What's new

Blades you like that doesn't get much love

I probably will stir up much controversy with this topic. We feel very much attachment to our favorite blades and have some, should I say, non-savory feelings towards other blades. I think it is time for a thread that shines some well deserved light and love on the blades that may not be favored, in general, here on B&B, but that you like and use. I guess you could call this thread the ultimate YMMV thread.

I will start us off with my two blades that stirs up people's feeling. Behold the mighty Derby Extra and the Dorco ST300. I actually like these blades and they both give me ~5 good proper shaves. They are not the sharpest in the bunch, but they certainly does the job for me. They are comfortable and very affordable blades. I have a pack of 100 of each of these blades and they are in my regular rotation.

I don't have any blades that are dislike per se but a couple that don't get mentioned as often.
Treet Platinums and Rapira swedish supersteel are both regulars for me. The Treets will probably become my main blade once I run through my other packs.

I have several hundred Rapira as they were on sale for 9$/100 over the winter. I use 100-150 a year.

I like the Supermax Super Stainless blades (blue packaging, sold per 200), they are sharp enough and smooth for me and i get about 5 to 7 good comfy shaves, sometimes even 8 to 9.

I also like the Dorco ST301 blade, very smooth and also 5 up to 9 good shaves from them. The Derby Extras are not bad at all for me, about 4 to 5 good shaves (i largely prefer the Derby Premiums, a lot smoother and 6 to 10 good shaves from these for me).

Another blade worth mentioning for me is the Shark Super Stainless, about 5 good shaves but then they are not sharp enough anymore for me (the Super Chrome Sharks are mostly too tuggy for me, not sharp enough i guess).

YMMV ...

Willy's!

Sharp, comfortable and extremely durable! I cannot recall ever to have cut myself with a Willy's, never caused any weepers. I shave 3 times/week and change my blade less than once a month. I have a very high standard of finish. I want super smooth. Willy's gives me that! Better than Wizamets (They cause me slight weepers every time from the 3rd shave).

Willy's!

Sharp, comfortable and extremely durable! I cannot recall ever to have cut myself with a Willy's, never caused any weepers. I shave 3 times/week and change my blade less than once a month. I have a very high standard of finish. I want super smooth. Willy's gives me that! Better than Wizamets (They cause me slight weepers every time from the 3rd shave).
Willy's? Wilkinson's? If so which one?

I don't have any blades that are dislike per se but a couple that don't get mentioned as often.
Treet Platinums and Rapira swedish supersteel are both regulars for me. The Treets will probably become my main blade once I run through my other packs.

I have several hundred Rapira as they were on sale for 9$/100 over the winter. I use 100-150 a year.
I have not tried the Treet Platinum yet but I am looking forward to it and also it's brother Treet 7 days

I like the Supermax Super Stainless blades (blue packaging, sold per 200), they are sharp enough and smooth for me and i get about 5 to 7 good comfy shaves, sometimes even 8 to 9.

I also like the Dorco ST301 blade, very smooth and also 5 up to 9 good shaves from them. The Derby Extras are not bad at all for me, about 4 to 5 good shaves (i largely prefer the Derby Premiums, a lot smoother and 6 to 10 good shaves from these for me).

Another blade worth mentioning for me is the Shark Super Stainless, about 5 good shaves but then they are not sharp enough anymore for me (the Super Chrome Sharks are mostly too tuggy for me, not sharp enough i guess).

YMMV ...
I tried the Shark SS myself and yes I can get 5 shaves from them as well, but they feel a but rough to me. Seems like you had the similar experience.

I have not tried the Treet Platinum yet but I am looking forward to it and also it's brother Treet 7 days
The Treet Platinums are not crazy sharp but are nice and smooth. I noticed them leaving a bit behind after about 7 shaves...stayed smooth the whole time. I have taken to changing blades after 3 shaves regardless of the brand...just because.
For me here in Ontario they are one of the most affordable blades. Rivaled by Lord which I haven't tried.

The Treet Platinums are not crazy sharp but are nice and smooth. I noticed them leaving a bit behind after about 7 shaves...stayed smooth the whole time. I have taken to changing blades after 3 shaves regardless of the brand...just because.
For me here in Ontario they are one of the most affordable blades. Rivaled by Lord which I haven't tried.
Definitely will try them out 👍

Willy's!

I did look them up. Yes that is definitely a blade that does not get much love around here :thumbup1:

bic chrome platinum

Yes, indeed. Although, I wouldn't necessarily say that the CP is undervalued so much as opinion is rather...polarized.

It certainly has it share of passionate defenders, including myself. However, there are just as many that regard it as the Devil's own steel. Folks in the middle seem to be in short supply. ;)

I think that the differing experience with the same blade is very interesting. We have all different skin, shapes and whiskers so I guess it should not come as any surprise that we have differing opinions regarding blades. I think however that the razor/blade combo is also important. Some razors works well with certain blades while others do not. Lastly I think our level of proficiency and/or shave style comes into play as well. I know that for myself being a new wet shaver. I can now use many more blades to shave with, and be fine with, than what I used to.

Astra SP..... :biggrin::letterk1:
Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

I think that the differing experience with the same blade is very interesting. We have all different skin, shapes and whiskers so I guess it should not come as any surprise that we have differing opinions regarding blades. I think however that the razor/blade combo is also important. Some razors works well with certain blades while others do not. Lastly I think our level of proficiency and/or shave style comes into play as well. I know that for myself being a new wet shaver. I can now use many more blades to shave with, and be fine with, than what I used to.
Yep. Absolutely agree.

Top Bottom