What's new

Black Ark $66 vs $289?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A Convex Norton White Translucent 8x3 is on the way to me.

How much $$$ did that set you back...Curious to see how the convex trans white works out for you.

proxy.php

I paid Jarrod $159 for it.

My flat Norton Hard Translucent Arkansas in the same size cost me a little under $100. Mine came from the eBay hardware store vendor (which only sometimes has them). Sharpening Supplies currently sells theirs (which are not always available) for $160.

I've long been aware that I prefer using my flat Norton translucent to using my flat Hard Black Ark (which came from Sharpening Supplies but was mined by Dan's). I don't believe the white translucents offer extra sharpening power, but I find my flat white more enjoyable to use than its black brother. The feel is different.

Knowing that, I was easily tempted by the convex Norton (one).

upload_2019-7-21_10-2-58.png

Like you I'm curious to find out how it works out for me and my edges.

There are other stones I wouldn't mind trying but none of them are available in a convex form. I do not see myself using finishing stones other than convex finishing stones anytime soon, maybe probably never. According to my understanding of what Jarrod's up to with his stone testing I wouldn't be surprised if the convex Norton I bought is the only one he sells. Not that I'm privy to his thoughts and plans.

Happy shaves,

Jim

it’s interesting to me that you guys all prefer the white Trans stones, I saw the difference in feedback but I always thought my hard blacks had the very gentle gritty feedback I wanted and the trans stones felt muted and muddy to me... it just goes to show different strokes for different folks.

If your new convex trans ark is a vintage norton, I think you’ll be very pleased.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
it’s interesting to me that you guys all prefer the white Trans stones, I saw the difference in feedback but I always thought my hard blacks had the very gentle gritty feedback I wanted and the trans stones felt muted and muddy to me... it just goes to show different strokes for different folks.

If your new convex trans ark is a vintage norton, I think you’ll be very pleased.

It's a vintage Modern Norton. I think it's just like the Norton I have but convex.

Top Bottom