What's new

Best Gillette DE Blades Ever?

"Time makes the heart grow fonder" seems more true with each year that passes.
Gillette intro'ed the 'Super Blue Blade' in 58 or 59. Carbon steel with some kind of coating. Most comfortable, close, and smooth shaves I've ever had, or that's the way I remember it.

Happy holidays, Ron I
__________________________________________________________________________________

This post really surprises me. Any old DE carbon steel blades that I ever tried felt like I was shaving with a blade that had been used a hundred times. I'm not doubting you, just wondering how to find a carbon steel DE blade like you're describing that gives great shaves. Thanks

This post really surprises me. Any old DE carbon steel blades that I ever tried felt like I was shaving with a blade that had been used a hundred times. I'm not doubting you, just wondering how to find a carbon steel DE blade like you're describing that gives great shaves. Thanks

Look on eBay for a NOS pack of Gillette Super Blues from the 1980s. Don't get the old ones. The newer ones are carbon steel with Teflon coating. I was gifted a pack once and tried one of the blades; it gave a couple of really terrific shaves.

I suspect that anything made before the Spoiler was introduced is more likely to give a relatively uncomfortable shave.

Look on eBay for a NOS pack of Gillette Super Blues from the 1980s. Don't get the old ones. The newer ones are carbon steel with Teflon coating. I was gifted a pack once and tried one of the blades; it gave a couple of really terrific shaves.

I suspect that anything made before the Spoiler was introduced is more likely to give a relatively uncomfortable shave.

I looked on eBay and there were three or four different boxes/tins of blades entitled "Gillette Super Blue Blades"... can you describe the container that has the good ones... my curiosity is piqued.

I looked on eBay and there were three or four different boxes/tins of blades entitled "Gillette Super Blue Blades"... can you describe the container that has the good ones... my curiosity is piqued.

Look for something that looks like this. Could have fewer than 15 blades in it, but this is the general style.
download.jpg

The best Gillette DE blades are those currently being made. Having used every vintage "Golden Age" one I can attest to that. As well, today's metallurgy & sputtering processes are light years ahead of 1960's -70's technology. Also, blades are far cheaper today due to more efficient manuf. processes (and.....cough...overseas labor).

Are Brazilian Super Platinum's still being made, or at least available? Oh, the rabbit hole widens....
I can't say for sure, I'm still finding them on auction sites but prices are rising, so perhaps they have stopped production. Hopefully someone has a more definitive answer.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I can't say for sure, I'm still finding them on auction sites but prices are rising, so perhaps they have stopped production. Hopefully someone has a more definitive answer.
Thanks for the reply. Headed there now...g'nite!

Are Brazilian Super Platinum's still being made, or at least available? Oh, the rabbit hole widens....

No, they were discontinued there years ago and boxed/shipped to the USA to take advantage of NAFTA whereas no tax was paid. A win/win for Gillette and a damn smart business move.

Spoilers are the best Gillettes I've used, with Super Silvers not far behind (maybe not behind at all). They were made using the finest technology available at the time, and with great care, because the DE market was extremely valuable at the time. I suspect this is not true of many, if any, modern DE blades.

The site usrazor.com is about the only place I've found that supplies them in quantity, and they also have most of the lowest priced listings on eBay. I just bought 36 blades for $20 off the site. They should be arriving tomorrow. I suspect once that vendor runs out of stock, they will be very, very hard to get.

This week an eBay order showed up in the mail. It contained a dispenser of 1970s vintage Platinum Plus blades. Having tried one, I can state unequivocally that this was far and away the best blade, by Gillette or PPI or anyone else, that I have ever used. I'll see how close the new PP blades are when I open one up and try it; I understand they have been compared head-to-head and are nearly indistinguishable. These are likely to become special occasion blades.

No, they were discontinued there years ago and boxed/shipped to the USA to take advantage of NAFTA whereas no tax was paid. A win/win for Gillette and a damn smart business move.

Brazil isn't in NAFTA..... But that aside, since there are still blades in the channel, couldn't Brazil just do another production run if supplies in the US finally do run out and there's still demand? I mean, they would have discontinued them because there's not enough demand to keep a line running the things; if they ran enough to fill even part of a container, that would probably be enough to meet demand for years and years.

They have this on Gillette’s website, but you click on buy online and they say sorry. Why advertise them on Gillette.com? I have a stash of both spoiler and Brazil to last me awhile:)4A46E34D-8A39-4928-9340-0F909B9A6A90.png

Brazil isn't in NAFTA..... But that aside, since there are still blades in the channel, couldn't Brazil just do another production run if supplies in the US finally do run out and there's still demand? I mean, they would have discontinued them because there's not enough demand to keep a line running the things; if they ran enough to fill even part of a container, that would probably be enough to meet demand for years and years.

If the blades "touch" a NAFTA country, in this case Mexico, then it applies. Personna does the same with their made in Israel blades, but packaged in Mexico.

Gillette Brazil doesn't make DE blades anymore. There are internet vendors that sell them in bulk there, but alas none ship abroad. The Wilkinson Sword DE blade made there (and still sold in some distributors) was superb.

The original Gillette Super Blue blades were coated with silicon and were Gillette's sharpest blade, per their CEO at the time.

Nacets are my favorite. I went from rotating GSB, yellows, polisilvers and Astras. I reach for a Nacet every day, I can't help my self! Sooo smooth.

Top Bottom