What's new

Blade help! I've only used feather

So I've been using different blades in the Merkur 34C to try and dial in which blades I like the best. So far I've tried Gillette Silver blue, 7 o'clock black, Astra SP, Personna stainless, PolSilver, and Voshkod. My favorite by far is the Astra SP. Next, I think would be the PolSilver. I'm in no way finished testing but I think for me the Astra are perfect they feel great. However, this morning I tried my new found favorite Astra in my Feather AS-D2 and I hated it. I can't help but feel that its the angle necessary for the razor that is messing me up. Because of the tiny blade gap, there is a very specific angle that you must use it at and I don't think that angle is right for me. On the ATG pass and even with some of the XTG passes the blade does this harsh tugging thing on my stubble. Like I said before the Astras in a 34C feel amazing. I'm gonna give the AS-D2 a few more tries with some smoother blades and see if it helps, but, I'm not hopeful. As soon as I hit my 45-day mark you'll likely see the Feather AS-D2 up for trade. I really want to try out one of those beautiful timeless razors or a quality straight.

So I've been using different blades in the Merkur 34C to try and dial in which blades I like the best. So far I've tried Gillette Silver blue, 7 o'clock black, Astra SP, Personna stainless, PolSilver, and Voshkod. My favorite by far is the Astra SP. Next, I think would be the PolSilver. I'm in no way finished testing but I think for me the Astra are perfect they feel great. However, this morning I tried my new found favorite Astra in my Feather AS-D2 and I hated it. I can't help but feel that its the angle necessary for the razor that is messing me up. Because of the tiny blade gap, there is a very specific angle that you must use it at and I don't think that angle is right for me. On the ATG pass and even with some of the XTG passes the blade does this harsh tugging thing on my stubble. Like I said before the Astras in a 34C feel amazing. I'm gonna give the AS-D2 a few more tries with some smoother blades and see if it helps, but, I'm not hopeful. As soon as I hit my 45-day mark you'll likely see the Feather AS-D2 up for trade. I really want to try out one of those beautiful timeless razors or a quality straight.

ymmv always and forever.

I have tried a number of razors and over 30 blades with great care. I have a slim and a British vintage tech both of which are good razors bought to try to solve my dilemma - yet the razor and blade that work for me best are a dirt cheap rimei and an equally dirt cheap shark stainless blade. (which by amazing coincidence happen to be the first blade and first razor I ever tried out).

Sgt. I am new to wet shaving, making the journey from electrics. I'm a quick learner and am serially obsessive about hobbies, and really impatient. I've been trying a bunch of stuff and sometimes even shaving twice per day-(see impatience comment above). Reading your posts, I have exoerienced much the same things.

Early on in my journey I got an 'adjustable' razor-the Rockwell 6S, which adjusts by using different bottom plates. This came after a 34C, which worked ok for me. Fairly quickly settled on plate 4 and Polsilver, which were giving me a pretty smooth 3-pass shave, with no nicks, weepers or irritation.

So what did I do? Well, I was curious about what else was out there, and attempted to fix what wasn't broke. dumb, huh? I bought a more aggressive razor, and an AS-D2. Like you, I've come to the conclusion that the D2 isn't for me, and the more aggressive razor was a bit too demanding for my technique, patience level...., but it did show me what a super-smooth, long-lasting shave was like. But, any lapse of technique left me nicked or irritated. I felt shaving was more scary than something to look forward to.

So, just for science, I grabbed the 6S mid-shave, and rediscovered an effortless, smooth, pain-free shave. And, I still have 2 more levels of aggressive to try. Prep matters, soap/lotion matters, and I also found that a blade could feel totally different from razor to razor. I'm glad I've tried all this stuff, as there is no substitute for experience, and people on these forums have been really helpful. Find which people's findings match your own, and then you can count on their advise a beiing relevant to you, specifically. Do, however, take seriously any advice regarding slowing down, focussing on technique, and giving things more than one chance before moving on.

Follow your bliss, and do what makes you happy!

Also-Thanks for your service.

Top Bottom