Blood makes poor lather

Shave #43:
Date: 10/30/2018
Prep: Hot Shower
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
Brush: Omega Boar
Razor: J&R Dodge Judicato "Prussian Army" 5/8”
A/S: Lucky Tiger

An adequate shave today. Solidly SAS, and I have no real complaints. I cut my chin riding the lightning, but I knew I was pushing my luck with that angle - I wanted to see if I could get away with it, and the answer is a qualified "maybe".

Alum was about as happy / cranky as I expected.

Now, at the end of the day, I can feel the scruff having grown back a lot more than it did this time yesterday, so tomorrow should probably be a solid, close shave if I want it to last.

A few more shaves will tell, but I do believe it is getting close to time to refresh my 0.1 balsa, and maybe to refresh this razor's edge on the 0.5 and 0.25 a little.

Lessons Learned: Not every shave do I need to chase super close. I was pleased overall with the tradeoff of results / time spent on todays pretty perfunctory shave.

Lessons Learned: Not every shave do I need to chase super close. I was pleased overall with the tradeoff of results / time spent on todays pretty perfunctory shave.

To quote the great philosopher Dori, “Just keep swimming”. Those super close ones will start falling into place.

If you walk away being pleased, it’s all good.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Shave #43:

An adequate shave today. Solidly SAS, and I have no real complaints. I cut my chin riding the lightning, but I knew I was pushing my luck with that angle - I wanted to see if I could get away with it, and the answer is a qualified "maybe".

Alum was about as happy / cranky as I expected.

Now, at the end of the day, I can feel the scruff having grown back a lot more than it did this time yesterday, so tomorrow should probably be a solid, close shave if I want it to last.

A few more shaves will tell, but I do believe it is getting close to time to refresh my 0.1 balsa, and maybe to refresh this razor's edge on the 0.5 and 0.25 a little.

If I have a razor that seems a bit off, I’ll run a full balsa progression just to make sure. You are doing fine. Just keep at it.

Shave #44:
Prep: None - dry
Soap: None - Dry
Brush: None - Dry

So I didn't originally set out last night to have this happen. I was stropping up the Shell razor for today's shave, and decided to fiddle a little with magnification and edges. For a grin, I took a swipe at one of the areas that had grown in more. Then, another. Then another.

I put on some youtube I've been meaning to catch up with, and sat back, absentmindedly shaving away. Before I knew it, an hour had passed, and I was back to SAS level, or maybe a bit closer.

I can't say it was the most comfortable shave I've had. I realized what I had done when I started noticing the skin irritation. I went and grabbed the lucky tiger to help sooth, and even that burned in spots.

This morning, however, my skin is free of any leftover irritation, and does not feel sensitive like it would the day after a bad razor burn. Feels pretty good in fact. I will be having an actual, prepped and intentional shave a bit later today.

Lessons Learned: No prep straight shaving is a great way to exfoliate and irritate, but isn't as bad as I had thought it would be. Also, I can apparently absentmindedly shave my entire face without a mirror and not draw any blood, as I didn't cut myself even once. Go figure.

Shave #45:
Date: 10/31/2018
Soap: Arko
Brush: SOC Boar
Razor: Shell "Real German" 5/8”

What a shave!

After last nights fiasco, I really wanted to be sure to have everything in order. You might be surprised that I reach for Arko when I have Wholly Kaw on hand. When I need to be sure my soap will perform EXACTLY as I want it to, Arko is my go-to soap. This stuff punches WAY above its weight class, easily outperforming the TOBS sandalwood I've been trying to 3017, and hitting within 90% of the best I've had out of the WK.

The Wholly Kaw may, ultimately, prove to be better, but I am not as familiar with it, and sometimes still mess up the water/soap ratio. Arko leaves me feeling a little dryer, and doesn't smell as nice, but it's super easy to use, and really works good in the shave.

Speaking of the shave - Damn! This was one of those shaves where everything just comes together nice and smooth. Typical two passes with touchups, and I'm feeling CCS to DFS all over! (I'd say more DFS than CCS). No irritation, no new blood (got that scar a bit, but it doesn't count).

Lessons Learned: Arko FTW! Also, I am back to admiring how smooth and sharp a method edge really shaves. I guess the ultimate lesson here is I enjoy shaving with a straight razor ;)

Shave #44:
Prep: None - dry
Soap: None - Dry
Brush: None - Dry

So I didn't originally set out last night to have this happen. I was stropping up the Shell razor for today's shave, and decided to fiddle a little with magnification and edges. For a grin, I took a swipe at one of the areas that had grown in more. Then, another. Then another.

