What's new

BigD's Arko Shave Stick Review

20190323_172712[1].jpg
20190323_172747[1].jpg

I was debating with myself whether or not to do this review. The Derby Shave Stick and this product are so close that I am not wondering if they are made in the same factory. I figured since I have so many times referred to this product in my Derby Shave Stick review I should post this. I do hope you enjoy the review. Be warned, this review is extremely close to my Derby Shave Stick review that, with few exceptions, it may just be prudent to scroll down to the bottom of the text for my comments.

So Continuing my shave soap and cream reviews;

This is my review of the Arko Shave Stick. Products used during the shower and shave were as follows;
  1. Stirling Soap Electric Sheep Bath Soap
  2. Dollar Shave Club Sage and Black Pepper Shampoo
  3. Dollar Shave Club Sage and Black Pepper Conditioner
  4. Neutragena Invigorating Men Face Wash
  5. AAFES Apricot Invigorating Face Scrub (Mildly aggressive gritty scrub)
  6. Arko Shave Stick
  7. West Coast Shaving Tortoise Shell Black Knot Synthetic (quick drying for travel)
  8. Rockwell 6S
  9. Derby Usta (2nd use)
  10. Gentleman Jon’s Alum Block
  11. Gillette Coolwave Deodorant (USA Version)
  12. Marmara Barber EDC No 1 (Aftershave/Cologne)
The following process is what I used for my SOTD with the Arko Shave Stick. This is also the same process I use with all my shave soaps;
  1. Brushed Teeth
  2. Took Shower
  3. Rinsed brush with hot water
  4. Ran Arko Stick under hot water
  5. Rubbed Arko Stick on face
  6. Lather my face
  7. Cleaned my glasses with finger tip of lather
  8. Waited another minute to let the lather work its magic
  9. Pass I WTG (R6)
  10. Lather face
  11. Pass II XTG (R5)
  12. Lather face
  13. Pass III Chin to Ear (R4)
  14. Check for pick ups
  15. Lather under chin
  16. Got pick ups (R4)
  17. Scrub face with some of the leftover lather
  18. Rinse face
  19. Apply alum to Face
  20. Rinse Alum Block
  21. Clean equipment
  22. Rinse off Alum from face
  23. Dry off
  24. Apply Aftershave
  25. Apply Deodorant
Now for my thoughts.
  1. Time to Lather
    1. Extremely quick and easy
      1. Even faster than the Derby Shave Stick
  2. Quality of Lather
    1. Great quality
    2. Used a bit more water than when I used the Derby Shave Stick
  3. Cushion
    1. Great Cushion
  4. Slickness
    1. Whilst lathered
      1. As slick as hot snot on ice
    2. After Pass (Bare Wet Skin)
      1. Still Passably Slick
  5. Scent
    1. Not the best
    2. Not the worst
    3. A bit stronger than the Derby Shave Stick
    4. Goes great with any Aftershave/Cologne combination
  6. Rinse
    1. A good bit of slickness remains
    2. Less so than the Derby Shave Stick
  7. Post Shave
    1. Meh
      1. Has a drying effect
This is also part of my travel shave set up so I have some sort of variety while on the road. Like the Derby Shave Stick it’s quick, it’s easy, and I don’t have to carry anything else besides the brush, the stick, and my razor for the shave. This product is so close to the Derby Shave Stick it would be easier to list the differences;
  1. Arko has a bit of a stronger scent
  2. Arko takes a bit more water to get the same slickness
  3. Arko is a little easier to rinse off
  4. Arko is a softer out of the package
  5. Arko is a bit more costly
This is my very first shave soap product I have ever used in my traditional wetshaving journey. It definitely has a special place in my heart. My local vendor suggested it one day as I was perusing the bazaar. The vendor and I have a bit of a special relationship. Due to the nature of my work it's hard to get certain products that one would easily purchase back home at a Walmart or shopping mall. I ask him if he can get it these items, and given a enough time he usually comes up with the exact product I'm looking for. Today he had made a suggestion and the price was good being a product more or less local, so I gave it a shot. I loved it. I soon gave away all of my DSC razors, blades, and shave butter. I have yet to look back on a cartridge razor. I think he was happier about me becoming a wetshaver than I was.
20190323_172712[1].jpg
20190323_172747[1].jpg

I think this might be the first time I have ever seen this written about Arko! :lol1:
LOL. True. We're talking about a whole quarter at the time of purchase. $1.25 for the Arko Stick and $1.00 for the Derby Shave Stick.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the review. I have used Arko before but not Derby. I have been meaning to give Derby a go but I have not yet.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Very thoughtful detailed write up thanks
appreciate the work you put in.
Whats r4 ?

