What's new

Blood makes poor lather

ember: 122364"]Also fin edges can be exceedingly keen, but fragile, and will become nightmarish in use due to unsupported foil edge breaking and deflecting.[/QUOTE]

I had a question about which edges are better and also more durable.

I’ve been trying to learn on that score myself. Over on scienceofsharp.com the author has put a lot of work into that question, using a scanning electron microscope to help identify what is actually happening at the edge of the edge. I am seriously considering converting my second razor completely to one honed using his methodology, which promises edges that are both sharper and keener than feather injector blades, but durable and smooth enough to last.

I’ve been trying to learn on that score myself. Over on scienceofsharp.com the author has put a lot of work into that question, using a scanning electron microscope to help identify what is actually happening at the edge of the edge. I am seriously considering converting my second razor completely to one honed using his methodology, which promises edges that are both sharper and keener than feather injector blades, but durable and smooth enough to last.

Well, let me know what you find out. I am interested in your experiences.

After watching a bunch of videos, what I think I would prefer is a stone/material for touching up an existing bevel/edge that has been set and used for shaving. I am curious if I could just go back to the 5 and 3 micron and do alternating laps as they do with those slurry stones then strop on pasted strops.

Some of the video use Dawn mixed with water on these type stones. So the questions I have are:
1. Can I use the films for touch ups?
2. Will a Arkansas Black/Surgical be a good tool for touch ups?
3. Would a Shapton 12000 be good for touching up?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
1. Sure you can use film for touch ups. Film is just a synthetic like a stone. I have a 12k Nani but much prefer 1u film.

2. Probably but no better than film

3. Yes but no better than film

BTW you wrote that message at 4:45 AM. I can’t stay up that late any more. I’m impressed.

1. Sure you can use film for touch ups. Film is just a synthetic like a stone. I have a 12k Nani but much prefer 1u film.

2. Probably but no better than film

3. Yes but no better than film

BTW you wrote that message at 4:45 AM. I can’t stay up that late any more. I’m impressed.
We need to discuss your 12,000.

So, back and forth strokes rather than as we do the burr method?

Burr method is great for helping you be sure you've set a positive bevel, and that the bevel meets at an actual apex.

If I am touching up a razor that has previously had a good bevel set, it really doesn't need me to raise another burr. Just some back and forth laps on a finishing hone, enough to grind the edge back into proper shape. Depending on what's wrong with it. If I nicked the edge on a faucet, I may have to go all the way back to 600 or 1000 grit, but smaller issues would require less grinding.

Maybe this evening (I gotta get to this sooner rather than later, I hope) I am taking my J&R Dodge razor back to films, but I won't be re setting the bevel. There are some visible artifacts on the edge, but they are too small to see what exactly is causing them. I plan to do 200 laps at about the 4K level to start, then progress from there.

8K, 12K, black or translucent Arkansas, Coticule, Thuringian, lots of different finishing hones - but they are called that for a reason. These are often the last hard abrasive before stropping (with or without an abrasive compound, depending on taste). There is a member here who started a thread not long ago about shaving right off his 8K synthetic. Others really love to shave right off any of these finishers (and a whole host of others for that matter). Sufficient grit of film or synthetic stone should behave as well, and make a fine, keen edge, but may not be the finish some prefer.

Shave #48:
Date: 11/08/2018
Prep: Hot Shower
Soap: WK King of Oud
Brush: SOC Boar
Razor: J&R Dodge Judicato "Prussian Army" 5/8”
A/S: Lucky Tiger

So I took this razor back to 4k and honed it all the way down to 0.1 CBN in balsa. It isn't as hyper sharp as the other razor, but it is quite improved over where it had been, and shaves quite nicely.

I did a third pass today. I originally set out to do my normal 2 plus some touchups, but the lather was just so nice and slick today, and the brush so soft, I ended up lathering my whole face again, and made a third pass.

I did put a minor line in my moustache area during the second pass. Aside from that, I had a nice, relaxing, trouble free shave. Ended up DFS everywhere except the trouble area along the bottom of my neck.

