What's new

Best pre shave cream for sensitive skin?

I’m using Proraso pre shave cream for sensitive skin. It works great, but it smells like Noxema!😂

Any less smelly (but still effective) creams out there?

Thanks!

F2F7DB95-CFC3-4247-8F77-1A4BE69001A6.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, there are pre-shave soaps you can apply with a brush. One of the best is the PAA Cube 2 which is available in an unscented version. There are also scented versions and mentholated ones, but you probably would prefer the unscented one.

This ^^
A good quality soap will eliminate the need for a pre shave routine, just need proper hydration.

Any glycerine soap can be used as pre shave, otherwise you can get Clubman Pinaud shave cream.

It can be used as Pre shave, shave cream and aftershave, smell is subjective.

I’m using Proraso pre shave cream for sensitive skin. It works great, but it smells like Noxema!😂

Thanks!

View attachment 1246950

I use the Proraso Pre Shave and really like the smell. As they say, YMMV. An excellent alternative I have used is the Edwin Jagger Hydrating Preshave Lotion. Barely any scent, but it is mentholated which interfers with the smell of soap for me. For that reason I would always prefer the Proraso, but the EJ pre shave works brilliantly for me (and a number of more expensive alternatives didnt).

Well, there are pre-shave soaps you can apply with a brush. One of the best is the PAA Cube 2 which is available in an unscented version. There are also scented versions and mentholated ones, but you probably would prefer the unscented one.

I used a PAA Cube a few times (unmentholated) and I had terrible shaves. I read the forums, i watched the PAA video on YouTube and some other videos, and I was using it correctly. I mean: how hard can it be? Anyway I wish happy shaving to those who love the Cube but my face hated it for some reason. It went to the shower and I must say it leaves your skin feel lovely and smooth when you use it all over.

I used a PAA Cube a few times (unmentholated) and I had terrible shaves. I read the forums, i watched the PAA video on YouTube and some other videos, and I was using it correctly. I mean: how hard can it be? Anyway I wish happy shaving to those who love the Cube but my face hated it for some reason. It went to the shower and I must say it leaves your skin feel lovely and smooth when you use it all over.
It's basically glycerin soap with some added ingredients to add slickness and maybe some moisturizing. It works fantastically for me. I just apply it with a damp brush, rinse and apply again a very thin layer. Let it sit for a minute or two, then lather over top.

I don't understand what you mean by terrible shaves. How can glycerin soap, similar to Ach. Brito Glyce, used for decades by hundreds of thousands, lead to terrible shaves?

I used 365 pure glycerin soap in a similar way, the PAA cube just seems slicker and does not dry out the skin.

I don't understand what you mean by terrible shaves. How can glycerin soap, similar to Ach. Brito Glyce, used for decades by hundreds of thousands, lead to terrible shaves?
I was thinking the same thing 😂

How can a glycerin add-on cause "terrible shaves" exactly...? 🤔🙄

Perhaps I should have been more specific. By terrible shaves, the actual shave itself was no different to a shave using a different preshave product. No nicks etc. But, and this is why i used the word terrible, i had glowing soreness around two hours after. I once even used the Cube on one side of my face and no pre shave on the other, and the "cube side" was sore after the shave. As for the question how can a product cause this outcome? Damned if i know but im not sufficiently bothered to review the ingredients list and see which aspect i react badly to. Had something similar on TOBS Platinum cream but not as severe and not with each use, whereas I have had many excellent shaves with other TOBS cream. So for me the Cube is one to leave alone but I read that others have great outcomes with it.

Sounds like a reaction to one or more of the ingredients. The Cube has several different tree nut oils, some people are allergic to those. That's just a guess, though.

Sounds like a reaction to one or more of the ingredients. The Cube has several different tree nut oils, some people are allergic to those. That's just a guess, though.
I had the same type of reaction to Cremo shaving cream!🥵
That’s why I only use sensitive skin products.
I asked my dermatologist what’s wrong with my skin...why do I have so many issues? His diagnosis: “Your problem is you have Irish ☘ skin.”🙄

Last edited:

Thanks!

View attachment 1246950

welcome to B&B, Sir Kennyg2019!
Why not try a pre-shave glycerin soap?
You can find either scented or unscented.
Neutrogena will work; several others.
Works great for me!
Simply face lather and slight rinse.
Leaves a nice, slick glycerin layer.

clearly natural glycerin soap flexball omega myrsol k harris albany october 11 2014.jpg

welcome to B&B, Sir Kennyg2019!
Why not try a pre-shave glycerin soap?
You can find either scented or unscented.
Neutrogena will work; several others.
Works great for me!
Simply face lather and slight rinse.
Leaves a nice, slick glycerin layer.

View attachment 1247085
Thank you, Sir Sarimento1!
I LOVE Neutrogena!!!
I use this for my face every day! Is this what you’re talking about?D0184793-0B9B-4496-8A44-34F2BE237A2E.jpeg

yes, indeed.
just wet your face well, rub the soap bar vigorously over whiskers.
then face-lather with your brush.
rinse lightly.
proceed to lather with your regular shave soap or cream.
give it a try and let us know!
Really...that’s crazy. You mean I’ve had the solution to my pre-shave dilemma all along?!😲

Top Bottom