What's new

Blackbird or Dart?

Blackbird is more aggressive.

They both are beautiful.

My machined Dart could be used by me every day, once I realized that bringing the handle closer to my face made it a little less aggressive. Before that, I was about to have to send it back.

But I could not use my blackbird everyday.

Also, the polished version of the Dart was more aggressive than the machined one, though the polished was gorgeous.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Blackbird is more aggressive.

They both are beautiful.

My machined Dart could be used by me every day, once I realized that bringing the handle closer to my face made it a little less aggressive. Before that, I was about to have to send it back.

But I could not use my blackbird everyday.

Also, the polished version of the Dart was more aggressive than the machined one, though the polished was gorgeous.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
I found the Dart to have more blade feel. With the OC Blackbird I felt more teeth than blade.

That is the question. Which is nobler in the minds of men that have used both?

Tough question. Which razors do you currently enjoy? I have a Blackbird and love it, it's a top 3 razor for me. I had a Dart and really enjoyed it, probably a top 6 or 8 razors, but had to sell it for funds for another purchase (chose between the Dart and Blackbird).

The Blackbird is a bit more aggressive whereas the Dart can be tamer. However both have blade feel.

PS. Blackland is having a good sale right now, 18% off or so. Buy both?

Kept my Dart. Gave my Jet to my son.

Gave your son a Jet?!?! Want another 34 year old son?

I had the opposite experience. I couldn't get along with the Dart, but the Blackbird is 2nd only to my CG level 3 in my book.

Dart. Sold the Bird. Bird tugged ATG on my head, Dart's rigid design wins.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Blackbird is my vote, top 3 razor for me. I have no problem ATG and it is not tuggy at all for me. I use sharp blades with the Blackbird usually Nacet or GSB.

Thanks everyone. Seems this question is not much more settled than it was in the posts from last year. I’m going with the Dart. Some reviewers have indicated that its shave is similar to the Mühle Rocca (this is one of my favorite razors), but with more blade rigidity (not that this is a make or break issue for me, but all things being equal greater rigidity is more comfortable).

Thanks @ShavingPanda for the standard B&B suggestion! .

The Blackbird is not for everyone. I find it to be a great every day razor. It takes a little more time, but it's totally worth it. I had used my GameChanger (which I love) for the past 10 days straight. I picked up my Blackbird for my last shave and the results were so much better than the GC. My face is left incredibly smooth. I've not been able to achieve that type of smoothness with any other razor. Not GameChanger, Karve, ATT or Timeless. I seriously cannot praise the Blackbird OC enough.

I think the standard B&B suggestion of buying both isn't such a bad idea in this case. I have a Dart and it's one of my very favorite razors. For me, it has much more blade feel than a Muhle R41. But both razors are very smooth and enjoyable, and they both provide great shaves. The way the Dart feels for me is quite different than the way people have described the Dart feeling for them. To me, that means people's comparisons of the Blackbird and the Dart probably won't apply to my face. The only way I'll know if the Blackbird is better for me is to buy one and do my own comparison.

If you get the Dart, be sure to try different blades in it before you make up your mind on the razor. I've found some of the blades that I normally like, I'm not fond of them at all in the Dart. And I've also found some blades that I normally think are just OK in other razors are really nice in the Dart.

I have the polished Dart and machined Blackbird. The Dart is just slightly less aggressive than the Blackbird, but love them both. I'm finding I'm using the Blackbird more than my 3 Gamechangers (2 .84P's, and 1 JAWS), Karve, Timeless, or any of my other razors. It does take a bit more time and care, but the results are exceptional with either Blackland razors. I have a Saber on the way to try out, too.

Blackbird is my vote, top 3 razor for me. I have no problem ATG and it is not tuggy at all for me. I use sharp blades with the Blackbird usually Nacet or GSB.
I've gathered most folks don't need the rigidity the Dart offers over the Bird, and the tugging issue is not present on my beard, only on my much tougher head stubble. I would have kept the Bird if I didn't want to shave my head with it.

I have the polished Dart and machined Blackbird. The Dart is just slightly less aggressive than the Blackbird, but love them both. I'm finding I'm using the Blackbird more than my 3 Gamechangers (2 .84P's, and 1 JAWS), Karve, Timeless, or any of my other razors. It does take a bit more time and care, but the results are exceptional with either Blackland razors. I have a Saber on the way to try out, too.

You’ll enjoy the Sabre. I have the level 2 and it’s a great razor. Great shave and very well built instrument. I’m not one to focus on “art” as the shave is what is most important. But it’s just a pleasure to hold in the hand and use. Does the Dart have that quality when compared with the Blackbird?

Is your Blackbird the safety bar or open comb base plate model?

Kept the Dart, sold the Bird.

The Dart has more blade feel, but strangely enough is slightly less aggressive... i don't really understand why

The Dart is also more maneuverable and has a way better handle/grip/balance ... all in my opinion of course

A new Dart (especially with a coupon code bringing the price down to like $85) is arguably the best stainless razor deal out there (along with the Razorock Gamechanger).

I've gathered most folks don't need the rigidity the Dart offers over the Bird, and the tugging issue is not present on my beard, only on my much tougher head stubble. I would have kept the Bird if I didn't want to shave my head with it.

Look at post #13 again & you'll notice
That all of his razors that the Blackbird
Has knocked out of rotation have the
Super Rigidity design. As for me I can
Definitely do without the Rigidity, but if
I'm trying to choose between razors and
All the other criteria required for my
Decision is Either equal or negligible
Then I'll take a Rigid design over the
Non rigid one. That being said I think
It's the group of Rigidity Fanatics on
The forums that Distort the actual
Importance level of blade Rigidity which
In the big picture is rather small.

Look at post #13 again & you'll notice
That all of his razors that the Blackbird
Has knocked out of rotation have the
Super Rigidity design. As for me I can
Definitely do without the Rigidity, but if
I'm trying to choose between razors and
All the other criteria required for my
Decision is Either equal or negligible
Then I'll take a Rigid design over the
Non rigid one. That being said I think
It's the group of Rigidity Fanatics on
The forums that Distort the actual
Importance level of blade Rigidity which
In the big picture is rather small.
I'm not judging by some abstract concept of rigidity but about how performance is on my head. Rigidity is one factor in affecting that performance, certainly not the only one. That rigidity is a small factor for you is just great for you [emoji16]. I don't believe anyone here should be projecting their own experience into some kind of universal, me included. And in defense of the Rigidistas I don't think they are doing that. Spoken as someone who loves his Wardonia, rigidity be damned.

Last edited:
I have both in safety bar and generally the Dart (machined) gets more use than the Blackbird (machined brass). Both are very efficient, neither causes me irritation, but the Dart seems to be slightly more comfortable to my face. I recently picked up a Game Changer .84 (safety bar also). While it only seeing limited use so far, it seems to provide me with an efficient and comfortable shave, however not as long lasting as either Blackbird.

Top Bottom