick me is.
I knew I had the kidney disease for ten or twelve years before its got to the point of surgery. Just hadn't found the right doctor. Proper information on diet, may have helped. All I was told was " No cure, nothing we can do about it but monitor you."

Glad to here your doing okay.
Don't panic and give everything away because of kidney failure. Five years ago I had both kidneys removed. That's what I said both of them are gone. Dialysis isn't pleasant but it sure beats the alternative. Lucky for me, my son in law gave me one of his. I'm still here, still using traditional shave equipment and still working. Blood tests are now a monthly thing. I even tell the lab techs where the best location to stick me is.
I knew I had the kidney disease for ten or twelve years before its got to the point of surgery. Just hadn't found the right doctor. Proper information on diet, may have helped. All I was told was " No cure, nothing we can do about it but monitor you."
Glad things are going well for you, as I said in my post I've got stage 3 ckd. Watch my diet and hope for the best.
I see you are a truck driver, me too 1964 till 2007.
Take care, and I'll keep watching your posts.

Top Bottom