I put on some youtube I've been meaning to catch up with, and sat back, absentmindedly shaving away. Before I knew it, an hour had passed, and I was back to SAS level, or maybe a bit closer.

I can't say it was the most comfortable shave I've had. I realized what I had done when I started noticing the skin irritation. I went and grabbed the lucky tiger to help sooth, and even that burned in spots.

This morning, however, my skin is free of any leftover irritation, and does not feel sensitive like it would the day after a bad razor burn. Feels pretty good in fact. I will be having an actual, prepped and intentional shave a bit later today.

Lessons Learned: No prep straight shaving is a great way to exfoliate and irritate, but isn't as bad as I had thought it would be. Also, I can apparently absentmindedly shave my entire face without a mirror and not draw any blood, as I didn't cut myself even once. Go figure.

I almost jumped to comment before I finished reading, to ask if you even had a mirror. That's pretty impressive! It looks like muscle memory has been developing pretty well.

I almost jumped to comment before I finished reading, to ask if you even had a mirror. That's pretty impressive! It looks like muscle memory has been developing pretty well.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but my jawline and chin weren't so impressed last night! lol - I figure I got away lucky for an idle / mindless "Oh, crap - I just shaved"!

Shave #46:
Date: 11/01/2018
Soap: WK King of Oud

Barely satisfied with this shave. There are artifacts on the edge of this razor that are now visible naked eye. I need to take it back to the films. Tugging and pulling. I did three passes today, and managed to make this razor give me a SAS to CCS, but with some razor burn. I did avoid any actual cuts today though.

Alum was predictably cranky, but an hour after the shave, you wouldn't know it was so uncomfortable looking at me, so I guess the razor burn could have been a lot worse.

Lessons Learned: Time to re-hone. The other razor is so kind and smooth now after a touchup. I guess its brother got jealous.

Shave #47:
Date: 11/05/2018
Razor: Shell "Real German" 5/8”

Great shave.

After having no time for shaving (barely enough for -quick showers- most days) since Thursday, I am finally back!

I have learned today that the two "trouble areas" around my lower neck have a very difficult grain pattern. I haven't shaved since Thursday, so I was really able to explore the grain in that area. I have hairs that grow E-W and others that grow W-E peppered among one another pretty haphazardly. Worse still, many of each grow very much low angle, along the skin.

Today I also noted that a very sharp razor is smoother and can shave that area closer with less / no irritation. If I am willing to leave the area looking a little 'dirty' I can get away with a less hyper sharp razor, but if I want a real close, clean shave, either a super sharp razor or live with some degree of razor burn.

Which is to say today's razor is quite sharp! No tugging, scraping, or razor burn there!

I did catch my ear with the toe of the razor once. Also in my cross handed pass, I managed a touchdown line while trying to use my left hand. Other than those two spots, this was a great shave.

Two passes, plus some touchups, but only a minimum of "The Stupid Thing" (TM). Pretty much DFS all over, with a nice smooth happy alum application to boot! If I can recreate this level of close and comfortable I won't ever really need to make a third pass - I could wear this shave with a tux and not be ashamed of it!

Lessons Learned: Sharper is smoother. I will need to spend some time with the other razor getting it up to the level this one is now.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Sharper is smoother - I couldn’t agree more and I believe it is key to comfortable shaves. To me, a .1u edge feels like shaving with a butter knife. Whiskers go down with zero resistance and zero razor burn. I consistently get BBS results with two passes. My hands shave my face and I just stand in front of the mirror and watch it happen. What a pleasure it is!

Lessons Learned:
Sharper is smoother. I will need to spend some time with the other razor getting it up to the level this one is now.

Sharper is smoother - I couldn’t agree more and I believe it is key to comfortable shaves.....

Absolutely true, I agree. Perhaps a bit counter intuitive when you're just starting, as we might worry about the skill and super sharp blade, and potentially look for a bit more forgiveness in a way of a slightly less sharp but smooth blade, but yeah, sharpness is the key.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Some "sharper(s) is" are smoother than others. :a29:
I’m finally getting more consistent edges. The more I hone, the more consistent. It isn’t that I’m trying. I just think more habits are forming causing more similar outcomes. I’m beginning to believe thinking is the biggest impediment to straight shaving.

Also fin edges can be exceedingly keen, but fragile, and will become nightmarish in use due to unsupported foil edge breaking and deflecting.

Top Bottom