What's new

Bismarck 406 razor

Yesterday, I went to Snohomish, WA and, while I was there, cruised the numerous antique shops in the historic district looking in particular for straight razors. I viewed several, inspecting each with my 15x loup hand-held magnifier.

Finally, I settled on one razor which I purchased for $10. It was about the cheapest of the lot which I examined and far from the prettiest (see photo).

The following is inscribed on the shank:

"Bismarck Razor Works
Solingen - Germany"

On the other side of the shank the number "406" is imprinted and, further, the word "Registered" (in all caps) appears on the tang.

It is full hollow ground, with a spiked point. The cutting edge, under inspection, showed no nicks, dings, cracks, or other obvious problems.

Scales have no markings and I think they are not original judging from some work on the pivot pin.

It came in a box, though there is no evidence that the box and razor were originally mated. The writing on the box reads: "Extra Hollow Ground - Fully Warrented" and "Price $3.00".

Upon arriving back home, I did some 'Net research in order to see if I might discover some additional information about my new razor. If my 'Net research can be believed, the "Bismarck Razor Works" company operated from about 1900 to about 1930. This razor, with the English language imprinting, was evidently made for the export market.

In part, I purchased the razor in order to try my hand at a restore. I have watched the restoration video on this sub-forum (by "undream", I believe), but rather than a grinding wheel, I will try with some steel wool, starting with grade #3 or maybe #2 and then working to finer and finer grades from there. Comments or questions would be much appreciated.

Perhaps it's not quite appropriate to reply to one's own posting, but I feel I should at least come back to state the following in view of my earlier stated intentions regarding this restore:

Do not use steel wool (I'm probably reinventing the wheel with this insight). I started with grade #3 (coarse) which was stated on the packaging to "remove rust and dirt from garden tools and machinery". What I found was that it was badly scratching the blade and, for all that, was not very effective at removing the rust spots where they existed. It did remove the surface crud and showed that the two spots (see photo) in the corner between the stabalizing piece and the back were actually rust spots. The steel wool had trouble removing the rust, but when I switched to 220 grit wet / dry sandpaper, the rust spots came off quite easily.

Near the end of the blade, there is a largish area of pitting. This alone would probably rule this piece out as a restore candidate. Certainly, without removing the pitting (doubtful as it is pretty deep and this is full hollow ground), it would be cosmetically flawed. The pitting does not affect the very edge, however, so it may still hone up to be a good shaver.

However, it is rather narrow (a 4/8 at best) so I'm guessing that the edge has probably been ground back significantly from its original. Whether it can ever be a good shaver, if that is the case, depends on the care with which this grinding was done. If not done properly, the temper may have been lost on the blade.

I purchased the razor as a practice piece for learning restoration procedures and it is probably almost ideal for that purpose as there would be no chance of ruining a museum piece while learning the techniques.

The 220 grit paper removed the surface crud and rust spots as well as cleaned up the discoloration (patina, staining). I will finish up with wet / dray sandpaper, probably in grades 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000, and then several applications of MAAS.

However, it is rather narrow (a 4/8 at best) so I'm guessing that the edge has probably been ground back significantly from its original. Whether it can ever be a good shaver, if that is the case, depends on the care with which this grinding was done. If not done properly, the temper may have been lost on the blade

To my (untrained) eye it looks in proportion, so it may well have started life as a 4/8 :001_smile

Top Bottom