What's new

Blade recommendation for my 1951 SS

So, I recieved my 51 today and tried my first shave with a feather...I love Feathers in my other razors(34D and Ej89L)...For some reason, I was not pleased with the combo....Any recs for the 51?

I don't think you could go wrong with the Shark Super Chromium or an Israeli Personna. Both cheap and readily available. Great John Dillinger avatar.

Doesn't work that way, friend. Any recommendations you receive here will just be essentially random lists of "blades that exist", one person's experience has no bearing at all on your experience with a given brand. In fact, you'll get as many votes against as for any given blade. There's no shortcuts around getting a sample pack and experimenting for yourself.

Amen!!!!! It is good to have an idea to perhaps "narrow" the choices a bit but there is no substitute for personal experimentation.

Al raz.

Doesn't work that way, friend. Any recommendations you receive here will just be essentially random lists of "blades that exist", one person's experience has no bearing at all on your experience with a given brand. In fact, you'll get as many votes against as for any given blade. There's no shortcuts around getting a sample pack and experimenting for yourself.

So, I recieved my 51 today and tried my first shave with a feather...I love Feathers in my other razors(34D and Ej89L)...For some reason, I was not pleased with the combo....Any recs for the 51?

I can't imagine a 40's style SS carrying a Feather much differently than your modern razors. My thoughts are you just haven't gotten to know that old girl well enough yet, and when you do she may become your best girl.

Personally, I never thought feathers were smooth enough to use on a daily basis. I do like to use them for a change up in the rotation, in fact, I'll try that combo tomorrow. I do use a 40's style frequently and my latest wow wow has been loading vintage platinums or Russian coated blades into one. As the above guys have said - experimentation is the key and the real fun of it all.

I would try a sample pack that would include Astra SP, Gillette 7 o'clock(yellows), Personna, Derby, and the Sharks are not bad really ( for me at least ). I excluded Feather since you mentioned you did not care for them in that razor.

Thanks for the suggestions...I have some sample packs. Tried another today. Astra SP. 0-2. I dont think its a technique issue as I have no issues w/ other razors. Its the ATG that kills me...WTG and XTG are fine.

With all due respect, if you can't successfully do ATG, then don't do ATG!
Is it better to have a torn up face or a slightly less than perfectly close shave?

@Go West Young Man: With all due respect, your response(s) are a little....rude. Your first response "Doesn't work that way, friend. Any recommendations you receive here will just be essentially random lists of "blades that exist", one person's experience has no bearing at all on your experience with a given brand. In fact, you'll get as many votes against as for any given blade. There's no shortcuts around getting a sample pack and experimenting for yourself." was a little uncalled for... This is a forum, correct? I was simply just inquiring if people have had better success with other blades. Your reply could go for 90% of whats on this forum....
Your second response had no grounds.....If you read my first posts, you would know that I have no issues with my other razor/blade combos....
Im not a confrontational guy, I just think your comments are counter productive.

Last edited:
I apologize for not properly articulating my comments, no offense intended!
But the fact remains that a) of course people have had success with other blades in that razor, otherwise that razor wouldn't still be used today, and b) the fact that User X had good results with Blade Y gives you absolutely no useful information.

If you had asked for a list of blades that exhibited specific characteristics or compared to your existing blades in certain ways, we could help you out. But when you ask what blades have worked in a given razor, the only valid response is "all of them, at different times for different people.:

I find the Feathers just too damn sharp at the start and not all that great once they're worn in a few shaves, but many people swear by them. I've been using Gillette Super Thins in my '49 SS for a few years and really like them. They're evidently more popular in Asia than here. I get mine through eBay from a seller whose handle is dridiot. I didn't see them in his current listings, but he may still offer them and you might want to contact him through eBay. In the meantime, if you'd like to try a super thin, just PM me your mailing address and I'll send you one.

I apologize for not properly articulating my comments, no offense intended!
But the fact remains that a) of course people have had success with other blades in that razor, otherwise that razor wouldn't still be used today, and b) the fact that User X had good results with Blade Y gives you absolutely no useful information.

If you had asked for a list of blades that exhibited specific characteristics or compared to your existing blades in certain ways, we could help you out. But when you ask what blades have worked in a given razor, the only valid response is "all of them, at different times for different people.:

All good GWYM. :wink2: I think regardless of how I asked the question, you are correct, I will get 20 different answers...But I still enjoy reading other users opinions.

Top Bottom