What's new

Best shave soap value out there

Certainly agree with Tabac and Cella. Tabac provides a slightly closer shave but Cella's lather is better imo.

The arko shave stick at $1-$2 qualifies. Lukewarm on VDH since it does not last too long.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I had an excellent shave today with Tabac. I will go along with what many of the others say about its value. I have used better, but usually at twice the cost.

The cheaper soaps mentioned are fine products, but in a different league than Tabac.

And, of course, someone always has to mention Williams in a thread like this. There are only a few reasons for this: you can get decent shaves from anything, making the cheapest soap the best value for you; your sense of smell is marginal at best; you have never really taken the time to appreciate what joy can be found in a high quality shave soap. There could be a few other reasons, but not because it is generally perceived as a great performer.

I had an excellent shave today with Tabac. I will go along with what many of the others say about its value. I have used better, but usually at twice the cost.

The cheaper soaps mentioned are fine products, but in a different league than Tabac.

And, of course, someone always has to mention Williams in a thread like this. There are only a few reasons for this: you can get decent shaves from anything, making the cheapest soap the best value for you; your sense of smell is marginal at best; you have never really taken the time to appreciate what joy can be found in a high quality shave soap. There could be a few other reasons, but not because it is generally perceived as a great performer.

Hilarious! I've got a friend in hiis 70s that just used the Williams soap for the first time recently. He told me that if that was the best that he could find he'd just go to that "junk that comes in a can"... He's been using a brush and SS his whole life... That says something to your point I think.

In regards to Williams -

I think we are discussing best value, not best shave soap. I can get about nine or ten pucks of Williams for what I pay for Tabac, I get very good results with Williams using it like a shave stick, and scent is subjective.

If I have the money for small indulgences (thankfully, I do) I'd rather use Tabac, but Williams is a great value.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
In regards to Williams -

I think we are discussing best value, not best shave soap. I can get about nine or ten pucks of Williams for what I pay for Tabac, I get very good results with Williams using it like a shave stick, and scent is subjective.

If I have the money for small indulgences (thankfully, I do) I'd rather use Tabac, but Williams is a great value.

If it works for you, that's great. It doesn't for me and many others, therefore there is absolutely no value in it for me. I get better shaves with a Neutrogena face bar. Besides, I like to take jabs at it just for fun. :lol: The Williams lovers just need to lighten up and realize that there is a reason why so many don't like it.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
For those of you who have used AOS and Tabac, how do you compare the two soaps?

The AOS is very nice, but at least twice the price. I think the Tabac is nearly as good. I wish I could do a side by side comparison, but I never had both at the same time.

Though I actually like Williams - and absolutely love Tabac, Valobra and Cella - my best value soap is the Palmolive; it is dirt cheap and readily available everywhere here in Denmark.

I used Palmolive for my first shave (and then exclusively for more than ten years, cannned goo has never touched my face) - and I hope it stays around long enough for me to use it for my last.

Regards.

Jakob

:lol::lol::lol:

It smells like citronella (eww...Gross!!), and at least for me has zero moisturizing properties.

I am not going to suffer through the horrid scent, just because it costs $1.29 per puck.

Besides VDH Deluxe only costs about .20 cents more per puck, and is the clearly superior product: it smells wonderful, lathers like crazy, and for me is plenty moisturizing. :thumbup1::thumbup:

My vote goes to VDH Deluxe as the best value.

For me the best value is the Irisch Moos shaving stick. Costs me 3 Euros (about $4.30) for 100 gr. Same performance as Tabac at a lesser price.
But if my budget were really tight, the Palmolive stick is unbeatable.

I gotta throw in a vote for Chelsea's Soap Garden soaps. They run about $2.50 and they easily compete with soaps that cost almost 10 times that much in my experience.

Any of you guys tried Chelsea's Soap Garden?

Top Bottom