What's new

Best Blades For Your Money?

Hands down, the US Personna 100 pack for about $12. They are sharp, smooth, and long lasting. While Astras and Rapiras are cheaper, the Personna offers more shaves so is better bang for the buck.

There are a few in the "best blade for the money" category: 10-13 cents/blade, 2 cents/shave (IMO/IME)

Astra SP ($10/100)
Personna "Labs" ($12-13/100)
Voskhod ($11/100)

Where can I find Voskhod blades in Europe under 20 EUR, can't seem to find any online store that carries them (at a reasonable price that is)

Price/value wise you won't beat the Personna Blues, unless you get them for $11 on Amazon.

Personnally, I like the Personna Med Preps, but that'll cost you $25. I have to admit, the value for the price differential isn't really there, but I like what I like.

And since this is a year's worth of blades for $1 / month difference, live a little.

If price is no object, Polsilvers for me, but if I'm on a budget it has to be the Astras, its a poor man's Polsilver.

Why can't you order the Voskhods on EBay and have them shipped from Russia, like we do? Around $11-$12 for 100, I think.

A couple of ways to look at the question.

Best shaving very inexpensive blade? Treet Black Beauties.

Cheapest blade that actually delivers good shaves? SuperMax Platinums, SuperMax SS, or Lord Racers

For not a lot more money than these mentioned, however, puts you in a category of a constellation of good products.

Thing about blades (rough numbers) the cheapest ones go for about a nickel, when bought in bulk, and the most expensive ones go for about 35 cents. At five shaves per blade, that means the cheapest blade is a penny a shave, and the most expensive, seven cents.

I don't know about you, but where I live and work, if I keep my eyes open, I can pick up 25 to 50 cents a day in pennies and dimes just laying around on the ground. Most people don't even bother to bend over to pick up a coin on the ground, unless it's a quarter.

That's one of the great things about all of this. Truly, a working person can afford just as nice a shave as a banker or politician. It's a great equalizer.

Get whatever blade you want and don't worry about the cost. The cost is, literally, and at most, six cents a day. Easy scrounge money.

I don't worry about the cost, but I get just as good a shave with Derby or Astra as with Feathers or Gillette. The first two last me longer than the Feathers, so the Feathers cost more and give me fewer good shaves. The only difference I've noticed in blades is longevity, and no blade gives me more than about 5 good shaves. I also never get a BBS shave in 2 passes since my hairs grow in all directions and an ATG pass - at least mostly ATG pass - is a requirement for me to get to BBS level. With most razors, I need 4 passes to get to BBS levels.

If I'll settle for a DFS-, a shave where you don't feel a lot of stubble with your finger going ATG but where it is very definitely there, then I can do a 2 pass shave with most razors.

I'm using a Gillette 7 O'Clock Black Blade right now and have 26 shaves on it and it's still sharp and smooth. So even if I can only squeeze 20 shaves per blade out of them at $17/84 that comes out to 1 cent per shave...that's pretty rock bottom pricing!

Astra SP and Personna Labs for cheap but Nacet and GSB are better for me but cost a little more. I purchased some Voskhods and Rapira's but have not tried them yet, they were a good cheap deal though!

Last edited:
It looks like prices are rising on various Russian blades, so, are there other blades that give great shaves, for a low price?
Right now, I'm loving my 7o'clock Yellows. A little pricier than Voskhods, or some others. But, they give such a nice shave, that I had to order 100, they are that good.
The Personna Blues are a great blade, for a very good price.

For me it would be Derby and Lord Platinum (my first two big blade purchases) after going through many sample packs.

Your best bet is to try several blade sample packs, find out which give the best shave and number of shaves for you.

Where did you find that price at ??

At the time, they were going for $5 per 100, with $5 shipping. Several had them at that price. I contacted some, to see if they would combine shipping. Two replied, and one was $23 something for 300, total, with shipping. It came out to $7.83 per 100. I thought it was a good deal. They slowly started to climb, after that. I don't know what they go for now.

I really like astra sp. haven't tried the voskhod yet but feel like I need to from these post. I can usually get about 21 days on an astra sp before it starts feeling like its dragging on my face.

Your own math proves the Voskhod gives you the most shaves for the least cost at .0035 cents per shave.
Also, it says the Feathers only give you .1 cents per shave, which is the least cost effective blade of the four.

Even if a pack of 100 lasts 8 years, it is almost 3 1/2 Times the cost of the Voskhods.
So, if you spent as much on the Voskhods, as you did on the Feathers, you would get roughly 17.5 years of shaving, with the Voskhods.
The math is done in my head, so please don't quote me. 8.2 vs 17.5 years, big difference.

That aside, I still enjoy feathers the most.

It depends in which country... In Eastern Europe you can get lots of stuff in a fly market (tax free:thumbup:), in Western Europe it's almost impossible. Available blades (tax free) are from St. Petrsburg, so 100 PSI/GSB are around 12-14 euro in Serbia (Bulgaria 8-10). Astras are even less...

Top Bottom