Very thoughtful detailed write up thanks
appreciate the work you put in.
Whats r4 ?
It's the #4 plate on the Rockwell 6S. I think it's odd with the Rockwell 6S that the most aggressive plate has the R6 and R5, but the R1 and R3 are on one of the other plates and R2 and R4 are on another plate.
Thanks for the review. I have used Arko before but not Derby. I have been meaning to give Derby a go but I have not yet.
If you can get it on the cheap it isn't a bad soap. I also have the pucks of both Arko and Derby. I haven't broke these out yet. When I do I'll do another review.

Nice review & I agree on most of the observations you made. Arko is in my rotation.
Cool, what differences have you gotten? My reviews are never the begin all, end all. I just can only write what my perspective is. You're not going to hurt my feelings if you had a different outcome. Please, feel free to post.

Arko has a stronger scent but, I can't tell it being stronger scent than Derby. Both smell like soap to me. Arko is softer but, my older stock is quite hard so that I have to bowl lather it.

Arko has a stronger scent but, I can't tell it being stronger scent than Derby. Both smell like soap to me. Arko is softer but, my older stock is quite hard so that I have to bowl lather it.
Yeah, my stock is quite new for both products. I've given them both a good whiff side by side more times that I care to admit. Of course you can't help but notice which one is more or less stiff when you are pressing them into the empty dispenser. Though, you make me wonder about my back up stock with time. Will the Arko become stiffer than the Derby? Will the Derby retain it's "perfume" while Arko fades? Very interesting.

Are you changing plates mid shave?

I have a few much fancier creams and soaps, but I find myself using Arko and Williams more than any of my other soaps.

Derby is in my list of soaps. Where are you finding derby for $1. I’ve gotten Arko for 1.23 a stick from the big river.

Thanks for the review.

@Biglo13
Yes. After each pass I go down one level. I find I get a better, more consistent shave when doing this.

For my Muehle set up I do the same. I use the R41 head for the first pass WTG. Then I use the R89 head for the subsequent passes.

My Blackland Sabre I'll start with L2 for the first pass. Sometimes I'll use the L2 for the second as well. However, I always end up on L1 for the finish.

Where I buy them? A local vendor gets them for me. I'm a bit closer to the Turkish source where I am at right now.

Never thought I'd say such a detailed review on Arko or Derby. Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Good job!

LOL. True. We're talking about a whole quarter at the time of purchase. $1.25 for the Arko Stick and $1.00 for the Derby Shave Stick.

WOW!! Cheaper than Arko!! :a17::a17:

Tough to beat the price/performance for either option!!

WOW!! Cheaper than Arko!! :a17::a17:

Tough to beat the price/performance for either option!!
Yes, extremely tough. I've only been traditional wetshaving for six months. The first few months I went on a spending spree just buying different products. I find the top three products I use are Williams, Arko, and Derby. Everything else is great and I love them, but those three are my meat and potatoes. Those three are the ones that would be in my bomb shelter so to speak if that was necessary. Turns out they are the cheapest ones. A close fourth, for me is Col Conk. Col. Conk is like the ice cream. After having a nice hearty meal, nothing like a bit of ice cream to top it off.

View attachment 965705 View attachment 965706

I was debating with myself whether or not to do this review. The Derby Shave Stick and this product are so close that I am not wondering if they are made in the same factory. I figured since I have so many times referred to this product in my Derby Shave Stick review I should post this. I do hope you enjoy the review. Be warned, this review is extremely close to my Derby Shave Stick review that, with few exceptions, it may just be prudent to scroll down to the bottom of the text for my comments.

