What's new

Best pre shave cream for sensitive skin?

PAA Cube 2 arrives tomorrow :)
I think you'll like it. It is a big 8 oz. block of soap. You may want to come up with a container for it. Also, the instructions say to rub the soap into your beard against the grain. If you do that, you will get so much soap you can shave without needing anything else! I found it works better to use a shave brush to load a little pre-shave soap and apply it to the face that way.

The best pre-shave is to shower before a shave, or use a hot wet towel or something like that.

Next best thing is to use any facial moisturizer of your choice, like a balm, skin food, gel, etc. It doesn't have to be marketed as a pre-shave product. Anything that softens your skin to make it supple will help you have better shaves with less irritation/cuts. There should be tons of options at your local drugstore.

I’m using Proraso pre shave cream for sensitive skin. It works great, but it smells like Noxema!😂

Any less smelly (but still effective) creams out there?

Thanks!

View attachment 1246950

If you like the Proraso (as do I), just not the scent, note that like the Proraso creams, the pre-shave also comes in the blue, red and green varieties. I believe only the green pre-shave is mentholated. I prefer the white and red. YMMV.

The best pre shave for me is Myrsol emulsion. Magic thing and very underrated. Mr Myrsol used to shave using only his Emulsion, no soap or brush. For me, it doesn’t add much to the shave itself, but my face always feel wonderful in days when I use it as preshave. It gives an extra layer of care and protection to the skin, has a very mild scent and a slightly cooling feel from menthol

I like to use Proraso green preshave too, but only for the cool feeling and smell, as I don’t think it adds any actual benefit

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
For me the best preshave is hot water or, if you want to treat yourself, the combined warmth of hot water and hot towels. After that just follow up with a high performing soap.

There is also Tomb 45 gel for sensitive skin, I see a lot of barbers use it.

I've only used Proraso Pre-Shave and Stirling unscented pre-shave.

Probably repeating myself but I love Stirling Unscented pre-shave soap. Has all the ingredients you need. I wet my face and then lather the soap up in my hands and massage my face. I do not rise it off..... just lather your soap or cream up and apply. They offer the soap as mentholated if you want/

If you use a good shaving soap and wash your face with a facial soap prior to shaving, you won't need a pre-shave cream. The only pre-shave cream I use is, ironically enough, Noxema Shave Cream. I use it in the summer when I want a little bit of menthol in the mix.

If the smell of menthol is bothering you, Proraso also has the red and white versions of the pre-shave cream. Why waste money? Buy a bar of Dove Men's Care soap and wash your face prior to the shave.

:redface-new:

The Edwin Jagger and Castle Forbes preshaves have been most effective for me. Proraso is nice and fun to use but less effective. Oils are ok.

Top Bottom