Once the aftershave was on, and I was examining critically the end result, I was displeased with SAS in the trouble area, so I did "The Stupid Thing" (TM) a little down there, and got away with it with no irritation, cuts, or price to pay. Maybe that razor is pretty sharp after all, or maybe the residual slickness from the soap helped.

DFS for the win!

Lessons Learned: I am having a hard time coming up with specifics to learn from each shave. I am certainly improving over time, and can still observe improvement from shave to shave, but that's as much my hands learning as anything else.

Nice shave, sans the racing stripe. DFS for the win!
Thank you!

Racing stripes are to be expected I guess. Very few shaves do I not draw blood somewhere. The ones that bother me the most are the really dumb ones, like the other day when I clipped the top of my ear with the toe. No other cut anywhere on my face, so why'd I have to go and do a fool thing like that for?

Shave #48:
Date: 11/08/2018
Soap: WK King of Oud

So I took this razor back to 4k and honed it all the way down to 0.1 CBN in balsa. It isn't as hyper sharp as the other razor, but it is quite improved over where it had been, and shaves quite nicely.

I did a third pass today. I originally set out to do my normal 2 plus some touchups, but the lather was just so nice and slick today, and the brush so soft, I ended up lathering my whole face again, and made a third pass.

I did put a minor line in my moustache area during the second pass. Aside from that, I had a nice, relaxing, trouble free shave. Ended up DFS everywhere except the trouble area along the bottom of my neck.

Once the aftershave was on, and I was examining critically the end result, I was displeased with SAS in the trouble area, so I did "The Stupid Thing" (TM) a little down there, and got away with it with no irritation, cuts, or price to pay. Maybe that razor is pretty sharp after all, or maybe the residual slickness from the soap helped.

DFS for the win!

Lessons Learned: I am having a hard time coming up with specifics to learn from each shave. I am certainly improving over time, and can still observe improvement from shave to shave, but that's as much my hands learning as anything else.

Sounds like your improving readily. Looking forward to the end of Movember to start up shaving again. I've been washing my face using my shaving brushes lately :)

Shave #49:
Date: 11/11/2018
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
Brush: Omega Boar
Razor: Shell "Real German" 5/8”

What's to say for yesterdays shave? Two passes with some touchups, and it was a Damn Fine Shave!

I am beginning to notice a couple of patterns. First, that second pass is almost as much cross grain as with the grain. It just hits across the grain kind of obliquely - running with/across rather than aggressively across/ into the grain.

Second, there are a few spots where I consistently end up with about a mm or so of stubble after both passes. I can't seem to shave these spots while I have lather on my face - I lather back up and try to touch these areas up, and the hairs are still there. However, if I then rinse lightly, there is usually enough residual slickness for a light touchup, and I can then shave those whiskers pretty well.

So I guess, for the time being, there are a few areas that just call out for "The Stupid Thing" (TM), but fortunately, the skin thereabouts doesn't seem to mind, if I'm careful.

....Second, there are a few spots where I consistently end up with about a mm or so of stubble after both passes. I can't seem to shave these spots while I have lather on my face - I lather back up and try to touch these areas up, and the hairs are still there. However, if I then rinse lightly, there is usually enough residual slickness for a light touchup, and I can then shave those whiskers pretty well.

I have noticed this few times too, but only when my razor needs touch up, if it's as sharp as it should be, nothing's left behind. Maybe this is the same issue you're experiencing?

I have noticed this few times too, but only when my razor needs touch up, if it's as sharp as it should be, nothing's left behind. Maybe this is the same issue you're experiencing?
I suppose it is possible, but I just honed this razor up, and I would have a hard time believing it needs more touchup after just 1 shave.

Today I shaved my face with a DE razor for the first time since picking up straights (that I can remember, there might have been one other, but I don't think so).

