What's new

Procedure after receiving vintage razor

As described in David Warther's (his family has been working and selling ivory on and off since 1902) article on ivory working and preservation, I use light coats of pure mineral oil after sanding or cutting. Organic oils are specifically contraindicated for fear of staining, and because they go rancid over time. He further recommends renaissance wax for longer term protection.

With mechanical or gun oils, I might be concerned about solvent or detergent additives potentially degrading the material over time.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Almond oil hey? I ordered some pure one from Amazon and will give it a try.

You can get food grade almond oil in most local supermarkets. Check the date, almond oil goes rancid quickly, ala Cella.

It’s a great oil. High temp fry oil if you don’t need a lot of it.

As described in David Warther's (his family has been working and selling ivory on and off since 1902) article on ivory working and preservation, I use light coats of pure mineral oil after sanding or cutting. Organic oils are specifically contraindicated for fear of staining, and because they go rancid over time. He further recommends renaissance wax for longer term protection.

With mechanical or gun oils, I might be concerned about solvent or detergent additives potentially degrading the material over time.
Yes, I do use Ren Wax.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I hate the smell of Cella.

Almond oil doesn’t have an odor or not much of one. It’s a good high heat cooking oil though expensive and even a small bottle seems to go rancid, even in the fridge, before I can use it up.

Almond oil doesn’t have an odor or not much of one. It’s a good high heat cooking oil though expensive and even a small bottle seems to go rancid, even in the fridge, before I can use it up.
Good. Because whatever they put in that soap is not compatible with me and I was hoping the almond oil doesnt have the same smell. It should arrive today.

Very interesting thread.
I just received this old razor with ivory scales. I think is my oldest razor that I own.
Any thoughts about the maker/age and how to not destroy the scales?

Thank you
s-l1600-95.jpg
s-l1600-92.jpg

This is just what I do to bring back to life a simple tool like this.
20240320_150650.jpg

Chemical corrosion removal using corosol
20240320_150943.jpg

All purpose cleaner in this ultrasonic cleaner
20240320_151930.jpg

Some hand buffing using metal Polish.
Ready for honing.
20240320_154512.jpg

Top Bottom