What's new

Best Blades For Your Money?

I just tried my first few Voskhod blades. I like em so well...I bought the company! Seriously, I've never placed a hundred blade order , but I bought 100 Voskhod blades. The V's were so good and so cheap, I figure why buy Feathers again. Until this 100 blade order, I'd throw in a tuck or two with soap and aftershave orders. I hope the Voshkod blades are available well into the future.

I was wondering which blades offer the best shave, for the best value. Since this is a very subjective question, please give your best "opinion".
Sure, there are some very inexpensive blades, but do they offer a good shave? My criteria is at least three smooth sharp shaves.
Then, there are some expensive blades, costing 4x the cost of others. But, do they offer 4x the number of smooth shaves?

My three choices are:
1. Voskhod- $7.83 per 100, delivered. They combined shipping for that total.
2. Astra SP- $9.97 per 100, delivered.
3. Persona Blues, comfort coated one's. Around $13 per 100, delivered.
Prices are subject to change. This is what I paid.

My opinion could change, if Feather blades ever come down in price.

I would agree that Personna Reds are good value for money. However, I"m of the opinion that Feathers are the best value because of their consistency and durability. It's not uncommon for me to get 10-15 shaves out of one blade, and that's 2-3 passes with a moderately tough beard. Granted, they are over $30 per 100 with shipping etc. here in Yurrup, but still.

Just ordered the Voskhod blades and missed the $11.00 window, ordered them anyway, got them for $12.25 for the 100.
For me they are worth every penny, I find them very smooth and I'm getting (6-8) , but don't get me wrong I also like more
expensive blades Polsilver SI are one of my favorites but I get (8-10) from them and for some crazy reason the Merkur blades
work extremely well for me, I'm getting (15) plus on them for some unknown reason. These decisions seem to be relative, some guys will toss a blade at the first sign of a tug, others will toss every Monday and still others only when the moon is full.

For me it's simple, I need to get at least a DFS almost every time and a BBS when I have the prep time and the right set up, on weekends and I just shy away from a harsh shave, if I'm in a hurry I will not drop a Feathers in any razor.

As far as the pick for the best value priced de blade goes my preference if I want 100 blades in the $10 to $14 dollar range is the Astra SP.
I don't consider these any less of a blade than my other favorites like Feather, Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, PolSilver Super Iridium, PermaSharp, Gillette 7 O'Clock Black, and Gillette Silver Blues.

If I want something dirt cheap that I still find very enjoyable then I like the Racer blades that can be found for as little as $5 for 100 but with the shipping they will run the price closer to $10. They hold their own quite well with all of the other blades that I use and enjoy. The Racer blades I find very sharp and they have the longevity to give me a good 4 to 5 quality shaves per blade. I'm not sure how they are for everyone else but they work great in my ATT razor.

I've found a lot of low cost (dirt cheap) blades like Treet that give me one really great shave and then the sharpness falls off a cliff, this makes them no longer low cost if you're only getting one great shave per blade. The majority of really low cost blades are just bad from the start and stay that way. There are some exceptions in the inexpensive blades that give you sharpness and longevity but most aren't going to pleasantly surprise you.

You do have to find what blade works best for you in your particular razor though.

+1. Astra SPs are NICE blades. Also like Crystals and Personna Reds.

Fortunately India has some pretty good blades locally manufactured. My list includes

Gillette Wilkinson India (Shanghai made) - The best value for money blades
Gillette Super Platinum Blacks - insanely sharp and lasts a long time
Super Max Super Platinum - cheap blades locally and good number of shaves

Astras SP are the best current production blades for the money but not necessarily the best current production blade.

My ultimate favourites are NOS Gillette, Wilkinson sword or Schick stainless steel blades. They are pricey but since they provide me more than twice the shaves per blade as current production, it makes them affordable.

Top Bottom