What's new

My Journey Into Black Arkansas

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It was previously suggested in this thread that I should try finishing on the HBA with oil. I bought some scentless baby oil but was reluctant to apply it to my HBA. I was worried that, if I didn't like the result, I could have difficulty in getting the oil out of the stone. I decided to look for some soluble oil.

Soluble oil is not easy for me to source in small quantities. This morning I found a friend who was willing to give me about 50ml of his soluble oil. It was gratefully received and to be faithfully applied.

I mixed up a batch of 6% oil to 94% water. My shaving schedule is full for this week so next week I will refish one of my HBA edges using soluble oil and see how it shaves.

Mineral oil will not get into a hard Arkansas if removed after honing using dishwashing liquid like Dawn.

Because there is no standard terminology for Arks, by hard I mean what Norton used to describe their hard black and hard translucent Arks, not what some sellers use to describe softer stone.

To be sure, test with a tiny amount of oil on one spot.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Mineral oil will not get into a hard Arkansas if removed after honing using dishwashing liquid like Dawn.

Because there is no standard terminology for Arks, by hard I mean what Norton used to describe their hard black and hard translucent Arks, not what some sellers use to describe softer stone.

To be sure, test with a tiny amount of oil on one spot.
This week my shaving schedule is fully booked with three passes twice a day. I am hoping to get back to a HBA edge next week some time.

If the soluble oil shows improvement, I might then consider taking up your suggestion on using baby (mineral) oil.

I may be a slow learner but I do learn.

This week my shaving schedule is fully booked with three passes twice a day. I am hoping to get back to a HBA edge next week some time.

If the soluble oil shows improvement, I might then consider taking up your suggestion on using baby (mineral) oil.

I may be a slow learner but I do lea
Mineral oil is baby oil without the fragrance. You can purchase it cheaply at Tractor Supply.

Top Bottom