So Continuing my shave soap and cream reviews;

This is my review of the Arko Shave Stick. Products used during the shower and shave were as follows;
  1. Stirling Soap Electric Sheep Bath Soap
  2. Dollar Shave Club Sage and Black Pepper Shampoo
  3. Dollar Shave Club Sage and Black Pepper Conditioner
  4. Neutragena Invigorating Men Face Wash
  5. AAFES Apricot Invigorating Face Scrub (Mildly aggressive gritty scrub)
  6. Arko Shave Stick
  7. West Coast Shaving Tortoise Shell Black Knot Synthetic (quick drying for travel)
  8. Rockwell 6S
  9. Derby Usta (2nd use)
  10. Gentleman Jon’s Alum Block
  11. Gillette Coolwave Deodorant (USA Version)
  12. Marmara Barber EDC No 1 (Aftershave/Cologne)
The following process is what I used for my SOTD with the Arko Shave Stick. This is also the same process I use with all my shave soaps;
  1. Brushed Teeth
  2. Took Shower
  3. Rinsed brush with hot water
  4. Ran Arko Stick under hot water
  5. Rubbed Arko Stick on face
  6. Lather my face
  7. Cleaned my glasses with finger tip of lather
  8. Waited another minute to let the lather work its magic
  9. Pass I WTG (R6)
  10. Lather face
  11. Pass II XTG (R5)
  12. Lather face
  13. Pass III Chin to Ear (R4)
  14. Check for pick ups
  15. Lather under chin
  16. Got pick ups (R4)
  17. Scrub face with some of the leftover lather
  18. Rinse face
  19. Apply alum to Face
  20. Rinse Alum Block
  21. Clean equipment
  22. Rinse off Alum from face
  23. Dry off
  24. Apply Aftershave
  25. Apply Deodorant
Now for my thoughts.
  1. Time to Lather
    1. Extremely quick and easy
      1. Even faster than the Derby Shave Stick
  2. Quality of Lather
    1. Great quality
    2. Used a bit more water than when I used the Derby Shave Stick
  3. Cushion
    1. Great Cushion
  4. Slickness
    1. Whilst lathered
      1. As slick as hot snot on ice
    2. After Pass (Bare Wet Skin)
      1. Still Passably Slick
  5. Scent
    1. Not the best
    2. Not the worst
    3. A bit stronger than the Derby Shave Stick
    4. Goes great with any Aftershave/Cologne combination
  6. Rinse
    1. A good bit of slickness remains
    2. Less so than the Derby Shave Stick
  7. Post Shave
    1. Meh
      1. Has a drying effect
This is also part of my travel shave set up so I have some sort of variety while on the road. Like the Derby Shave Stick it’s quick, it’s easy, and I don’t have to carry anything else besides the brush, the stick, and my razor for the shave. This product is so close to the Derby Shave Stick it would be easier to list the differences;
  1. Arko has a bit of a stronger scent
  2. Arko takes a bit more water to get the same slickness
  3. Arko is a little easier to rinse off
  4. Arko is a softer out of the package
  5. Arko is a bit more costly
This is my very first shave soap product I have ever used in my traditional wetshaving journey. It definitely has a special place in my heart. My local vendor suggested it one day as I was perusing the bazaar. The vendor and I have a bit of a special relationship. Due to the nature of my work it's hard to get certain products that one would easily purchase back home at a Walmart or shopping mall. I ask him if he can get it these items, and given a enough time he usually comes up with the exact product I'm looking for. Today he had made a suggestion and the price was good being a product more or less local, so I gave it a shot. I loved it. I soon gave away all of my DSC razors, blades, and shave butter. I have yet to look back on a cartridge razor. I think he was happier about me becoming a wetshaver than I was.View attachment 965705 View attachment 965706

What a great review, Arko will always have a place in my shave shack as it's so affordable yet produces such a great lather. As it's really hot and humid, I'm happy it dries my skin slightly as I start sweating the moment I get out of the shower lol!

What a great review, Arko will always have a place in my shave shack as it's so affordable yet produces such a great lather. As it's really hot and humid, I'm happy it dries my skin slightly as I start sweating the moment I get out of the shower lol!
Yeah. I'm officially on the road now. I just finished a simple two pass shave with it right now. Good shave, but I miss my home set up so to speak.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Arko is a great shave soap regardless of price. I grate the soap and bowl lather. For travel, I use a Tabac stick. My rotation consists of only classic soaps:

Haslinger Schafmilch
Mitchels Wool Fat
Tabac
Arko

Top Bottom