What's new

Best Gillette DE Blades Ever?

I'm curious to see what do you think is the best Gillette blade ever made. I think we probably all agree that the old carbon steel ones are rough, so I feel sure that we're talking about stainless DE blades.

OK, I think that we all know that this is an individual matter...we all have varying opinions, but I'm curious if there is one or two varieties that quite a few people agree are Gillette's best blade ever.

I guess the best ones I've tried are the Gillette Super Stainless "Spoiler" blades... what about you?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
So far, Gillette SharpEdge for the keenest edge on first shave, and Astra SP (is that Gillette?) for best balance of sharpness and smoothness. This is specifically with Gillette blades, as I still find Feather the sharpest, and German Wilkinson to have the best balance. The Indian Gillette Wilkinson isn't bad, but I do prefer the German.

GSB and Nacet were quite underwhelming, as was the Super Thin, but I do seem to do better with platinum coated blades than plain stainless.

Gillette Platinum is tops for me. Runners up are Perma-sharp Super, Nacet and 7 o'clock sharp edge. Honorable mention goes to 7 o'clock super platinum and Gillette Wilkinson Sword.

"Time makes the heart grow fonder" seems more true with each year that passes.
Gillette intro'ed the 'Super Blue Blade' in 58 or 59. Carbon steel with some kind of coating. Most comfortable, close, and smooth shaves I've ever had, or that's the way I remember it.

Happy holidays, Ron I

While there are differences between the blades, and each blade performs a little differently in each razor, I haven't found a Gillette blade I don't like.

"Time makes the heart grow fonder" seems more true with each year that passes.
Gillette intro'ed the 'Super Blue Blade' in 58 or 59. Carbon steel with some kind of coating. Most comfortable, close, and smooth shaves I've ever had, or that's the way I remember it.

Happy holidays, Ron I

The shaves I tried with 1960s-vintage Super Blues were wretched. Makes me wonder if the organic coating of the era degrades.

Now, I have also used a newer (1980s) Super Blue blade from after they switched to Teflon coating. I have to say, that was probably the nicest two shaves I've ever had from a blade.

I think if you were ever to ask Gillette itself, they'd likely tell you the Platinum Plus. That was the top of the US line when DE blades were still mainstream. One of these days I mean to get a pack to test that theory.

For modern made blades, for me, Gillette Platinum Plus from Brazil is the best, with GSB's being my best "every day" blade. That said, I like the other Russian made Gillette blades, too.

Top Bottom