What's new

Best disposable straight?

I know disposable straights might be frowned upon, i dont really know, im a DE guy... anyways i want to try out straight shaving but do not have the money for the start up for a tradition straight razor. Plus, this would allow me to bypass the honing learning curve during my experimentation. So, what is the best of the disposables on the market? What are the best blades?

Thanks for the info!

Hi

Have a look at the review for the Sanguine X-D20. It meets all your criteria, and I found the transition from it to a "proper" straight pretty straightforward. Personally, I like using Wilkinson or Personna blades in the X-D20; but (as with DE shaving) I guess it's down to individual preference. Since you're already a DE shaver, why not use whichever blade you already prefer?

Enjoy!

David

justpursuit

I'll put in a word for the lowly Fromm Hairshaper. It's a frameback razor that uses a specially designed disposable SE blade. Because the armiture holds only the back edge of the blade, the blade is truly "open". It feels like a straight and can be stropped.

The Hairshaper has a number of drawbacks: it is small enough that it would be difficult for a person with large hands to handle, the monkey tail is plastic and it's flimsy, and the blades are relatively expensive - fifity cents to a dollar each. Despite these shortcomings I have found the Fromm to be a useful item.

The razor itself is inexpensive, and has served me well both as a daily shaver and a travel razor.

FWIW

Graham

I have tried the Dovo Shavette and the Sanguine. Both are good razors, but my personal preference is the Sanguine. The Dovo is easier to load, takes a variety of blade sizes, and has slightly more blade exposure. The Sanguine is heavier and feels more like a real straight, and only uses 1/2 DE blades. Either one will do the job. I've also tried a vintage Weck with the Fromm blades. That one has too much blade exposure; I gave up on it after the third slice.

Feather AC is the best disposable straight razor, although not the cheapest. Some say the technique used for an AC is closer to a DE then a real straight though. I use it and love it.

Hey! I'm a newbie at this whole wetshaving thing and I've been thinking about giving straights a try but on a budget right now. Where could I get a Sanguine X-D20 or something similar?

Hey! I'm a newbie at this whole wetshaving thing and I've been thinking about giving straights a try but on a budget right now. Where could I get a Sanguine X-D20 or something similar?

Here is the Sanguine X-D20:
http://sanguinescissors.co.uk/shaving-razors-gear-30/sanguine-xd20-razors-79.html
There are a few more colors if you look around the site.

For myself now, I really like the feather AC but what i read on shaveblog it sounds dangerous.
http://shaveblog.com/?s=feather+ac&submit=GO

I did some reading on B&B too and am getting mixed feelings about it. I can see myself using the straight on special occasions and for a long time. I am one to rough things out to learn things so i dont think it would be a waste to try with the AC considering it costs a bit more. i just want to know if its practical? I dont see myself getting a traditional straight any time soon, although in a few years i could see myself getting one if i have a good experience with the feather AC or comparable.

So the question is basically, is this AC danger hype so drastic that i should avoid it for now? I don't want to get a dovo or sanguine now and then just find in a few months that i find myself needing the AC when i could just jump right into the AC.

Thanks,

-ed-

I have tried the Dovo Shavette and the Sanguine. Both are good razors, but my personal preference is the Sanguine. The Dovo is easier to load, takes a variety of blade sizes, and has slightly more blade exposure. The Sanguine is heavier and feels more like a real straight, and only uses 1/2 DE blades. Either one will do the job. I've also tried a vintage Weck with the Fromm blades. That one has too much blade exposure; I gave up on it after the third slice.

which dovo r u talking about, i got the stainless steel version and its quite hefty, if the sanguine is heavier than that than i might just get it

Here is the Sanguine X-D20:
http://sanguinescissors.co.uk/shaving-razors-gear-30/sanguine-xd20-razors-79.html
There are a few more colors if you look around the site.

For myself now, I really like the feather AC but what i read on shaveblog it sounds dangerous.
http://shaveblog.com/?s=feather+ac&submit=GO

I did some reading on B&B too and am getting mixed feelings about it. I can see myself using the straight on special occasions and for a long time. I am one to rough things out to learn things so i dont think it would be a waste to try with the AC considering it costs a bit more. i just want to know if its practical? I dont see myself getting a traditional straight any time soon, although in a few years i could see myself getting one if i have a good experience with the feather AC or comparable.

So the question is basically, is this AC danger hype so drastic that i should avoid it for now? I don't want to get a dovo or sanguine now and then just find in a few months that i find myself needing the AC when i could just jump right into the AC.

Thanks,

-ed-

I have and use DE's, Straights, and a Feather AC DX. You can hurt yourself with all of them if you aren't careful. The AC DX may be slightly easier to cut yourself with than a regular straight, but if you pay attention to what you are doing, it shouldn't be a problem. I can't say it enough; Concentrate, and Pay Attention To What You Are Doing.
I am one of the guy's that think the DX is worth the extra bucks (over a standard AC), you'll have to decide that for yourself. Another thing with the AC, is that you can always recoup a good percentage of your money if you don't like it.
Go ahead and buy one, you know you want to.:biggrin:
Best regards, Ken.

I have an x-d20, my only non-DE, so I am not a good reference, but I was less than impressed with the couple times I tried to use it. Seemed like it barely cut any hair, just kind of pushed over them, and scraped the top layer of skin off. I end up finishing the job with a DE. I am sure my problem is technique, so I will keep working on it, if nothing else it is fantastic for exfoliation. :wink: Convenience factor is why I went with this model, I had it shipped from the UK, and it was fast and cheap.

Hi

Have a look at the review for the Sanguine X-D20. It meets all your criteria, and I found the transition from it to a "proper" straight pretty straightforward. Personally, I like using Wilkinson or Personna blades in the X-D20; but (as with DE shaving) I guess it's down to individual preference. Since you're already a DE shaver, why not use whichever blade you already prefer?

Enjoy!

David

I didn't like the X-D20 much and was much happier when I got myself a Dovo Shavette, it's a much better razor if you ask me. YMMV.

I didn't like the X-D20 much and was much happier when I got myself a Dovo Shavette, it's a much better razor if you ask me. YMMV.

Both razors have their strong and weak points. I really like the Sanguine during the shave, but I hate loading the 1/2 blade in it; the blade either moves out of position or falls completely out while you swing the two sides together. Fitting the blade into the Dovo's plastic insert is much easier. It would be nice if the insert were made of a heavier material, to put a little weight out there on the blade.

I'm pretty sure im going with the feather. I have a reason to treat myself in a bit over a week, so that's when ill order!

Top Bottom