What's new

Best Gillette DE Blades Ever?

I find the 70's Super Silver incredible, very smooth blades. The French made Platinum "Annecy Swedes" are also awesome, super sharp, very long lasting. I don't find any of the new Gillette blades compare to them. There are so many Gillette blades made now, but my theory is that they are all the same blades made on the same machines etc, just labelled up and marketed differently. The old stuff definitely shaves better for me anyway.

Spoilers are the best Gillettes I've used, with Super Silvers not far behind (maybe not behind at all). They were made using the finest technology available at the time, and with great care, because the DE market was extremely valuable at the time. I suspect this is not true of many, if any, modern DE blades.

I realized recently that in the UK, the blades labeled Super Silver were sold in the packaging that had previously been used for Super Stainless, which makes me wonder if they were essentially the same blade.

Easy answer ..... for me and my face, the mighty Gillette Nacet !

IMG_0040.JPG

The shaves I tried with 1960s-vintage Super Blues were wretched. Makes me wonder if the organic coating of the era degrades.

Now, I have also used a newer (1980s) Super Blue blade from after they switched to Teflon coating. I have to say, that was probably the nicest two shaves I've ever had from a blade.

I think if you were ever to ask Gillette itself, they'd likely tell you the Platinum Plus. That was the top of the US line when DE blades were still mainstream. One of these days I mean to get a pack to test that theory.

In this post I am going to argue with my previous post. I have learned how easy it is to open Gillette metal dispensers. So today I got my pack of 1961 Super Blues back out, opened it up, counted out the 14 remaining blades, selected one from the bottom, popped it into my Slim and shaved with it. And it gave me a perfectly good shave. Should not have cast judgment based on a single blade, which was clearly not at design specifications. I mean, it wasn't the absolute most efficient shave I've ever had, but I can now see how these were a revelation compared to uncoated Blues.

I also learned, while reassembling the pack, that they are magnetic and it is important to stack them the right way or they will repel each other.

I've never met a St. Petersburg blade I didn't like. So far I've tried Astra SP, Silver Blue, and 7 O'Clock Green, and I'm still really curious to try Rubie, Nacet, and 7 O'Clock Yellow.

The spoilers are the best blades I own. I bought a stash of Platinum Plus and they didn’t like my face so I sold them.

Spoilers give me a great shave every time. Maybe why I have stockpiled over 1,500

The 7 O'Clock Super Stainless is the heir to the "Spoiler" and made with better steel & technology. Today's blades simply have better materials & coatings.

Some. Maybe. Having experienced both vintage and new, Gillette's higher end (Super Stainless and Platinum Plus) blades made and sold in the US in the 1970s and 1980s were of exceptional quality. I find that currently-made higher quality Gillette-branded blades meant for European sale are at least as good as vintage blades. But there's a lot of midrange and low end stuff out there meant for sale in second and third world countries that can't touch anything Gillette was making in the 1970s.

I will refer you here to the "shave off" blind SxS test between a NOS Gillette Plat Plus and a modern Brazilian one whereas the tester could discern absolutely zero difference. There is more legend & myth surrounding NOS blades that facts IMO, especially Gillette. Today's modern blades are simply better made & far cheaper when inflation is factored in. Try the Rubie. :wink:

I will refer you here to the "shave off" blind SxS test between a NOS Gillette Plat Plus and a modern Brazilian one whereas the tester could discern absolutely zero difference. There is more legend & myth surrounding NOS blades that facts IMO, especially Gillette. Today's modern blades are simply better made & far cheaper when inflation is factored in. Try the Rubie. :wink:

I've read it, and that was actually part of my point. I have new Brazilian platinum plus blades and half of a dispenser of the vintage ones. They are both better than any of the PPI made Gillette and 7 o'clock blades I've tried, and one of the vintage ones gave me the single best shave I've ever had. But I have so few vintage that I almost never use them. To me the best new blades are the equal of the best vintage blades, but just equal, not better, so I won't pay a big premium for vintage blades, but I do like having some around.

I've used PPI Gillette Platinums, GSBs, Stainless, both 7 o'clocks, and also the India blacks. I have 100 of the GSBs. To me, only they and the SharpEdge blades could stand with either of the Platinum Plus blades, and nothing made by anyone other than PPI except German Wilkinson Sword are even close to that.

I've adjusted to the Wilkies and they are my daily use blade, because I can get them locally at a low price and they give me quick and painless BBS shaves whenever I want one. The Brazilian Platinum Plus blades are for when I absolutely, positively have to get a perfect shave. But they were expensive, so once my original order of twelve 3-packs is gone there won't be any more. The GSBs are equal to the Wilkies for me. I don't bother with anything else, though I'd happily buy the SharpEdge blades again. They're nice. I haven't tried a Rubie and frankly don't see any need to when I can get the other PPI blades for about the same price and I already know their quality. I don't need to experiment anymore.

I'm curious to see what do you think is the best Gillette blade ever made. I think we probably all agree that the old carbon steel ones are rough, so I feel sure that we're talking about stainless DE blades.

OK, I think that we all know that this is an individual matter...we all have varying opinions, but I'm curious if there is one or two varieties that quite a few people agree are Gillette's best blade ever.

I guess the best ones I've tried are the Gillette Super Stainless "Spoiler" blades... what about you?

First, you need to realize that, unless like me you search out pristine, sealed examples that have been kept in a very dry environment, your experience with vintage carbon blades is not at all what they were like when new. That said the very best Gillette blades in my experience are both vintage. Platinum Plus and "Spoilers".

Gillete super platinum for me. They seem just as sharp as the sharpedge and nacet, but i end up with less nicks.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

First, you need to realize that, unless like me you search out pristine, sealed examples that have been kept in a very dry environment, your experience with vintage carbon blades is not at all what they were like when new. That said the very best Gillette blades in my experience are both vintage. Platinum Plus and "Spoilers".

I had wondered about that... I suspected that they must have been better when first manufactured than when I've tried them. I'll have to see if I'm able to find some in pristine condition. But, I agree about the Platinum Plus and Spoilers... they'll spoil you! :001_cool:

I like the vintage Platinum Plus and Brazilian Platinum Plus equally, I used a vintage Spoiler a couple weeks ago and it was just as good.
I just need to determine how long they last in comparison to the ones currently still being manufactured, of the ones currently still in production and strictly only with the Gillette name on it I like the Rubies Platinum plus and the 7oclock black from India.

One of my favorites is the Polsilver Super Iridium that is from PPI but does not have the Gillette name on it.
It’s also one of the longest lasting blades I use.

Top Bottom