What's new

Black Beauty in the wild!

Found in the wild today while with the wife. Gillette Super 84 with a “P2” date stamp. Been keeping an eye open for one of these for about 5 years now and came across it today. Now for the clean up!

Attachments

• E6950DA4-0BFA-4660-B4F6-9BBE1E689669.jpeg
    E6950DA4-0BFA-4660-B4F6-9BBE1E689669.jpeg
    525.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 55DE2CD2-B07D-4035-9FB5-9D72E2D3676C.jpeg
    55DE2CD2-B07D-4035-9FB5-9D72E2D3676C.jpeg
    491.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 6CCA35F1-46C3-468F-A5A3-E35C97D35A0B.jpeg
    6CCA35F1-46C3-468F-A5A3-E35C97D35A0B.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 39

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Found in the wild today while with the wife. Gillette Super 84 with a “P2” date stamp. Been keeping an eye open for one of these for about 5 years now and came across it today. Now for the clean up!

If I am not mistaken, that looks like a butterfly razor, correct? I believe you when you say that you found that in the wild, cause it sure looks like its been having out with the trees in the forest for awhile. You should send that into Gillette to get professionally re-plated. I believe Gillette charges 50 dollars to do a re-plating job. It would be a good idea to do, cause that is like an antique is it not? That means it should have collectors value, which will go up considerably once its re-plated.

Lovely find! :)

If I am not mistaken, that looks like a butterfly razor, correct? I believe you when you say that you found that in the wild, cause it sure looks like its been having out with the trees in the forest for awhile. You should send that into Gillette to get professionally re-plated. I believe Gillette charges 50 dollars to do a re-plating job. It would be a good idea to do, cause that is like an antique is it not? That means it should have collectors value, which will go up considerably once its re-plated.

Bad advice. I’m not sure Gillette offers a re-plating service, but even if they do spending money to re-plate a common, mass produced vintage razor is not going to increase its “collectors value”. Back Roads Gold charges $65 per razor and won’t even do Super Adjustables. Re-plating actual collector razors like Double Rings and Toggles would probably detract from their value.

Some may spend the money just because they want a razor to look brand new, but this one looks to be in good shape. P2 means it was built in the second quarter of 1970.

Countless vintage razors are purchased every year from antique stores, thrift stores, estate sales and online and all most of the buyers do is clean them and maybe use some metal polish to shine them up.

OP, nice razor and it’s fun finding them in the wild.

By “butterfly” are you referring to how the doors open? If so, then I would say yes. Not interested in getting it looking brand new though and I don’t get them looking to raise their value. I just enjoy shaving and playing around with them. I never sell but will give away instead. I prefer the aged look in my razors. I will definitely clean her up well though. Can’t wait to take her for a test drive!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
By “butterfly” are you referring to how the doors open? If so, then I would say yes. Not interested in getting it looking brand new though and I don’t get them looking to raise their value. I just enjoy shaving and playing around with them. I never sell but will give away instead. I prefer the aged look in my razors. I will definitely clean her up well though. Can’t wait to take her for a test drive!

Yes, last time I heard, people on this site were calling razors with doors butterfly razors. But if you say, open the pod bay doors Hal, and the doors won't open, put some WD-40 on it, maybe they will open. HEHE.

Yep, I've heard some folks on here like the patina of the older razors, thats cool. Just makes sure you put a new blade in there for that test drive. Also, hope you have had your tetness shot recently too just incase. I wish you good luck, many happy shaves with it too!

Yes, last time I heard, people on this site were calling razors with doors butterfly razors. But if you say, open the pod bay doors Hal, and the doors won't open, put some WD-40 on it, maybe they will open. HEHE.

Yep, I've heard some folks on here like the patina of the older razors, thats cool. Just makes sure you put a new blade in there for that test drive. Also, hope you have had your tetness shot recently too just incase. I wish you good luck, many happy shaves with it too!
Ha! Will definitely clean and disinfect before using the first time and slap a new blade it! Seems fully functional so far but what do I know? Never used a adjustable before.

Haven’t been on here for awhile and couldn’t recall if butterfly referred to the doors or not. Stopped shaving a year and a half ago after retiring from the Marines but finally got rid of the retirement beard last week. When I happened across this yesterday it was as if the shaving gods were saying “welcome back, here is your reward”!

Good looking razor, that will clean up well!!! I use Scrubbing Bubbles without bleach, spray it on to coat the razor, let it set for 15-20 minutes scrub with an old toothbrush. I put a couple drops of oil down the top of the base plate. Before I use it for the first time I wipe with one of those pre-moistened lens cleaning wipes and you are good to go!!!

Tom

Top Bottom