What's new

Blade rusted in razor

I recently was generously piffed a SE razor with a few blades to try. I used the first blade 2 times, and when I went for shave #3, I noticed the blade looked strange. I pulled the blade and found rust on the blade. Is this normal for a SE blade that is not dried between uses?

As far as i know it is a stainless blade, and the razor had no rust on it.

Any ideas?

Probably a carbon steel blade.
I don't know how to tell the difference from a carbon to a stainless other than leaving it wet :)

Well it's an electron thing. If you wipe it off , palm strop and place on a magnet after use, it doesn't provide the easy pathways to oxidation.

Yes, a little oil and a pyramid helps too(;-)

You might try a couple of blasts from WD 40. That should remove the water and leave a fine water resistant coating.

I use it successfully with my Rolls Razor on those parts that are prone to rust.

Mickey

I've never had a stainless blade rust in an injector, but I have seen rusted carbon steel blades. I think yours is a carbon. Get some modern Schick or Personna blades.

All razor blades tend to rust if you leave them in a razor too long. Stainless is to be interpreted as "stains less". All steel rust. Some blades rust faster than other. On of my very favorite blades Voskhod rusted for me in a matter of days, not once but twice. After that I always take every blade, no matter what brand, out of the razor if I´m not to use the razor the following day. I like my razors and razorblades are comparatively cheap.:001_smile

All razor blades tend to rust if you leave them in a razor too long. Stainless is to be interpreted as "stains less". All steel rust. Some blades rust faster than other. On of my very favorite blades Voskhod rusted for me in a matter of days, not once but twice. After that I always take every blade, no matter what brand, out of the razor if I´m not to use the razor the following day. I like my razors and razorblades are comparatively cheap.:001_smile

Never had a GEM PTFE SS show rust in a razor yet. Neither do my Personna 74s or Chick blades in the injectors.
The SE carbon steels will rust if you breathe on 'em.......

Congrats. I have some of the 009 carbon steels and they don't cut it (literally) for me. I need to get some PTFE's.

I use a DE for touch ups. After using I plan strop the blade, rinse and dry it on tissue paper and please on a small magnet until the next use. Blades I'm using are stainless, having no rust problems.

I've found the GEM PTFE SE coated stainless blades to work the best for me :yesnod:

proxy.php

Top Bottom