What's new

Better disposable razor for flying or traveling in general?

Any single bladed disposable with a FIXED head. BIC sensitive or the BIC metal are my choices. As a DE razor user I like the fixed head on the disposable as well. Makes it more similar to a DE besides from the weight and also a single blade makes it easy to rinse out. Furthermore, the BIC sensitive can be had at pretty much any gas station around so in a pinch. All this of course only apply to carry-on only trips. Otherwise it is the regular DE razor.

I tried this on my last trip and found the Trac II really rough and uncomfortable. I never shaved with them before, so I am certain it is my technique. Do you all have tips on shaving with a Trac II?
I'd say any non lube strip carts for it should work fine. but I also still use my sticks on the road with it, with and without a brush. I prioritize slickness over cushion for all my shaves. good (enough) lather still counts for a shave, and whatever prep you normally do try to mirror. treating it essentially as a DE/SE (appropriate angles/etc) has worked for me. technique has always been the answer for me, once individual aspects/idiosyncrasies of the tools are sorted. just practice at home with what you're going to travel (as you'll pack/package it) with and dial it in. there are various carts available on the market and that may be a factor for you, but the Personnas were fine for me and I didn't go looking for better.

I did see some Bevel disposable DE razors in Target and wonder if they’d be allowed for travel. They are made of bamboo or something.

Otherwise, I travel with a trac ii.
I have used the disposable Bevel models myself for several days now--they do a nice job.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Post retirement:

BIC Metal if carry-on only.

If checking, I put the blades in my checked luggage and carry my Dopp bag in my carry-on bag.

Pre retirement:

I had offices in the cities I visited regularly and left blades at the office. Carried my Dopp bag without blades in my carry-on. If traveling to a new city, I'd send blades to my hotel so they'd be waiting for me when I arrived.

I almost always bring a Hydro5 disposable, mostly just a custom I somehow fell into. Contrary to what eBay gougers claim, you can still get them directly from Schick. I travel only for leisure and it's always for a week so just one cartridge will do. Unlike when at home, when traveling I do shave daily, and daily shaving is the optimal use for 4 and 5 blade cartridges, since they are likelier to clog when shaving multi-day growth.

Can't you just put your DE razor in your checked bag? I brought a Merkur 34G on a trip last month.

If there is an issue, I might try the Lacura razors from Aldi. I had good luck with that cartridge razor and the disposable before I got into wet shaving. Previously, I liked the Schick Quattro. That's what I had in the late 90s and early 2000s.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
If checking, I put the blades in my checked luggage and carry my Dopp bag in my carry-on bag.

You need to be more careful with carrying on an empty DE razor these days. The rules have changed a bit, and they can take it now. Taking apart a 3 piece and spreading around the parts seems to work ok. But i typically just put the DE razor and blades in my checked luggage these days. Still using the Bic Metal if I carry on only.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
You need to be more careful with carrying on an empty DE razor these days. The rules have changed a bit, and they can take it now. Taking apart a 3 piece and spreading around the parts seems to work ok. But i typically just put the DE razor and blades in my checked luggage these days. Still using the Bic Metal if I carry on only.
The TSA rules seem to vary a bit depending on the airport. ;)

In any event, I don't travel with anything that would ruin my day should it be lost.

Before I retired, I had an office in Denver and was there regularly. Always stayed at the same hotel. Kept a full Dopp bag and a suit with a couple of dress shirts checked at the hotel. Made traveling to Denver much easier. ;)

I tried all three single blade Bics for the heck of it a few months back (white classic, orange sensitive, and the metal). My favorite of the three is the white classic. It is very comfortable to use but the blades don’t last very long.

Top Bottom