I loaded a new Bic blade into my trusty DE89 which I've been shaving my head with on most days. I did my full prep for beard just like I were shaving with a straight. Lathered up with the Wholly Kaw using my SOC boar, and proceeded to shave. I did two face passes with some touchups, just like I do with the straights.

I've noticed some things today. The last thing I noticed is the first I will mention, because it becomes relevant to the rest: This blade makes this razor very very efficient. I've used Feather, Astra, Treet, Van Der Hagen, Voskhod, and Super Irridium blades all for my head, this blade made my head the closest and smoothest shaved it's ever been. In one pass.

Second, learning to shave with a straight has done WONDERS for my safety razor technique. It was a lot easier than I remember it being.

Third, while quicker than the safety razor, it is still a little more ham fisted of a tool, especially for the big flat zones like cheeks.

Fourth, in some spots, the blade being at a plane that is not on the plane of the handle really is super handy.

Finally, the end product; About as close as I have gotten used to for my straight razor shaves. Two nicks that bled. Slightly more burn with alum, and slightly less comfortable post shave than with the straight razor shave I have grown accustomed to. I would say this shave was 95% of the shave I've gotten used to with straights.

I have fewer than 50 straight razor shaves. To me that means in another 50 shaves, while my learning curve hasn't really planed out yet, I will continue to grow and learn. This implies that at 100 shaves I should be able to reliably get a closer and more comfortable shave than I can with a DE89 loaded with a fresh Bic blade.

Last edited:
Shave #50:
Date: 11/14/2018
Soap: Arko

Half way there !!! WOOT!

Todays shave was a disappointment all things considered. This razor still isn't cutting like it used to / like its brother does / like it should...

With discipline and patience, I was able to convince it to give me a SAS / CCS with no burn and only miniscule blood. Alum was relatively kind too, more so than I thought it would be.

Gonna have to take this razor all the way back to 1000 grit and raise a burr - that's the only way to be absolutely sure.

Shave #51:
Date: 11/16/2018
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood

Pretty good overall experience today. I did slice into my chin. It was the oddest cut, I was touching up using the toe, and I just watched as the toe slid under the skin. Looked worse than it bled.

Typical two passes, but very minimal touchups. Pretty good CCS over most of my face, with some spots of DFS. Happy mr. Alum, so I'll take it.

Still feeling my technique evolve and improve.

Shave #52:
Date: 11/19/2018
Soap: Wholly Kaw King of Oud

Yes indeed!

Everything came together tonight. I just finished honing up this razor from 1000 grit to correct its mysteriously sub par performance. Super glad I did, she shaves so smooth now!

This soap really performs too, man! Wowzah!

One pass shave with minimal touchups, and I am feeling fine. borderline SAS to CCS with no irritation, and the Alum might as well have been granite for all the feedback it didn't give me! For the quality of shave, it took much less time than I would have thought.

If I could have this shave every day for the rest of my life, I'd be a happy shaver till the end!

Shave #53:
Date: 11/21/2018

Not a bad shave if I do say so myself.

I am starting to expect good shaves each time I get in front of the mirror. That's a pretty nice place to be.

I did slice myself right at the septum of my right nostril. I did that attempting the fool's pass.

Also managed to get away with "The Stupid Thing" (TM) more than usual today. I did two passes, but all with my right hand. The second pass was aggressively into/cross grain.

Border of DFS and BBS today, more DFS but with a couple of BBS spots. No real irritation or burn, and minimal, but present feedback from alum.

Shave #53:
Date: 11/21/2018

Not a bad shave if I do say so myself.

I am starting to expect good shaves each time I get in front of the mirror. That's a pretty nice place to be.

I did slice myself right at the septum of my right nostril. I did that attempting the fool's pass.

Also managed to get away with "The Stupid Thing" (TM) more than usual today. I did two passes, but all with my right hand. The second pass was aggressively into/cross grain.

Border of DFS and BBS today, more DFS but with a couple of BBS spots. No real irritation or burn, and minimal, but present feedback from alum.

Fool's Pass? I am guessing ATG on the upper lip, based upon what you cut.

Top Bottom