What's new

Best pre shave cream for sensitive skin?

I like the american crew pre-shave oil. It works really well for me and just has a mild clove scent (from clove oil not parfum). Its not greasy and doesn't leave any mess. I swear by it. Use it before your shave or before going against the grain and you'll shave smoother and without irritation. Bottle lasts for ages too. I haven't used any other pre-shave though, pre-shave soaps wouldn't really do anything for sensitive skin (it'd probably make it worse by drying it up). You've already got a pre-shave cream so try the oil. If you wash your face before a shave, skip it. Makes a world of difference. Wash your face at night instead and just rinse with water in the shower. Buying more expensive soap is unlikely to fix your condition as well. The fragrance on its own would make the shave irritating and honestly, I find that super fatty soap just makes my skin feel greasy as opposed to improving the shave.

yes, indeed.
just wet your face well, rub the soap bar vigorously over whiskers.
then face-lather with your brush.
rinse lightly.
proceed to lather with your regular shave soap or cream.
give it a try and let us know!
Will try the Neutrogena today...I have 10 bars of the stuff!😂 Thanks!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
This ^^
...Any glycerine soap can be used as pre shave, otherwise you can get Clubman Pinaud shave cream.

It can be used as Pre shave, shave cream and aftershave, smell is subjective.

Well said! I use Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream as a pre-shave. Apply it by hand for the first pass. It's the slickest and best I've tried. Have used OPR soap as a shave cream...lots of oils in that also, but it's not quite as good as the Pinaud. Just started using Cremo...haven't made up my mind about it yet. Need more time with it.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Is there an unflavored variety?

The scent is...kinda like a mild barbershop scent. It's by no means strong and doesn't linger. No scent is listed on the label of the product...but I'd describe it as a very mild barbershop scent.

I have very sensitive skin. I do shower before I shave using a conditioning shampoo on my beard. However, I do not use any pre-shave products. As long as I use a superb shaving soap, there is no need for a pre-shave. Likewise, as long as I use a superb soap, I have no need for a post-shave product either, other than witch hazel. My soaps are not cheap, but they still cost less than if I had to purchase separate pre-shave and post-shave products. Thus, there are many ways to accomplish the same objective: a very close, irritation free shave and well moisturized skin.

I have tried a few preshave creams but none of them really worked. I preferred preshave oil (particularly King of Shaves Kinexium and Somerset Shave Oil). However, after reading advice here I purchased an unscented pure glycerine soap from an artisan seller here in the UK and it is much more effective as a preshave for me. Pears soap is an okay substitute. but it is pretty highly perfumed and that may cause issues for you.

OK...you were right!:a14:
Neutrogena worked great :thumbup:
Probably helped that I used Stirling soap ;)

congrats!
thanks for posting your results!
stirling is superb, but try again with a different shave soap, just to see.

often, simple solutions are best.
and these get ignored in the mayhem of 'social media experts'!

I’m using Proraso pre shave cream for sensitive skin. It works great, but it smells like Noxema!😂

Any less smelly (but still effective) creams out there?

Pure vegetable glycerin is a good option. It can be purchased at the drugstore or on Amazon for $5 a pint. It has no scent, and no chemicals that could cause problems. Add a drop to your hand and massage it onto your already wet face, then lather up with your soap. A bottle will last you several years worth of fantastic shaves. That's my 2 cents. YMMV.

Pure vegetable glycerin is a good option. It can be purchased at the drugstore or on Amazon for $5 a pint. It has no scent, and no chemicals that could cause problems. Add a drop to your hand and massage it onto your already wet face, then lather up with your soap. A bottle will last you several years worth of fantastic shaves. That's my 2 cents. YMMV.
Man...I'm learning something new every day here...Thanks!

I have bottle of glycerin. It works if I mix it with something else, but it burns if I apply it directly to my face.

I have bottle of glycerin. It works if I mix it with something else, but it burns if I apply it directly to my face.

Interesting. My facial skin is pretty sensitive but glycerin has never bothered me. I guess it falls into the category of YMMV.

Well, there are pre-shave soaps you can apply with a brush. One of the best is the PAA Cube 2 which is available in an unscented version. There are also scented versions and mentholated ones, but you probably would prefer the unscented one.
PAA Cube 2 arrives tomorrow :)

Top Bottom